Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Has anyone done any movie/dvd rendering with their laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 12, 2004 1:44:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a Dell Inspiron P4 2.8G w/512 RAM and a slow 60G 4200 rpm
drive. I can only get an external dvd drive if I wish to burn home
movies.

Has anyone had any good results with rendering and burning? How fast
can one burn on the laptop if the burner is say 12x?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 14, 2004 6:57:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Mark" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:zLKud.485993$%k.25649@pd7tw2no...
> I have a Dell Inspiron P4 2.8G w/512 RAM and a slow 60G 4200 rpm
> drive. I can only get an external dvd drive if I wish to burn home
> movies.
>

Ensure you get a USB2 or (preferably) a firewire. Your processor and memory
are up to the job, though the disk is a little small and may be a bit slow.
Consider a large firewire external disk.

> Has anyone had any good results with rendering and burning?

Yes.

>How fast can one burn on the laptop if the burner is say 12x?
>

Er 12x!

Typically 1x means a 4.7Gb DVD will burn in about an hour. A 12x will
therefore burn in 5 minutes - or it would except most drive burn the inside
part of the disk more slowly. Reckon up to 10 minutes. What will slow the
whole shooting match down is the time taken to render and compile the DVD
files. Depending on the software that you use, what you are rendering and
number crunching power, anything from three quarters of an hour to two hours
(give or take). I tend to do jobs like this while I'm having dinner;
watching telly or (for really big jobs) sleeping.

Ian.
December 15, 2004 9:46:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thank you for taking the time to replying!

"Electrik Fan Club" <ian.shorrocks@baeyourclothessystems.com> wrote in
message

: Ensure you get a USB2 or (preferably) a firewire. Your processor
and memory
: are up to the job, though the disk is a little small and may be a
bit slow.
: Consider a large firewire external disk.

I will have to get a PCMCIA for the firewire in any case, I believe I
will likely run into slow data transfer rates if I try to run both
external drives on the PCMCIA card. However, I think storage wise, I
should be ok for doing transfer as I have about 35G left to play with.
If I have to buy both an external DVD and external H/D I am looking at
several hundred Canadian dollars.
:

:
: Typically 1x means a 4.7Gb DVD will burn in about an hour. A 12x
will
: therefore burn in 5 minutes - or it would except most drive burn the
inside
: part of the disk more slowly. Reckon up to 10 minutes. What will
slow the
: whole shooting match down is the time taken to render and compile
the DVD
: files. Depending on the software that you use, what you are
rendering and
: number crunching power, anything from three quarters of an hour to
two hours
: (give or take). I tend to do jobs like this while I'm having
dinner;
: watching telly or (for really big jobs) sleeping.

What s/w is the fastest when it comes to rendering?
:

Mark
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2004 12:00:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Mark" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:m5Rvd.495023$Pl.62243@pd7tw1no...
> Thank you for taking the time to replying!
>
> "Electrik Fan Club" <ian.shorrocks@baeyourclothessystems.com> wrote in
> message
>
> : Ensure you get a USB2 or (preferably) a firewire. Your processor
> and memory
> : are up to the job, though the disk is a little small and may be a
> bit slow.
> : Consider a large firewire external disk.
>
> I will have to get a PCMCIA for the firewire in any case, I believe I
> will likely run into slow data transfer rates if I try to run both
> external drives on the PCMCIA card. However, I think storage wise, I
> should be ok for doing transfer as I have about 35G left to play with.
> If I have to buy both an external DVD and external H/D I am looking at
> several hundred Canadian dollars.
> :
>
> :
> : Typically 1x means a 4.7Gb DVD will burn in about an hour. A 12x
> will
> : therefore burn in 5 minutes - or it would except most drive burn the
> inside
> : part of the disk more slowly. Reckon up to 10 minutes. What will
> slow the
> : whole shooting match down is the time taken to render and compile
> the DVD
> : files. Depending on the software that you use, what you are
> rendering and
> : number crunching power, anything from three quarters of an hour to
> two hours
> : (give or take). I tend to do jobs like this while I'm having
> dinner;
> : watching telly or (for really big jobs) sleeping.
>
> What s/w is the fastest when it comes to rendering?
> :
>

How long is a piece of string?

It is a question of horses for courses. It depends on what you are trying
to render. It depends on the quality of the mpeg2 compression.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 5:04:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Some software makes more efficient use of system resources. For
example, written using thread based processes, allowing the software
package to utilize hyperthreading on your processor rather than just
utilizing 1/2 your processor's potential (in your case 1.4 GHz)

Additionally, some software packages utilize hardware rendering then
write to disk, while some use software rendering. In most cases,
hardware rendering is perfered as it is much faster (typically
realtime or up to 16x realtime depending on your graphics card).

Then, as was mentioned earlier, the codec used is very important as it
says what size the file will be.

If you are dealing with a file thats total size will be 30MB, it is
very different from a file that will end up being 300MB or 3000MB. The
more space the output file, the more data needs to be moved from
memory onto your hard drive. If you can render entirely in memory, the
whole process will be very quick (10x normal speed).

However, if the Operating System needs to juggle data between memory
and the harddrive in order to make space for the new content, you are
certain to have slowdowns.
December 16, 2004 8:59:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Electrik Fan Club" <ian.shorrocks@baeyourclothessystems.com> wrote in
message news:41bffb53: How long is a piece of string?
:
: It is a question of horses for courses. It depends on what you are
trying
: to render. It depends on the quality of the mpeg2 compression.

"Depending on the software that you use, what you are rendering and
: number crunching power, anything from three quarters of an hour to
two hours
: (give or take). "

You mentioned earlier it depends on the s/w that one uses, so I assume
there is a difference between which software one uses?
!