Computer does not boot properly

TXN

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the write area but I came home today to a computer that no longer turned on properly.
A certain family member of mine tells me that she was downloading something when all of a sudden many windows popped up alerting her about a serious infection (AVG Free). It prompted her to 'clean' this infection but that meant the removal of a very long list of files. In panic, she went and manually turned off the computer.

Now, the computer no longer boots properly. After the intial page the screen stays black. I have tried running it in safe mode but the screen freezes after the page dump.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do. I'd rather not format the computer as some of the files are quite important.

Thanks

Alternatives beside window new installation :
1. Push F8 just before the windows starts to load, then try to repair stuff from safe mode, or try to repair using system restore.
2. Boot using windows installtion disc and try to repair using system restore or repair the start up problems..

TXN

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

I can't use Safe mode because it freezes after the page dump

I think I might try repairing :cry:

TXN

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Thanks for replying guanyu
I did a Windows repair. However, theres this one problem.
Halfway through Windows setup it asks me to insert 'nVidia Bus Installatiopn Disc #1'.
I have no idea what this is. I have a dsc of drivers but I can't seem to find the file.
And I can't find a working download for the file.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Did that family member clicked okay to do the cleanup when the window popped up? If so and the virus started to delete files then she shut down, there is a chance that your OS is beyond repair. I would save whats important in that disk and format it for a new install.

I agree.
Get all of your precious data out of that HDD and just fully re-install the windows.
This is also, why I always have my HDD image (via Acronis), just in case something wrong happens.
I have also another OS on my hand both as live cd and on my second partition, yes...you guessed it correct... I have also Linux.
I use Windows only for games...the rest, Linux will do just fine...
If anything goes wrong, I can still go to internet and/or save my data...