How to install ECE download on Mac

Okay, I downloaded the ECE package for the Mac version of UT2K4. But it
didn't come with instructions, and I can't figure out how to "install"
it. Anyone know? Please? :)

Lisa
7 answers Last reply
More about install download

    Wow on a MAC... I know on a PC you just unzip and run the files. Very easy.
    I have never had the privelage of uses a mac.

    "Lisa Horton" <Lisa0205@lisahorton.net> wrote in message
    > Okay, I downloaded the ECE package for the Mac version of UT2K4. But it
    > didn't come with instructions, and I can't figure out how to "install"
    > it. Anyone know? Please? :)
    >
    > Lisa

    I don't know if I'd call it a privilege.... On my PC, which is my main
    machine, it was as you said, unzip and run, same on my Laptop. But the
    Mac, of course, has to be different. This is a machine that I mainly
    use to run a server, but sometimes I have several people playing here at
    the same time, and at those times, the Mac actually gets used for play.
    Short straw gets the Mac, of course :) I'm sure this is somehow related
    to the utter and complete superiority of the Mac, but I haven't figure
    out how this benefits me yet.

    Lisa

    Rick Roth wrote:

    > Wow on a MAC... I know on a PC you just unzip and run the files. Very easy.
    > I have never had the privelage of uses a mac.
    >
    > "Lisa Horton" <Lisa0205@lisahorton.net> wrote in message
    > > Okay, I downloaded the ECE package for the Mac version of UT2K4. But it
    > > didn't come with instructions, and I can't figure out how to "install"
    > > it. Anyone know? Please? :)
    > >
    > > Lisa

    Normally, if you use Stuffit or somesuch to decompress the zip file and
    expand it into the correct directory (normally the root of the game's
    directory) it will work fine, just like in Windows. The ECE is a little
    different though, so this may be trickier.

    Mac and Linux themsevles have no problems with simple installs, it's just
    that Epic decided not to bother doing the files in such a way as to allow
    this. However, you just have to do it differently, and I credit them for
    making non-windows versions.

    BeyondUnreal on their Essential downloads page
    (http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2004/ut2004essential.php) state
    "Linux/Mac users can unzip this file, delete the System/user.ini and
    Help/UT2004Logo.bmp files (as well as any .dlls or .exes), then copy the
    rest of the files to their installation (thanks Ryan Gordon)."

    For your general information; for installing UMODs for UT2004 on any
    non-Windows (actaully for Windows as well) system check out
    http://www.kelpheavyweaponry.com/wiki/show/umodunpack.py. This is a web
    page about a python script that extracts and installs file from UT4MOD
    files.

    Davros wrote:

    > Normally, if you use Stuffit or somesuch to decompress the zip file and
    > expand it into the correct directory (normally the root of the game's
    > directory) it will work fine, just like in Windows. The ECE is a little
    > different though, so this may be trickier.
    >
    > Mac and Linux themsevles have no problems with simple installs, it's just
    > that Epic decided not to bother doing the files in such a way as to allow
    > this. However, you just have to do it differently, and I credit them for
    > making non-windows versions.
    >
    > BeyondUnreal on their Essential downloads page
    > (http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2004/ut2004essential.php) state
    > "Linux/Mac users can unzip this file, delete the System/user.ini and
    > Help/UT2004Logo.bmp files (as well as any .dlls or .exes), then copy the
    > rest of the files to their installation (thanks Ryan Gordon)."
    >
    > For your general information; for installing UMODs for UT2004 on any
    > non-Windows (actaully for Windows as well) system check out
    > http://www.kelpheavyweaponry.com/wiki/show/umodunpack.py. This is a web
    > page about a python script that extracts and installs file from UT4MOD
    > files.

    Thank you, very much! And whoever draws the short straw and has to play
    on the Mac thanks you even more than me :)

    Lisa
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Lisa:

    You are quite welcome, and if I was in your area, I would be glad to join
    in the fun and games playing on the Mac or otherwise. :-)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Davros wrote:

    > Lisa:
    >
    > You are quite welcome, and if I was in your area, I would be glad to join
    > in the fun and games playing on the Mac or otherwise. :-)

    Cool, thanks. It's not a Mac slam, it's just that of the computers
    available in my office for LAN play, the Mac is the slowest, with the
    least wonderful GPU card :)

    Lisa
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Lisa:

    My fustration at Windows lead to that comment more than the tone of your
    message. Anyway, glad I could help, and if anyone uses that python script
    they should thank the author.

Download Macintosh Video Games