Sign in with
Your question

No 3dMark06 Increase after Installing GTX470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 1:25:58 PM

Ok here is the issue I am running into and I am not sure how to fix it. I recently revamped my whole computer and I have been running 3DMark06 after each change to verify the increase in performance. The last change I made was to swap out my old Sapphire HD 4850 for a new EVGA GTX 470. Here are the before and after scores for the swap, which shows no increase performance, while I would expect to see a pretty dramatic increase in the graphic scores. I do not have a breakdown of the 3DMark, but I can get that if needed.

3DMark06 Scores:

Setup with HD 4850 - 12178

Setup with GTX 470 test 1 - 12211

Setup with GTX 470 test 2 - 12117

Between test 1 and 2 with the new card I rebooted a couple times and made sure all of the connectors were in place, but I am not sure what is causing this problem. I have not reinstalled the drivers and I am just curiosu as to what my next step should be to fixing this. Here are the more detailed specs on my computer:

CPU - stock Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
Motherboard - ASUS P5N-D
RAM - 4gb (2gb X 2) G.Skill with 4-4-4-12 timing
PSU - Antec TruePower Blue 750W
HDD - 1x 60gb OCZ SSD and 2x 640gb WD caviar black
1x DVD-RW drive
Cooling - Antec 300 Illusion case and Rosewill 92mm CPU cooler

Maybe my power supply is not big enough for everything, but it seems odd to me that my #DMark is almost exactly the same between the two tests. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciatted. Thanks.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 1:31:45 PM

1. its a synthetic benchmark so who cares

2. OC your CPU to let your video card reach its potential

3. your PSU is more then enough
m
l
July 22, 2010 1:40:44 PM

You probably have CPU bottleneck. That's why you aren't seeing a difference between the two gpu's.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 2:49:10 PM

Did you install the latest drivers from nvidia site after you removed the ATI ones?
And..i suggest you overclock the CPU as well because it will give you more FPS in games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 3:10:47 PM

I'm betting on the CPU bottleneck. :)  If you have a good aftermarket CPU cooler, you may be able to OverClock your Q6600 to 3.2Ghz or so. That seems to be a sweet spot. :)  Should see some more improvement there.

Here were my 3dMark06 scores with nVidia 257.21 drivers, and my GTX 470:

GPU Scores:
SM 2.0 Score 9907
SM 3.0 Score 11258

CPU:
CPU Score 6089

Total:
3dMarks 23820
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 3:24:23 PM

CPU bottleneck, however allow me to elaborate. There is something fishy with Vantage (I know, not quite the same but close enough).

I have CF 5850s. I ran Vantage with my CPU at 3.68ghz with turbo for up to 4.2ghz if it's a single thread. My GPU score was 20k while my CPU was 16k.

I then changed my overclock to a straight 4ghz no turbo.

GPU score dropped something like 1 or 1.5k, while CPU score went up 2k.

This also happened in the AvP benchmark, I had slightly lower FPS with 4ghz CPU. On the other hand, RE5 I went from 127 to 145fps.

I guess the point is, don't put too much stock into synthetics. Try running some actual games and see how it is. I feel like games are faster/smoother with the flat out 4ghz even tho it gives lower scores in Vantage.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 3:46:02 PM

Ok your replies all make sense. I was planning on overclocking after the video card, but I have waited due to what I thought were cursious results on a benchmark. I guess I will overclock now and see if I get an increase in my GPU scores as well as my CPU scores to get an idea about how well the vid card is working. I am running an air cooler, but it should be sufficient to handle the overclocking on the CPU.

Besides just checking FPS and subjective performance ratings in games are there any other good benchmarks that I could be using? Thanks for the replies.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 3:49:11 PM

I think a good way to do it would be to get FRAPS and you can run a fps recording for whatever amount of time you want. So you could for example play the first level of a game and record 5 minutes of gameplay to see what the avg fps is.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 3:55:16 PM

Don't forget to do a clean driver install after cleaning the hidden drivers in the registry with Driver-Sweeper.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 22, 2010 4:16:13 PM

wolfram23 said:
I think a good way to do it would be to get FRAPS and you can run a fps recording for whatever amount of time you want. So you could for example play the first level of a game and record 5 minutes of gameplay to see what the avg fps is.

the problem with using FRAPS to record is that it will then be impacting performance thus making it a bit useless for determining whether performance has increased or not.
m
l
!