Sign in with
Your question

HP TOUCHSMART IQ772

Last response: in Motherboards
July 9, 2011 3:47:11 PM

Touchsmart IQ 772 MOTHERBOARD FAULTY, NO SUPPORT FROM HEWLETT PACKARD 3 YEAR OLD COMPUTER ANYONE WITH SIMILAR ISSUE CAN A REPLACEMENT MOTHERBOARD BE SOURCED.

More about : touchsmart iq772

July 13, 2011 6:19:33 PM

Hi, your problem is most likely the graphics card, Nvidia GO 7600.
Do you have no display but power and screen responds to touch?
The problem is known as the "Nvidia defect" were nvidia made load of GPU's with lead free solder, they have been taken to court about this in america and will cost the Co millions as its a major defect, get in touch with your retailer as this in a "inherent defect" (built with this fault) and you have 6 years from purchase to make a claim under the SOGA
Google "nvidia defect" and all will be revealed, this dosnt just affect HP's but countless other brands that had these faulty nvidia cards fitted.
July 13, 2011 8:17:38 PM

nvidiacon said:
Hi, your problem is most likely the graphics card, Nvidia GO 7600.
Do you have no display but power and screen responds to touch?
The problem is known as the "Nvidia defect" were nvidia made load of GPU's with lead free solder, they have been taken to court about this in america and will cost the Co millions as its a major defect, get in touch with your retailer as this in a "inherent defect" (built with this fault) and you have 6 years from purchase to make a claim under the SOGA
Google "nvidia defect" and all will be revealed, this dosnt just affect HP's but countless other brands that had these faulty nvidia cards fitted.

Thank you for you reply and yes it powers up screen responds to touch but blank csreen I will contact my retailer,can you explain SOGA to me and do you know if Irish customers have a case against nvidia or is it just the states.
Related resources
January 19, 2012 5:57:51 AM

This reply may be a bit late but I had a similar issue with my IQ772. The power switches on and a beep is heard when the screen is touched. However, there is no activity from the hard drive, which indicates that the PC is not actually booting up. After stripping down the PC it appears that the touch screen is indipendent of the main motherboard and will respond evewn when the motherboard is disconnected. The graphics card looked undamaged and switching to the onboard graphics failed to work. A replacement processor also did not work, nor did replacing the RAM. I came to the conclusion that the motherboard was faulty.
Searching on-line I eventually came across a thread which said that the NVIDIA Northbridge chip on the motherboard needed to be reflowed to make sure the solderballs underneath were connecting properly. A visit to Youtube to look at DIY BGA reflow showed that a hot air gun could be used to heat the board up. After wrapping the board in aluminium foil to protect the rest of the components, I used a heat gun to heat the underside of the board over both of the NVIDIA chips (one is under the heatsink, which should be removed). I stopped after about 5 minutes and let the board cool down. Then I connected it back into the PC and it worked! I don't know how long this will last, but if you have nothing to lose then it is worth a try. make sure all plastic connectors and capacitors are insulated from the heat and only heat the bottom on the board though. The heat will be transfered through the copper to the solder pads. Heat on the top will be absorbed by the NVIDIA chips and could damage them. DO NOT move or touch the board after heating it up. Let it cool down for at least 10 minutes. I also had to replace three capacitors due to heat damage, but the board did work on power-up without these being replaced.
February 24, 2012 2:37:47 PM

at present is is still working or has it returned back to not responding.
January 19, 2014 4:02:30 PM

troubles with nvidia geforce go-7600????
i had at too with myn HP TOUCHSMART-IQ772
try nvidia geforce go-8600
its works for my
!