Sign in with
Your question

CAN I PUT A QUAD CORE ON A 940 SOCKET MOTHERBOARD

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2010 2:19:58 PM

Hello,
can i put a quad core chip on a am2 socket 940 biostar motherboard.
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2010 2:28:56 PM

Depends on your exact mobo - if you give use the exact name we can derive that for you.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2010 6:54:12 PM

Physically it'll fit, but unless the board has proper BIOS support for it than it won't work. Considering BIOSTAR has dozens of motherboards released over the years, we can't tell you without knowing the motherboard model.

If you don't know what motherboard you have, the program CPU-Z can tell you, it's available for free.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2010 10:37:44 PM

fyi socket 940 and socket am2 are 2 different types of sockets. (although both have 940 holes)

Answer: I really doubt it.

most quad cores require socket am2+

please download cpu-z run it and post a screen shot.
November 15, 2010 10:54:50 AM

Thank you for your reply's.
The motherboard is Biostar group NF61S_M2B.
Bios is pheonix technologies ltd. Version 6.00 PG.
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4600+. Code name WINDSOR Brand ID 4.
Chipset Nvidia MCP61 REV A3
SOUTHBRIDGE Nvidia mcp61.
LPCIO ITE IT8716.
My original question was can i put a quad core on this board or even a triple core, if not i will obviously have to buy a new board. Thanks lads.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2010 1:01:31 PM

Best I can tell you have a Bistar NF61S Micro AM2 SE motherboard so the answer to your question would be "No" to the quad.

There are, however, other Biostar motherboards with the nVidia 6150/430 chipset which support Phenom/PhII quads -- most of which are C2 stepping. C3 stepping CPUs may well *Bork*.

Biostar makes decent basic stuff but lag behind the 'Big 3' when it comes to BIOS updates for new CPUs -- they tend to simply release new versions of their motherboards.

November 16, 2010 12:37:15 PM

Wisecracker said:
Best I can tell you have a Bistar NF61S Micro AM2 SE motherboard so the answer to your question would be "No" to the quad.

There are, however, other Biostar motherboards with the nVidia 6150/430 chipset which support Phenom/PhII quads -- most of which are C2 stepping. C3 stepping CPUs may well *Bork*.

Biostar makes decent basic stuff but lag behind the 'Big 3' when it comes to BIOS updates for new CPUs -- they tend to simply release new versions of their motherboards.

Thanks for info guessed i would have to upgrade board, where would you suggest to get a good motherboard bundle complete with chip and memory.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2010 3:23:48 PM

thesnail said:
Thanks for info guessed i would have to upgrade board, where would you suggest to get a good motherboard bundle complete with chip and memory.

Well ... depends on where you live, your budget, what you wish to do, and how lucky you feel.

I've got a PhII550BE that unlocks -- for the most part I zoom around with 2 cores @ 15.5x250MHz. For encoding tasks I simply reboot 4 cores @ 15.5x200MHz. This sucker will also under-volt like a champ. I run the *quad* at -1.25v from stock, and drop my load at the wall by nearly 33%.

So maybe I'm lucky :D 

Otherwise --- look for some deals that suit you best. This has caught my eye the last few days:

Phenom 925 // Asus M4A79XTD EVO: $189 ($174 after rebate). Should run 14x250MHz without breaking too much of a sweat.

If you don't want CrossFire: The Phenom 740 // AsRock 880GXH/USB3 is really tempting at $149 but you would have to add a cooler. Might be able to unlock that 4th core (but I don't know anything about that AsRock motherboard so I can't help yah there).

This Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 kit is $67 --- it's on the Asus QVL list; I assume it will work 'just dandy' with the AsRock, too.

Both processors & RAMs will move to AM3+ ---- which means you have an upgrade path to BD Zambezi if you are so inclined.

If you are in the market: HIS Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB for $113 after rebate ($142 before rebate) will set you up for a CrossFire on that Asus motherboard.

!