August 26, 2010 9:22:50 AM

Hello,

My system is:

CPU: XII Phenom 550 Black Edition
GPU: ati 4770
RAM: DDR3 1333 4GB Kingston
Monitor: Samsung 23 - 1920x1080
600W PSU

I'm thinking about buying a 5850 or 5870 but i've read in a few topics that X2 will limit the performance of 5870, so i have these options:

1.Buying a 5850 and a phenom x6
2.Buying a 5870 and a new cooler for cpu for unlocking 2 other cores of phenom x2 black edition
3.Buying a 5870 and a x4 965 black edition

I know that my options doesn't cost the same but if the difference of performance will be satisfying, i can pay a little more.
What would you suggest?

Thank you.

More about : phenom ati5870

a b à CPUs
August 26, 2010 9:41:30 AM

Hello and welcome. Thanks for posting with perfect grammer and readability, it means a lot.

It is true that your CPU may limit the 5870 however you will still see a large improvement over your 4770.

The phenom X6's are not really a gaming CPU and an X4 would have the same performance in games. Therefore I do not believe that an X6 is a good idea.

Soon (early 2011) the new AMD "Bulldozer" CPUs will be coming out. They are highly anticipated and they look like they are going to be awesome. Because of this I do not believe that you should upgrade your "pretty nice" CPU at this time, instead wait for the launch and then upgrade if you need to. But still the 955's are very cheap so its not to bad a deal at all though you would be wasting the 550 if you don't use it somewhere else.

I think that the best idea is to grab a aftermarket cooler (I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212+) and try to unlock the cores, then if you can't (or even if you can) OC the processor for extra performance.

Conclusion:
Personally I would go with option 3.

Hope that helps.
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2010 9:47:35 AM

If you can overclock the 550, HD5870 should work. A workaround is, get a GTX460 1GB now. It wont be bottlenecked by 550 BE. And when you get a Bulldozer which is i would think half a year away, get another GTX460 1GB, SLI it and boost your GPU performance past the HD5870.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2010 9:52:34 AM

^ Problem is, his motherboard probably won't support SLI...
August 26, 2010 10:01:23 AM

i had almost the same problem as you are, i got an AMD Phenom X4 9950 BE @ 2.6GHz and wanted a GTX 470 and i was afraid of the bottleneck.

i got the GTX 470 and i compared my results with other systems but it seems that i can run almost anything at 1080p smoothly, so even with the bottleneck you can use your videocard and enjoy it until i suggest the bulldozer comes out at least thats what im going to do.

a b à CPUs
August 26, 2010 10:48:50 AM

Wolygon said:
^ Problem is, his motherboard probably won't support SLI...

I was advising on the lines that he may change his board for that!
August 26, 2010 11:21:29 AM

Thank you very much for your replies.

My motherboard is gigabyte-ud4p, it supports crossfire. I'm using ati cards for years, and even i read about gtx performance, i have doubts about buying gtx 465 or 470 because of power need and heat.
I'm not sure if my PSU can handle gtx 470.

It seems that you have strong hopes about bulldozers, i can wait for that, so unlocking cores and buying a 5850 or 5870 or a gtx option seems logical for now. I'm trying to decide about graphics card for a few days. So;

gtx 460 or 465 or 470, and SLI later
5850 and CF later

are my new options.
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2010 12:28:11 PM

@Hell_storm
The point of AMD is that you don't have to replace your motherboard, plus I think any savings received from GTX 460 SLI would be negated from the cost of a new rare SLI capable AMD board. I'm not sure but I doubt there will be any SLI motherboards which will support Bulldozer as of yet.

Hello mate. I agree ATI makes great cards, generally better than nVidia lately. However the GTX460 is a great exception, it is a very nice card. The 465s are a complete waste of money now that the 460s are here, I personally would also not go for a 470 over a 5850. If your PSU is a good quality one it would run a 470 happily, but whats the point of using power if you don't need to?

As I said to hell_storm you won't really beable to get a motherboard easily with SLI, also if you go with crossfire you don't have to get a new motherboard (that you won't find). If you could get a board any benefits that the GTX SLI brings will be countercted by the price of the new motherboard.

Also I just remembered that I usually talk people out of grabbing the 5XXX cards, or any card, at the moment. This is because the new 6XXX series is scheduled for November which means your flashy 5XXX card would no longer be very flashy in 3 months. In three months you'll be able to buy a 6850 for a similar price as a 5850 now or you could just grab a heavily discounted 5850.

So thats another option which I think you should go with, unless you really really can't wait three months. But otherwise I think it is the most sensible idea as you'd card which will still be highish end in 2 years.

Hope that helps.

August 27, 2010 12:50:59 PM

I didn't know about upcoming 6xxx series cards, and i didn't know bulldozers until you say, i searched in the past but not the future. Actually i don't really need a card too much right now, it's not urgent because i only play sc2 for now and it's going to take months.

I mean, may be it's not a "need", but i just like to see those extra fps's, and i'm pretty sure that you know what i mean :) 
So i'm waiting for new series of amd for both graphics and processors.
Thank you very much.

Wolygon said:
@Hell_storm
The point of AMD is that you don't have to replace your motherboard, plus I think any savings received from GTX 460 SLI would be negated from the cost of a new rare SLI capable AMD board. I'm not sure but I doubt there will be any SLI motherboards which will support Bulldozer as of yet.

Hello mate. I agree ATI makes great cards, generally better than nVidia lately. However the GTX460 is a great exception, it is a very nice card. The 465s are a complete waste of money now that the 460s are here, I personally would also not go for a 470 over a 5850. If your PSU is a good quality one it would run a 470 happily, but whats the point of using power if you don't need to?

As I said to hell_storm you won't really beable to get a motherboard easily with SLI, also if you go with crossfire you don't have to get a new motherboard (that you won't find). If you could get a board any benefits that the GTX SLI brings will be countercted by the price of the new motherboard.

Also I just remembered that I usually talk people out of grabbing the 5XXX cards, or any card, at the moment. This is because the new 6XXX series is scheduled for November which means your flashy 5XXX card would no longer be very flashy in 3 months. In three months you'll be able to buy a 6850 for a similar price as a 5850 now or you could just grab a heavily discounted 5850.

So thats another option which I think you should go with, unless you really really can't wait three months. But otherwise I think it is the most sensible idea as you'd card which will still be highish end in 2 years.

Hope that helps.

a b à CPUs
August 28, 2010 2:21:03 PM

Glad I could help. Its good that you don't need the card soon as you'll save a lot of money. I recommend you to start playing some serious games to put the card to work.

Also since you are not really playing demanding games you could just go for a 5850 or 70 when the 6XXX cards come out, or maybe a 6770. But whatever, you'll be able to make up your mind when they come out.

Glad I helped, good luck!
!