Building my First Computer

1QWK96GT

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone. Decided to build a computer so after going out and buying all the components I came home and am in the process of putting it all together. I have swapped many computer parts between computers but this is my first scratch build. Anyway I wanna make sure I install everything right so I get optimal performance out of my setup. Here are the specs on my build:

Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel i7 2600k unlocked processor
Asus P8 Z68-V Pro Motherboard
Antec EA-650 Green 650Watt PSU
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower Case
LG 22x DVD writer (Sata)
Liteon DVD writer (Sata)
Corsair 8GB Ram
WD 1TB (Sata) Hard drive

Anyway I am in the process of putting all this together and I am having some difficulties. On with the pictures:
The general Picture of everything
IMG_2251.jpg

I dont know where on the Motherboard this goes it came with the motherboard
IMG_2259.jpg

I have no idea where this plugs in at on the motherboard
IMG_2258.jpg

Does it matter what ports I plug the USB's into?
IMG_2257.jpg

There are two switches on the Motherboard one labeled TPU and the other EPU what are they and should I enable them?
IMG_2256.jpg

Does it matter where I plug my Sata connections in here? Is there a primary secondary..etc?
IMG_2254.jpg

Well I plugged everything I saw labeled from the case to this labeled block that plugs to the motherboard the only thing I cant find is the PLED i think it is this green and white wire left over but it has a connector on it that is not going to plug into this block.
IMG_2252.jpg

I think this is the PLED
IMG_2253.jpg

One last question all the cooling fans in my case have big connectors on them and seem to only want to plug into my PSU which I guess they would run full speed all the time my motherboard has places to plug in fans but not these kind of connectors on my fans.
Thanks in advance.

jake_larkee

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
No kidding dude, your mobo manual will be able to give you much better answers than anyone on this website. Assuming you haven't already read it. If you did read it, reply and I'll do my best to help you out.

Focus on starting the system first. Be sure the power supply switch is in the correct position. Locate the pin cluster with the power switch lead from your case. If you can't figure out how to position the power switch, then with the toggle switch of the power supply on, touch the power switch pins gently with a plain screwdriver. Be sure the LCD lead is connected to the onboard video; if the system fires up, you'll get a post screen with instuctions on getting into the bios. You may set the boot order if the keyboard is connected, or wait until later. Do not change any jumpers on the motherboard. You may use any of the usb ports or sata ports; doesn't make any difference. One case connector is for sound; it will have a white insert over one of the pins, and will line up with a cd in on the board. As the last poster said, READ your manual again. The blue usb insert you have in the photo can be left off for now. You don't even need to connect any hardrives or dvd's before posting. The purpose of the first post is to be sure the cpu heatsink and ram are working. You can shut the system down at that point and finish connecting everything else.

1QWK96GT

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I already had this system hooked up once and a buddy helped me out we did it REALLY fast and threw everything together the computer worked but I wanted to make sure everything is properly hooked up so I get optimal performance. I read threw my manual and since most of my problems lie with hooking my mobo upto my particular case it was of no help. All my case fans have big connectors that I guess go straight to the psu and is not controlled by the bios/mobo also that green and white wire which I believe to be the pled will not hook up to where the mobo says the pled should go it only looks like it goes to the psu as well. I also wanted to make sure there isnt a sequence to hook up my sata stuff.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The connector labeled AC 97 is a legacy connector for motherboards that don't have HD audio. Yours does. If your front panel has the HD audio connector plugged into the AAFP pins, then the AC 97 plug just needs to be tucked out of the way. It is not necessary. By default the BIOS should be set to HD audio, but it doesn't hurt to check.