Adobe Premiere Pro editing wrokstation

G

I confess, I am a computer novice. All I know is I have fiddled with Adobe Premiere Pro on an inadequate machine, now dead (probably a boot sector virus) and I have the tech support to build an adequate workstation, but I need to compile my wish list. Switching to Apple and Final Cut is tempting, but out of my ideal price range. My budget is--laughably--under $1000. I know I can't build a pro unit on this, but I can make do on something that will give me the means to improve my understanding of Premiere Pro.

I have looked at prebuilt machines and am astonished by the inadequate power supplies accompanying otherwise good components. I could simply switch out the power supply,graphics card, and install RAID arrays on these $900+ machines, but I think I can save money and get what I really want if I build it myself (with help).

This is what I know:
1.I want a quad core (i7?) processor.
2. I want at least 4GB RAM, with room for more.
3. No integrated video or sound.
4. Must have RAID array 1TB each, with room for second, partioned RAID.

What really has me hung up is a motherboard. I don't need more than I'll ever use, but it seems like all the motherboards I've looked at either have integrated sound, don't support firewire, or require all the memory slots be filled.

I know I'm a total noob at this, but any help is appreciated!

I dun think $1K is a laughable price point considering these are the sort of Premiere Pro rigs i do up for peeps (non mission critical, either not aiming to use Mercury Engine or awaiting more mainstream non professional GPUs to be officially in the list of Mercury Playback Engine supported list)
Untitled-453.jpg

After market cooler if intending to OC a.s.ap
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046

A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gpu-computing-adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-and-the-mercury-playback-engine/

This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.

Current list of MPE GPUs
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/performance/
GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro CX

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
^ The OP said they wanted RAID (didn't specify what level) with "array 1TB each". I'm guessing he is talking about a RAID 0 array with 2x1TB drives...

"My budget is--laughably--under $1000."
Yeah this is a laughable budget....if your getting a Mac :D.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
OP, its good to see you giving the good side a try before moving to the dark side (Apple). As i always say, just get a PC, its easier.

Anyway, you don't need a discrete sound card, theres little point as the onboard sound in modern motherboards will satisfy all but the most discerning audiophiles.

In light of the link batuchka gave, id not go for a really good graphics card if you feel that the phenom can handle video editing.

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.

This surprises me, are non-HD camcorders still popular/available in the consumer segment? I would assume, judging by cell phones starting to record in HD as well as the popularity of mini HD camcorders (GoPro Hero, etc.) that most people would starte editing in HD thus rendering Mercury Playback near-essential.

texbldr

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Here's a thread on Raid with Adobe CS:

To RAID or not to RAID

On another thread in that forum, the gentleman who wrote the above thread advised a person doing a budget build to avoid Raid unless he had 5 or more disks. I can't seem to find that thread now, but it was recent.

So, you may want to check on the necessity of raid. However, I do believe some of the i7 mobos have a raid controller (maybe through the Southbridge chip on the board).

Most of the setups for CS I have seen utilize 3 disks: 1 for OS & Progs, 2 for Scratch and 3 for Archive.

i7 mobos generally take 6 or 12 gig of memory.

Many (most of the ones I've seen) mobos have integrated sound and its not stellar, but satisfies a lot of folks. You could add a sound card, but a good one would be something like 70 to $100.

texbldr

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Here's a 10 / 2009 build a guy was doing for video editing I had a handy bookmark for:

Oct 09 Video Editing Build

Granted its old, but the guy was getting the job done with it. It will at least give you some place to start

I would change:

Get a i7 930, which is around $200 if you have a Microcenter nearby. Normally, only $10 more than the 920. The price via Newegg around 280.

He went with the P6T SE which is around 200. I would go with the ASUS P6X58D-E...only 40 more.

Some of the material on that build is optional like the 12 Gig of memory and the CPU Cooler.

I would stay with the Corsair memory as it generally is on the Asus compatibility list. I would go with an 850 watt psu as it will allow you to move up to some of the more powerful cards recommended for CS5 in the future.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit would probably be better.

I am going with Samsung Spinpoint F3s for hard drives. The Western Digital Caviars are good also.

A cheap gpu that works for some people with Adobe is this one at Newegg: XFX GS250XYDFU GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3. They had it at Newegg recently, just search on the model.

I know the links on that build link above probably do not work well. Check the Hardware Section on the Adobe forum for builds; there are some recent ones.

If you search Newegg well, review a number of builds, you may be able to get to 1k. Good luck!