adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I thought it'd be interesting to post the results of builds with user experience. As a newish builder I scoured the forum looking at what parts people were choosing but I always wondered how fast the rigs ended up being.

This is new build, a moderate, video rig;
asrock 870 extreme3 mobo $90
g.skill 4gb 1600 ram $93
sapphire 100283.3l 5770 vid. card $150
AMD Phenom II 1055T $200
Ozc 550w ps $60
Lite on CD/DVD $20
case, antec 3 $60
samsung HD1035J 1TB $70
total $743
rebates ($48)
total $695

I'm getting a 7.9 user experience across the board except for the HD read/write which is 5.9. No OC. Yeah, I think a SS drive is in my future.

eta; The asrock mobo was very nice, especially with the debug code feature!

Windows' user experience means absolutely nothing. Run some real benchmarks if you want a comparision. 3DMark is a common one.

As for what you've got, it's pretty good. You've got a good list of high performing parts that are good budget buys, with the single exception of the OCZ PSU (it's not the highest quality, but you can't beat the price). I do have to ask why you picked the 870 Extreme3 as the board, yet didn't buy a PSU that can handle Crossfire. You could have easily found a cheaper board with a single PCIe 2.0 slot if you didn't want to add a second GPU.

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the X6 and 5770 pair. Depending on what you're doing (mainly gaming), that's not very powerful. You could have likely afforded a 5850 if you had picked a cheaper CPU, which would have greatly ncreased gaming performance. If you're doing video or photo editing (or other non-gaming tasks) as your main activity, you could have stepped up to the GTX 460 and gotten a big boost from nVidia architecture, but that might have required some cuts or finding some deals.

All in all, it looks pretty good. To really compare it to other builds or what you were expecting, you need to run a real benchmark.

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
This is what I got running the free 3dMark

Main test results

3DMark Score
P10636 3DMarks P67980 3DMarks
CPU Score 14644 58482
Graphics Score 9746 71871
Test Results

Graphics Tests
Jane Nash
30.27 FPS

New Calico
26.77 FPS

CPU Tests
AI Test
1892.17 Operations/s

Physics Test
22.78 Operations/s

The PS was left over from another build, I'd love to upgrade it. If I decide to add a second card I'll have to add a new psu.
I liked the features of the asrock mobo, usb3,sata6, etc and for the price of $90 I didn't find much comparable.
My focus is video not gaming. I couldn't justify a better graphics card. Honestly the choosing of parts is the hardest part of the building- there is so much information.

My main reason for posting was to discuss real time results of builds for people who are occasional builders. To that, *Thank you* for suggesting the 3DMark!
Did I post the correct info?