Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Asus P8Z68-V Pro Restart Problem at Startup

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 9, 2011 9:03:38 PM

Hi I just completed my new build today. I am using an Asus P8z68-V Pro motherboard with Intel i7 processor. Heres my problem.....

Every time I shut the computer down and start it back up again...The computer turns on and starts to boot up and then after 10 seconds it shuts itself off...then a few seconds later it boots up again and loads Windows.

It actually doesnt happen if I restart it from Windows....Its just when I'm starting it up from when the computer is off.

So the computer is working and Windows is running but I cant figure out why it is not booting up the first time. Any help would be appreciated.
July 10, 2011 1:14:05 AM

*Update*

I think I may have figured out my problem. All of a sudden my monitor started to say no signal. I removed the video card and tried plugging in the dvi cord to the motherboard and it still didnt work. I put the video card back in and removed all of my ram except for one stick. I eventually found one stick that was causing the computer to restart every time at startup like I said in my original post. So I have removed this stick of ram and "for now" I am up and running again. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that my problem is just the 1 stick of ram. Anyone heard of 1 stick of ram causing all of these problems before?
July 12, 2011 4:41:36 PM

Apparently that weird way it starts up is a feature of the board, i had the same problem with my RAM slot I am starting to think Asus has a problem. anyway a sent my board back waiting for a replacement board, think you should do the same.
Related resources
July 12, 2011 7:46:47 PM

Well I had 4 sticks of ram and When i put each stick in individually in different slots, the one stick of ram did it every time while the otners booted up every time as normal. So im thinking its the ram but ilk let you kow for sure when i get the replacement ram
July 13, 2011 12:35:23 AM

Having this same problem with a P8Z68-V (not pro). I built the system and all was fine until I used the ASUS AI Suite II (software bundled with the mobo) in Windows to give the system a GPU boost with Auto-Tuning. After that, the system has been dual-booting on every cold start. I think it posts and then completely restarts (can't remember exactly because I ignored it this time).

I enabled the PCI-E power on function in the UEFI but that didn't help. My RAM is CORSAIR DDR3 1600 CAS 7 1.65V, but like I said, it was all working excellently until I began Auto-Tuning. Any thoughts?
July 13, 2011 6:06:10 AM

Mat I dont think its the RAM, i think its the slot thats buggered, but you should try your RAM i n another system, but i have a strong feeling its the RAM Slot causing that problem
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2011 6:42:37 AM

I've had this occur with several Asus motherboards I own. I got worried about it on the first few machines but it really is a problem. It's almost like a "pre-post". Check you RAM but I have had similar occurrences with about half a dozen different asus motherboard models. Any variation of Intel CPU's, RAM, Graphics card. They all had they same boot-fans spin-kick-off-start up and away it goes.
Also, it may be beneficial to run memtest on your RAM to ensure it's bad, ant not more than just the one is fault. It's never pleasent when a matched memory pair is split from each other *sadface tear*
July 13, 2011 1:54:06 PM

Going to try the new BIOS update - hopefully that will fix it. Memtest+ test will be next, but I'm not convinced that's the issue.
July 16, 2011 6:26:35 AM

BADGJ31 said:
Having this same problem with a P8Z68-V (not pro). I built the system and all was fine until I used the ASUS AI Suite II (software bundled with the mobo) in Windows to give the system a GPU boost with Auto-Tuning. After that, the system has been dual-booting on every cold start. I think it posts and then completely restarts (can't remember exactly because I ignored it this time).

I enabled the PCI-E power on function in the UEFI but that didn't help. My RAM is CORSAIR DDR3 1600 CAS 7 1.65V, but like I said, it was all working excellently until I began Auto-Tuning. Any thoughts?

Not sure if this will solve your problem, but might put you in the right direction. I have pretty much the same setup; i5 2500k, asus z68 v pro, 1600 corsair . The exact thing was happening to me after running auto tune. I went into the BIOS AI Tweaker and set the AI overclock tuner back to X.M.P. because auto tune put it in manual. (I set it to X.M.P. originaly because after reading some reviews of the board on the internet, it was explained in order to utilize the memory at 1600 instead of the board default 1333 it needed to be there). After setting it to X.M.P it boots normal. The only difference is 4.2 ghz (100mhz) instead of 4.3 ghz (103 mhz). Prime and Intel burn test reported all is well.
July 18, 2011 3:03:55 AM

mkc said:
Not sure if this will solve your problem, but might put you in the right direction. I have pretty much the same setup; i5 2500k, asus z68 v pro, 1600 corsair . The exact thing was happening to me after running auto tune. I went into the BIOS AI Tweaker and set the AI overclock tuner back to X.M.P. because auto tune put it in manual. (I set it to X.M.P. originaly because after reading some reviews of the board on the internet, it was explained in order to utilize the memory at 1600 instead of the board default 1333 it needed to be there). After setting it to X.M.P it boots normal. The only difference is 4.2 ghz (100mhz) instead of 4.3 ghz (103 mhz). Prime and Intel burn test reported all is well.


Excellent. Glad to hear that's a good place to start! Going to update the firmware tonight and will then change the XMP mode after a cold boot > AI Auto Tune > cold boot cycle.

Did it change the BCLK back to 100mhz automatically in XMP mode or did you change that? I've since read that the 103mhz set by Auto Tune can cause some problems too.
July 18, 2011 5:04:39 PM

Matt42683 said:
Hi I just completed my new build today. I am using an Asus P8z68-V Pro motherboard with Intel i7 processor. Heres my problem.....

Every time I shut the computer down and start it back up again...The computer turns on and starts to boot up and then after 10 seconds it shuts itself off...then a few seconds later it boots up again and loads Windows.

It actually doesnt happen if I restart it from Windows....Its just when I'm starting it up from when the computer is off.

So the computer is working and Windows is running but I cant figure out why it is not booting up the first time. Any help would be appreciated.


I have the same problem with the Asus P8z68-V Pro motherboard and have a 2500K processor. It seems as if the system is failing to start and then trying new settings, its very disconcerting.
July 18, 2011 5:07:18 PM

Oh in addition I get one sharp beep at every restart not initiated by win7. I blew my 6850 by inadvertantly flashing to 6870 so I am now using igpu (internal cpu graphics) for now.
July 18, 2011 6:16:32 PM

BADGJ31 said:
Excellent. Glad to hear that's a good place to start! Going to update the firmware tonight and will then change the XMP mode after a cold boot > AI Auto Tune > cold boot cycle.

Did it change the BCLK back to 100mhz automatically in XMP mode or did you change that? I've since read that the 103mhz set by Auto Tune can cause some problems too.

Yes, X.M.P. mode changed BCLK back to 100mhz. Since then I went back to BIOS and upped the multiplier to 43 to get 4.3 ghz. After reading other forums I would have to agree that this board likes 100nhz and that changing the BCLK is the way to go.

i5 2500k at 4.3 runs 27 - 28C at idle, and 54 - 57C running prime. The Antec H20 620 push pull setup seems to work.
August 12, 2011 4:03:01 AM

EVERY P8Z68-V OWNER!

I bought my board a few days ago, and had major problems. Wouldn't boot up at all with only power-led on the board, would lose BIOS settings, had temp issues etc. Figured out, the CLRTC -jumper was missing right out of the factory. Replaced it from another board, and everything is as good as it gets with the board! Just a heads-up for guys with similar problems, does not come first in mind.

Regards,
-leatherm0nkey
September 10, 2011 1:57:36 AM

Matt42683 said:
Hi I just completed my new build today. I am using an Asus P8z68-V Pro motherboard with Intel i7 processor. Heres my problem.....

Every time I shut the computer down and start it back up again...The computer turns on and starts to boot up and then after 10 seconds it shuts itself off...then a few seconds later it boots up again and loads Windows.

It actually doesnt happen if I restart it from Windows....Its just when I'm starting it up from when the computer is off.

So the computer is working and Windows is running but I cant figure out why it is not booting up the first time. Any help would be appreciated.



I know how to fix this problem for anyone with an ASUS P8Z68 V PRO! i had the same problem and fixed it in about 15 seconds. My computer would start up then shut down then start up just like yours. All you have to do is go into the AI tweaker in your BIOS and change the settings to XMP instead of auto. XMP runs your system great i have the same build
September 10, 2011 3:15:34 AM

or just manually change the BCLK to 100.
!