Acer Aspire 5750g Plastic Pins Problem

arinwt

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5750g laptop. I recently purchased an Intel 330 240gb SSD in hopes I could replace my internal hard drive. When I opened up my laptop and took out my old 500gb HDD, I noticed that there were two plastic pins just above the the SATA connector port which fit above the HDD. The problem is that the case around a SSD goes up to the edge of the connector, whereas the old HDD case stops right at the connector, causing a dip where the pins can then fit. These pins do not seem to serve any purpose as far as I can tell, since there's already a case that will be screwed in. So my dilemma is that the SSD won't plug all the way in, and the laptop back won't even screw back in when it's in that position. My question is, should I snap the pins off and most likely void my warranty on the laptop? Should I remove the case on the SSD and void that warranty which would also leave the SSD kind of exposed? I just need some advice on what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Arin

k00kie

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I have this exact same laptop, and replaced the main hard drive with a ssd, also replaced the dvdr with a HDD caddy for the original HDD, get a big nail clipper, and just cut them off, they serve no purpose, they hold nothing down or in place, it's just extra plastic.