Weird graphics problem

krazyivan777

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I had a problem with my graphics (Nvidia 8800gt) where red lines started appearing, even during POST before Windows loaded. When Windows loaded, it wouldn't load any drivers. I assumed it was a hardware failure as reinstalling drivers did nothing, and the lines were appearing during POST anyway. I tried changing PCIE slots, but since then, the graphics card doesn't even seem to load. When turning on the PC, the card has power, fans starts up, but the monitor doesn't receive any signal.

I then bought a new graphics card (Radeon 4870), but that has the same problem and doesn't load. Now I'm really worried and wondering what this could be? Motherboard? Power supply? I am running a Thermaltake 750W power suppply, and an Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard. I have even tried changing monitor cables! Although I am almost certain it has nothing to do with the monitor or cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ivan

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If youre getting problems so early on in the switching on of your machine id say it could be a bad motherboard?

If possible try moving your parts over to another machine, this should include memory too to make sure it isnt that. If the problem is gone then you know it might be the bad motherboard.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
well the symptoms sound like an overheat, but after trying a new card and getting the same issue it kind of gets ruled out.

possible that the PSU has damaged the motherboard. unfortunately the only way to narrow down this sort of problem is to start replacing parts. do you know anyone from whom you could borrow a PSU/motherboard to get to the root of the issue?

krazyivan777

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Thanks for the tips, but after trying a few different ways of connecting power (using converters etc), it is now working. Very very weird...so I'll leave it for now as it works, but I've got this feeling that there is something fundamentally wrong with the power supply or motherboard, and it's only going to be a matter of time before i run into the same problem again...

hmmmm...

Thanks for your help anyway!

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
It sounds like you could be having a PSU problem. It would be in your best interst to fix this because a bad PSU can fry your whole system if your not careful.