New i5 System Vs. Waiting for 1155 Chipset

csanto23

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'm looking for a new computer. I've done a good amount of research and I think an i5 760 with a gtx 460 would be a solid build with a good bang for the buck.

I'm wondering however if I should wait for the 1155 chipset. I dont need this computer right now, and I want it to last for at least 4 years.

My XPS gen 2 laptop has lasted me 5 years (moderate gaming, mostly WoW)

Thanks all!

-Chris

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You don't want to get caught in the loop of waiting for new tech, you'll be stuck there forever. However, if you don't immediately need the computer, in this case I think it would be worthwhile.

Around the same time that 1155 is released, ATI is supposed to be shipping their 6000 series, which should do at least one of the two following things: a) provide better performance than the nVidia 4nn and ATI 5nnn series, b) affect the prices of at least the current ATI lineup, and possibly the nVidia lineup. That might change the value of current offerings significantly.

Also, there's supposed to be a change in SSD manufacturing tech, so that may make SSDs more affordable.

You might consider waiting until Black Friday, newegg generally has some pretty sweet sales/deals.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, I'm just a little skeptical of how much of that reduction in cost is going to be passed on to the consumers. :)