Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

UT Demos convert to movies is it possible?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:31:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Any one know if it is possible?

I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be
done. I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems to
be no.

I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame but
that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.

http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down

Any help or pointers gratefully received.

Visine

More about : demos convert movies

March 12, 2005 10:31:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

I have been looking for something like that for years now. Let me know if
anything works for you.
March 12, 2005 11:39:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:31:24 GMT, "Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame but
>that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.

Fraps captures everything I believe.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:07:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Looks good for making new demos. But does not look like It can convert old
ones. Thanks for the name.

http://www.fraps.com/

This is the site yes?

Visine
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:12:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:gsHYd.20906$l65.6440@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> Any one know if it is possible?
>
> I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be done.
> I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems to be no.
>
> I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame but
> that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.
>
> http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down
>
> Any help or pointers gratefully received.
>
> Visine

I capture my movies (UT2004) by using my card's TV-out cable. Nice and quick. If
you want to convert every frame digitally into a video frame then that will take
hours if not days. Just imagine how much processing power is needed.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:09:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

When i was in university, I had to render some in-game footage to movie..

and there were console lines for UT2003 that allowed you to record a demo,
then output each frame to a Screenshot Bitmap..
the card I was using was a Radeon 9700pro, and at 640X480, each frame took
roughly .7 seconds to dump the buffer into a BMP.

then assemble the BMP sequence in after effects or somethin similar.. it
really doesn't take long..

I got a 2+ minute demo recorded, rendered and edited in under 3 hours..

it didn't matter to my needs that I couldn't capture sound.. but even then,
that's a case of leaving wavestudio running while you play the sequences
then syncing afterwards..

I realise this isn't directly applicable as I was using 2k3, but there's got
to be a way for UT



Nick.





"TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message
news:q_idnY0fQLOW56rfRVnysA@eclipse.net.uk...
>
> "Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:gsHYd.20906$l65.6440@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
>> Any one know if it is possible?
>>
>> I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be
>> done. I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems
>> to be no.
>>
>> I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame
>> but that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.
>>
>> http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down
>>
>> Any help or pointers gratefully received.
>>
>> Visine
>
> I capture my movies (UT2004) by using my card's TV-out cable. Nice and
> quick. If you want to convert every frame digitally into a video frame
> then that will take hours if not days. Just imagine how much processing
> power is needed.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:33:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Someone brought up Fraps. I can't remember but I'm sure that UT has the
capability of playing back its own Demos. Just use fraps to record UT
playing back a Demo. Seems the simplest solution to me.

"Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:gsHYd.20906$l65.6440@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> Any one know if it is possible?
>
> I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be
> done. I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems
> to be no.
>
> I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame
> but that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.
>
> http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down
>
> Any help or pointers gratefully received.
>
> Visine
>
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:17:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"Nick Sadler" <nick.sadler@**sorry for spamguard**blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message news:xcJ_d.85829$ug2.28299@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> When i was in university, I had to render some in-game footage to movie..
>
> and there were console lines for UT2003 that allowed you to record a demo,
> then output each frame to a Screenshot Bitmap..
> the card I was using was a Radeon 9700pro, and at 640X480, each frame took
> roughly .7 seconds to dump the buffer into a BMP.
>
> then assemble the BMP sequence in after effects or somethin similar.. it
> really doesn't take long..
>
> I got a 2+ minute demo recorded, rendered and edited in under 3 hours..
>
> it didn't matter to my needs that I couldn't capture sound.. but even then,
> that's a case of leaving wavestudio running while you play the sequences then
> syncing afterwards..
>
> I realise this isn't directly applicable as I was using 2k3, but there's got
> to be a way for UT
>

Luckily I have 2 pcs :) 

Using TV-out on one and TV-in on the other. Also, splited the audio jack into 2
cables so one goes into the main speakers and the other into the 2nd pc.
Download the use PC InterVideo WinCoder (free!!!) I'm able to make quality
movies with naturally in-sync sounds.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:16:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Thanks for the replies all.

I have settled on FRAPS

http://www.fraps.com/

It captures everything on screen. Audio video the works. The output is a
straight AVI file unencoded (mpeg2 I think) so it is huge, 1.4 gb for a 8
minute capture.

I'm running an athlon XP 2.4 1gb of ram and a Geforce 5900. The max capture
speed I can get is 25fps at half screen size. Any bigger settings and game
play FPS drops way off. So I guess its upgrade time ( A nice athlon 64 3.4
:-) would be good). It also seems less choppy if the output file is on a
different hard disk. I don't know why but there you go.

I now need to reencode the huge avi files down smaller with Divx or similar.

One odd thing I recorded some ut demos in the usual manner and when I tried
to run demoplay and use fraps to record them then it ran horribly at about 2
frames a second.

Still Its fun learning as you go.

Vis
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:44:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:5DV_d.419$X84.311@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> Thanks for the replies all.
>
> I have settled on FRAPS
>
> http://www.fraps.com/
>
> It captures everything on screen. Audio video the works. The output is a
> straight AVI file unencoded (mpeg2 I think) so it is huge, 1.4 gb for a 8
> minute capture.
>
> I'm running an athlon XP 2.4 1gb of ram and a Geforce 5900. The max
> capture speed I can get is 25fps at half screen size. Any bigger settings
> and game play FPS drops way off. So I guess its upgrade time ( A nice
> athlon 64 3.4 :-) would be good). It also seems less choppy if the
> output file is on a different hard disk. I don't know why but there you
> go.
>
> I now need to reencode the huge avi files down smaller with Divx or
> similar.
>
> One odd thing I recorded some ut demos in the usual manner and when I
> tried to run demoplay and use fraps to record them then it ran horribly at
> about 2 frames a second.
>
> Still Its fun learning as you go.
>
> Vis
>
I think I read somewhere if you are using WinXP load the file into
MovieMaker. Then save it compressed.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:26:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Yes done that. Windows movie maker works and is fast but the resulting file
is blurry. I used DR Divx it takes longer but the resulting movie is much
clearer. The file size goes from 1.4gb to 50-60mb depending on which prog
your using.

Vis
!