Unable to create restore point

When I try to create/change a restore point, I get an error box labeled
"System Restore Application."

The message in the box says: System Restore Application has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It is suggested that an error report be sent to Microsoft, which I have done
on several occasions.

The "details" of the problem show that the Application Name is rstrui.exe.

Does anybody know of a knowledge base article that deals with this problem?
Better yet, tell me how to fix it.

Hi Gordon,

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore folder and rename rstrui.exe
to rstrui.xxx.
System File Protection should replace it. If it is replaced click on
it and test System Restore.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Gordon Nelson wrote:
> When I try to create/change a restore point, I get an
> error box labeled "System Restore Application."
>
> The message in the box says: System Restore Application
> has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience."
> It is suggested that an error report be sent to
> Microsoft, which I have done on several occasions.
>
> The "details" of the problem show that the Application
> Name is rstrui.exe.
> Does anybody know of a knowledge base article that deals
> with this problem? Better yet, tell me how to fix it.

Bert--

Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. Same error message as before. I
would welcome your guidance on the next step, assuming there is one. Have a
good one.

Gordon Nelson

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Gordon,
>
> Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore folder and rename rstrui.exe to
> rstrui.xxx.
> System File Protection should replace it. If it is replaced click on it
> and test System Restore.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Gordon Nelson wrote:
>> When I try to create/change a restore point, I get an
>> error box labeled "System Restore Application."
>>
>> The message in the box says: System Restore Application
>> has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
>> sorry for the inconvenience."
>> It is suggested that an error report be sent to
>> Microsoft, which I have done on several occasions.
>>
>> The "details" of the problem show that the Application
>> Name is rstrui.exe.
>> Does anybody know of a knowledge base article that deals
>> with this problem? Better yet, tell me how to fix it.

Hi Gordon,

I was hoping that would work. The next step would be to reinstall
System Restore. The only downfall is that all restore points will be
purged in the process. But if SR don't work it doesn't matter anyway.

How to reinstall System Restore.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

--

Gordon Nelson wrote:
> Bert--
>
> Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. Same error
> message as before. I would welcome your guidance on the
> next step, assuming there is one. Have a good one.
>
> Gordon Nelson
>
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Gordon,
>>
>> Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore folder and
>> rename rstrui.exe to rstrui.xxx.
>> System File Protection should replace it. If it is
>> replaced click on it and test System Restore.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Gordon Nelson wrote:
>>> When I try to create/change a restore point, I get an
>>> error box labeled "System Restore Application."
>>>
>>> The message in the box says: System Restore Application
>>> has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
>>> sorry for the inconvenience."
>>> It is suggested that an error report be sent to
>>> Microsoft, which I have done on several occasions.
>>>
>>> The "details" of the problem show that the Application
>>> Name is rstrui.exe.
>>> Does anybody know of a knowledge base article that deals
>>> with this problem? Better yet, tell me how to fix it.

Bert--

I have followed your system restore link and also looked at the event
viewer. I think I am getting in over my head and I believe in my gut that
there are a number of interrelated problems that are tied together down in
the bowels of the operating system. (WinXP OEM with all MS service packs and
updates.)

I am inclined at this point to reinstall the OEM OS and then download all
the updates, etc., again.

Alternatively, I could go out and buy a MS WinXP upgrade/SP2 disk and go
with that.

I have unloaded and removed all of the Symantec software and am still unable
to reinstall Norton Internet Security, etc. Otherwise, everything works OK.
As best I can tell, I have not lost any data. If I do a repair reinstall
over the existing installation (OEM) what kind of problems do I have?

> Hi Gordon,
>
> I was hoping that would work. The next step would be to reinstall System
> Restore. The only downfall is that all restore points will be purged in
> the process. But if SR don't work it doesn't matter anyway.
>
> How to reinstall System Restore.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Gordon Nelson wrote:
>> Bert--
>>
>> Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. Same error
>> message as before. I would welcome your guidance on the
>> next step, assuming there is one. Have a good one.
>>
>> Gordon Nelson
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Gordon,
>>>
>>> Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore folder and
>>> rename rstrui.exe to rstrui.xxx.
>>> System File Protection should replace it. If it is
>>> replaced click on it and test System Restore.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://dts-l.org/

Hi Gordon,

So you are saying you reinstalled System Restore and the problem
persists, correct?