• Graphics Cards
  • Camcorders
  • HD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2010 5:45:06 AM

Hello,
I recently purchased a samsung HD camcorder and i need a much better graphics card in order to view and or edit the files on my PC. I was wondering which graphics card the community here would suggest. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the files are stacking up on the hard drive until i can get a good enough card to do something with them.

Thanks in advance

More about : graphics card

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 5:48:26 AM

Post your current PC configuration.Then we can try to help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 5:57:12 AM

something like a GT210 or 5570 should do the job.

this is 50 bucks after cashback: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thats 55 after rebate.

id suggest the latter, but that more money up front with a bigger rebate.

assuming you have a fairly decent CPU and a power supply thats capable, either of those should do.

but as tamz has noted, we need your system specs to be sure we are recommending the right card.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2010 5:33:04 PM

cyber spyder said:
Hello,
I recently purchased a samsung HD camcorder and i need a much better graphics card in order to view and or edit the files on my PC. I was wondering which graphics card the community here would suggest. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the files are stacking up on the hard drive until i can get a good enough card to do something with them.

Thanks in advance

A graphic card won't be much help if all you are doing is editing. If rendering / special effects / 3D is what you do, then it does get worthwhile.
Invest in a fast processor & a decent amount of RAM instead.
m
l
July 23, 2010 1:38:11 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.... Here are some of the specs of what i'm using:

Gateway model 510s
Pentium IV 2.6 ghz (800 mhz fsb i believe)
2 gigs ram
Intel 82865g graphics controller 64 megs ram

When trying to view the videos at 1280x720, they are very slow and jumpy.. maybe a couple of fps. If i try to view 1920x1080 files, i get 1 or 2 frames and then the picture freezes and all i get is sound. These are all in the h264 mp4 file format. I know the on board graphics card is crap and i never had much need for an accelerator until now. I'm not looking to do any rendering per se, eventually i might. For now i just want to be able to view the files, process them and burn them to DVD's.

Thanks again for your replies and i will check into those cards. I just don't want to buy anything if my PC is not fast enough. The camcorder takes incredible video, i just can't do anything with the files at the moment and it's pissing me off.

Cyber Spyder
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2010 1:53:36 AM

You need a better CPU, which in turn will require you to get a new motherboard and potentially new RAM. With those, you might also need a new PSU, which requires a new case as I doubt it will fit in that Gateway. So pretty much you need a new build.

Whats your budget?
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:11:35 AM

That's what i was thinking but i was hoping to get away with just a video card. Budget is wide open, just didn't want to go through the trouble of loading all the software on to another HD and configuring everything all over again. Although i could pop the old HD into a an external enclosure and use it on the new system i suppose.

Thanks for everyone's help, i really appreciate it. If anyone has any suggestions as to which type of CPU and graphics card combo i should be looking into, please feel free to reply. The last time i built a PC from scratch was about 3 years ago when i built my two MAME cabinets and have no idea what is out there as far as faster processors are concerned.

Cyber Spyder
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:55:34 AM

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions as to which type of CPU and graphics card combo i should be looking into, please feel free to reply.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend on a new pc.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:39:55 AM

Ok, here is what i'm thinking of purchasing... this is what i have configured so far, adding the 6 core cpu and dual video cards, 6 gigs ram etc... check it out and lmk what you guys think if it's worth the money....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3902...

This is just an option... i wanted to see what the extra features would cost.. The only thing i want that wasn't an option with this system was the liquid cooling system, but that's not a deal breaker.

Cyber Spyder
m
l
!