RAID says it's loading configuration, but then doesn't

kurazarrh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I have a bit of an exotic (in my mind) problem here. Maybe it's not so otherworldly to someone else.

I've got an old server and a new old RAID card: the server is an IBM x series 236, and the RAID card is an Intel SRCSASRB. Both were new about 5 years ago, but the RAID card is in new condition (factory-sealed box). When the system powers on, the hard drives attached to the RAID flash with activity, so I know the RAID [is/is trying to] communicate with them. During POST, the RAID card's information shows up on the screen, with the usual, "Press Ctrl + G to enter configuration."

If I hit Ctrl + G, the above message changes to, "Will enter RAID Configuration after POST." The problem lies in that once the system POSTs, the RAID BIOS doesn't come up, and if I pop open the case, the RAID status light is blinking, which the cross-reference in the manual not-so-helpfully indicates is "Locate."

In case it matters, I'm trying to use the RAID card with an ICYDOCK MB994SP-4S backplane/cage and 3x WD Scorpios, model WD2500BEKT. I can't find any indication that either of these two pieces might be the source of the issue, but at this point, I can't rule them out.

There are a couple solutions I haven't tried yet due to time constraints: disable fast boot on motherboard bios; and move the RAID card from PCI slot 2 to 3. Also, while I've disabled the system's original SCSI RAID card (about 4 feet long), I haven't physically removed it from the system, which I want to try tonight.

Those three aside, I've tried everything else. Fresh cable, swapping the drives around, testing just 1 drive, enabling/disabling other boot devices in the motherboard BIOS. I can't get the thing to open the RAID config.

Any ideas?

kurazarrh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try. I may have to finagle a way to get power to those drives. The server box only has 1 or 2 PATA power connectors (I have PATA to SATA power adapters, though).

kurazarrh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Lol. I don't think AHCI was a twinkle in Intel's eyes when this motherboard was manufactured. Either way, I'm trying to interface with a PCIe RAID card, which should handle the addressing of the drives attached to it. The motherboard has no on-board SATA controller.

I've been talking to the vendor, who's been quite helpful, and I've got one last thing I want to try, based on his input, which is to mash F12 to go into user-select boot, and try to make the motherboard attempt to boot from the controller, which may give it the kick it needs to get into the BIOS config.