Best hd graphics card

Hello,
I recently purchased a samsung HD camcorder and i need a much better graphics card in order to view and or edit the files on my PC. I was wondering which graphics card the community here would suggest. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the files are stacking up on the hard drive until i can get a good enough card to do something with them.

Thanks in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about best graphics card
  1. Post your current PC configuration.Then we can try to help.
  2. something like a GT210 or 5570 should do the job.

this is 50 bucks after cashback: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121347&cm_re=gt220-_-14-121-347-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127481&cm_re=5570-_-14-127-481-_-Product

thats 55 after rebate.

id suggest the latter, but that more money up front with a bigger rebate.

assuming you have a fairly decent CPU and a power supply thats capable, either of those should do.

but as tamz has noted, we need your system specs to be sure we are recommending the right card.
  3. cyber spyder said:
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a samsung HD camcorder and i need a much better graphics card in order to view and or edit the files on my PC. I was wondering which graphics card the community here would suggest. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the files are stacking up on the hard drive until i can get a good enough card to do something with them.

Thanks in advance

A graphic card won't be much help if all you are doing is editing. If rendering / special effects / 3D is what you do, then it does get worthwhile.
    Invest in a fast processor & a decent amount of RAM instead.
  4. Thanks for the fast reply.... Here are some of the specs of what i'm using:

Gateway model 510s
    Pentium IV 2.6 ghz (800 mhz fsb i believe)
    2 gigs ram
    Intel 82865g graphics controller 64 megs ram

When trying to view the videos at 1280x720, they are very slow and jumpy.. maybe a couple of fps. If i try to view 1920x1080 files, i get 1 or 2 frames and then the picture freezes and all i get is sound. These are all in the h264 mp4 file format. I know the on board graphics card is crap and i never had much need for an accelerator until now. I'm not looking to do any rendering per se, eventually i might. For now i just want to be able to view the files, process them and burn them to DVD's.

Thanks again for your replies and i will check into those cards. I just don't want to buy anything if my PC is not fast enough. The camcorder takes incredible video, i just can't do anything with the files at the moment and it's pissing me off.

Cyber Spyder
  5. You need a better CPU, which in turn will require you to get a new motherboard and potentially new RAM. With those, you might also need a new PSU, which requires a new case as I doubt it will fit in that Gateway. So pretty much you need a new build.

Whats your budget?
  6. That's what i was thinking but i was hoping to get away with just a video card. Budget is wide open, just didn't want to go through the trouble of loading all the software on to another HD and configuring everything all over again. Although i could pop the old HD into a an external enclosure and use it on the new system i suppose.

Thanks for everyone's help, i really appreciate it. If anyone has any suggestions as to which type of CPU and graphics card combo i should be looking into, please feel free to reply. The last time i built a PC from scratch was about 3 years ago when i built my two MAME cabinets and have no idea what is out there as far as faster processors are concerned.

Cyber Spyder
  7. Quote:
    If anyone has any suggestions as to which type of CPU and graphics card combo i should be looking into, please feel free to reply.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend on a new pc.
  8. Ok, here is what i'm thinking of purchasing... this is what i have configured so far, adding the 6 core cpu and dual video cards, 6 gigs ram etc... check it out and lmk what you guys think if it's worth the money....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390221110423

This is just an option... i wanted to see what the extra features would cost.. The only thing i want that wasn't an option with this system was the liquid cooling system, but that's not a deal breaker.

Cyber Spyder
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Camcorders HD Graphics Product