Sign in with
Your question

New Build

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 4:51:36 PM

I want to build a computer for my office workers. These office workers are mid/high-end users. They will need a processor that will meet company needs for several years and powerful enough to handle future applications as they are developed. The motherboard needs to be capable of upgrading processors simply by replacing the processor instead of purcasing a different motherboard. I also need sufficent memory to accommodate multiple sessions the MS-Office products open at one time and to handle Photoshop CS4/5. Although all production data must be saved on a network drive, I will need each user to have enought drive space ti house larger graphics, video, and documents to the local hard drive while working on updates to the documents.

More about : build

August 26, 2010 4:56:40 PM

for this kind of stuff you shoudnt build it just buy them
m
l
August 26, 2010 5:01:11 PM

Might want to follow the guidelines. There's a link in my signature. We really need to have a budget to even get started.

I've already noticed a problem with what you're asking. There isn't a majorly powerful CPU that is on a socket that'll support future upgrades. The i7 series (i7-930, or if it's an extremely high budget the i7-980X) is on the LGA 1366 socket, which is due to be replaced by Intel either this year or very early next year. Those are the most powerful CPUs out right now.

As for AMD, they're X6's are decently powered (depending on the application), but simply don't measure up to Intel offerings. However, it's likely you'll have some upgrade options with AMD's new Bulldozer lines due out. You won't likely have a great deal of powerful options though, as AMD has said they're 8 core CPUs they're designing are set to be on an updated socket (AM3+). Now, AMD has had a history of designing newer CPUs that run on older sockets (their current AM3 units run on AM2+ boards), so all hope is not lost.

That's just the basic dilemma right now. To give you anything specific, we need more details.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 5:06:08 PM

Money is not a problem in this build I just want to get somehing that will last and hold up to the expectaions of my users
m
l
August 26, 2010 5:15:23 PM

Well, if money is no option, why worry about replacing the CPU without a board? You'd just replace the entire build...

Here's basically the highest performing build you could get. I'm not getting links because I know it'll be too expensive:

CPU: i7-980X $1,000
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310
RAM: 2x G.SKILL Trident 3x4 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 8 $1,200
GPU: Two Quaddro productivity cards. Sky's the limit on the price. How's $3,000 a piece sound as an estimate?
SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 256 GB SSD $550
HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $300 (RAID 10)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 700D $170 after rebate
PSU: Corsair Professional 1200W 80+ Gold Modular $300
Optical: BluRay burner $120

Total: $9,950.

Get why we need a budget range yet?
m
l
August 26, 2010 5:16:29 PM

lol mad i am pretty sure he isnt that rich either
m
l
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 5:20:33 PM

OK ok there is a little bit of a budget I was thinking somting in the 2k-3k range
m
l
August 26, 2010 5:22:58 PM

Money isn't a problem right? That means everything is in budget to me....

Hell, that's not even the tip of the iceberg. I could easily have found a good board with 4 PCIe slots and done four Quaddro cards. I'm also sure $3,000 is on the lower end for Quaddro, possibly the middle of the range. I also didn't go with the Thermaltake Level 10 as the case or suggested using the SSDs in RAID 10. I also didn't immediately go with the largest SSDs you can buy.
m
l
August 26, 2010 5:26:09 PM

Ok then. Good to know there's an upper limit.

CPU: i7-980X $1,000
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $210
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS3 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $320 after rebate
GPU: A Quaddro. What ever fits the budget
SSD: OCZ Agility 2 120 GB $310. Use this as the boot/application drive.
HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $150 (RAID 1). Use as the data drive. Since RAID 1 is an automatic backup, you may not need it, depending on how frequent everything is backed up to the network.
PSU/Case: Corsair 850W Modular and Obsidian 700D $270 after rebates. Feel free to pick a different case.
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $19

Total: $2,279 without GPU. I beleive the Quaddro line (not sure if I'm spelling that right) starts around $300, so that leaves a good amount of room for a decent one. You could easily drop the SSD down to a smaller one (or leave it out entirely) to afford a bigger one.
m
l
!