Sign in with
Your question

BSOD Since I installed New HSF

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2010 7:36:31 AM

Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I was not sure where it would go.

Recently I was given a Noctua NH-D14 as a gift and of course, I installed it. To do so I had to remove everything from the mobo and take the mobo out of the case of course. Once completed, I have received BSOD errors consistantly while playing SC2 for around 15-20 minutes.

I have all of the up to date drivers for my components so I have come here to ask what it could possibly be. I can't imagine it being that something is not plugged in fully, then I highly doubt it would even function in the first place. I do not have any of the specifics for the BSOD's but I recall having a BCCode 50 a few times.

Currently my PC is undergoing chkdsk (Taking a long time on the free space portion)so I cannot access any information directly from it. Even if I could I do not know what information would be needed to help figure out what the dilemma is.

Would anybody here be able to point me in the right direction or help in any way?

Thanks,
Mike

More about : bsod installed hsf

August 26, 2010 7:41:35 AM

Maybe it's your PSU ? how Much W does your PSU have ? ...

Maybe your if you wrote your PC system it could help ? :) 
m
l
August 26, 2010 7:43:18 AM

I would also do i Bios update ? could help ? :p 
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2010 7:44:52 AM

Bah, sorry for some reason I cannot seem to enable signatures, I had it in there but here it is so that you can see it.

My Rig: AMD 965 BE OC 4.0GHz | Sapphire 5970 2GB | Gigabyte 890FX Mobo | Corsair 850W PSU Modular | Noctua NH-D14 | HAF 932 | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 | 24" Samsung P2450H

Bios are up to date.

Edit: Color didnt work
m
l
August 26, 2010 7:54:24 AM

then i don't know m8 sorry :( 
m
l
August 26, 2010 7:57:58 AM

kivan2400 said:
then i don't know m8 sorry :( 

No problem, I appreciate you taking the time to check my thread and throw in some ideas.
m
l
August 26, 2010 7:59:31 AM

your not using low noise cables ?
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:06:28 AM

kivan2400 said:
your not using low noise cables ?

Sorry but I have no idea what those are. Could you elaborate please? I am using whatever cables came with the components I purchased.
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:18:21 AM

Then its not hehe :D  wow that is a problem that is a problem in it self ;) 
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:24:10 AM

kivan2400 said:
Then its not hehe :D  wow that is a problem that is a problem in it self ;) 

Oh? Are low noise cables beneficial to power consumption?
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:25:38 AM

Treat it like a new build and go through this checklist:
Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

If the system worked before before you pulled it apart to replace the cooler and doesn't work now, you probably have something improperly installed.

Another thing to try is to breadboard the system:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
and see if you can duplicate the BSOD's with the system outside of the case.

Less likely, the person who gave you the cooler really hates you and knew this would happen. :D 
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:30:30 AM

jsc said:
Treat it like a new build and go through this checklist:
Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

If the system worked before before you pulled it apart to replace the cooler and doesn't work now, you probably have something improperly installed.

Another thing to try is to breadboard the system:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
and see if you can duplicate the BSOD's with the system outside of the case.

Less likely, the person who gave you the cooler really hates you and knew this would happen. :D 

Thanks, I was thinking the same as well. Once I get the RMA'd 5970 back, I will disassemble and reassemble as if it were brand new again.

Hopefully my gf of 3 years doesn't hate me, if she does she is doing a killer job at hiding it and I should watch my back lol.
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:32:20 AM

All girls a evil thats a fact ;) 
m
l
August 26, 2010 9:33:10 PM

Quote:
Well the first thing you do when you system becomes unstable is to set it back to stock clocks and see if you have the same issue. Have you tried this?

If your 5970 is in RMA, what are you using for a video card?

Don't mind Kivan2400, he's trying to get his post count up by spamming the thread with useless information.

Yes, I have restored everything back to stock clocks and I still run into the problem.

Currently I am not using the desktop, on my laptop for now. I could put the card back in but I should be able to send the card out tomorrow, as I am waiting for the prepaid shipping label from newegg to arrive in my email (should be emailed today/tonight).
m
l
!