UT Demos convert to movies is it possible?

Any one know if it is possible?

I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be
done. I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems to
be no.

I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame but
that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.

http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down

Any help or pointers gratefully received.

Visine
10 answers Last reply
More about demos convert movies possible

    I have been looking for something like that for years now. Let me know if
    anything works for you.

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:31:24 GMT, "Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame but
    >that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.

    Fraps captures everything I believe.

    Looks good for making new demos. But does not look like It can convert old
    ones. Thanks for the name.

    http://www.fraps.com/

    This is the site yes?

    Visine

    "Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Any one know if it is possible?
    >
    > I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be done.
    > I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems to be no.
    >
    > I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame but
    > that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.
    >
    > http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down
    >
    > Any help or pointers gratefully received.
    >
    > Visine

    I capture my movies (UT2004) by using my card's TV-out cable. Nice and quick. If
    you want to convert every frame digitally into a video frame then that will take
    hours if not days. Just imagine how much processing power is needed.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    When i was in university, I had to render some in-game footage to movie..

    and there were console lines for UT2003 that allowed you to record a demo,
    then output each frame to a Screenshot Bitmap..
    the card I was using was a Radeon 9700pro, and at 640X480, each frame took
    roughly .7 seconds to dump the buffer into a BMP.

    then assemble the BMP sequence in after effects or somethin similar.. it
    really doesn't take long..

    I got a 2+ minute demo recorded, rendered and edited in under 3 hours..

    it didn't matter to my needs that I couldn't capture sound.. but even then,
    that's a case of leaving wavestudio running while you play the sequences
    then syncing afterwards..

    I realise this isn't directly applicable as I was using 2k3, but there's got
    to be a way for UT

    Nick.

    "TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message

    > "Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Any one know if it is possible?
    >>
    >> I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be
    >> done. I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems
    >> to be no.
    >>
    >> I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame
    >> but that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.
    >>
    >> http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down
    >>
    >> Any help or pointers gratefully received.
    >>
    >> Visine
    >
    > I capture my movies (UT2004) by using my card's TV-out cable. Nice and
    > quick. If you want to convert every frame digitally into a video frame
    > then that will take hours if not days. Just imagine how much processing
    > power is needed.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Someone brought up Fraps. I can't remember but I'm sure that UT has the
    capability of playing back its own Demos. Just use fraps to record UT
    playing back a Demo. Seems the simplest solution to me.

    "Visine" <Visine~not~@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Any one know if it is possible?
    >
    > I have some demos I'd like to convert to movies but no idea if it can be
    > done. I've had a look at Meltdowns FAQ and googled and the answer seems
    > to be no.
    >
    > I did find a converter to capture the demo while playing frame for frame
    > but that left capturing the sound separate and mixing it all together.
    >
    > http://www.perilith.com/movieunrealplusplus/#down
    >
    > Any help or pointers gratefully received.
    >
    > Visine

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Nick Sadler" <nick.sadler@**sorry for spamguard**blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:xcJ_d.85829$ug2.28299@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > When i was in university, I had to render some in-game footage to movie..
    >
    > and there were console lines for UT2003 that allowed you to record a demo,
    > then output each frame to a Screenshot Bitmap..
    > the card I was using was a Radeon 9700pro, and at 640X480, each frame took
    > roughly .7 seconds to dump the buffer into a BMP.
    >
    > then assemble the BMP sequence in after effects or somethin similar.. it
    > really doesn't take long..
    >
    > I got a 2+ minute demo recorded, rendered and edited in under 3 hours..
    >
    > it didn't matter to my needs that I couldn't capture sound.. but even then,
    > that's a case of leaving wavestudio running while you play the sequences then
    > syncing afterwards..
    >
    > I realise this isn't directly applicable as I was using 2k3, but there's got
    > to be a way for UT

    Luckily I have 2 pcs :)

    Using TV-out on one and TV-in on the other. Also, splited the audio jack into 2
    cables so one goes into the main speakers and the other into the 2nd pc.
    Download the use PC InterVideo WinCoder (free!!!) I'm able to make quality
    movies with naturally in-sync sounds.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Thanks for the replies all.

    I have settled on FRAPS

    http://www.fraps.com/

    It captures everything on screen. Audio video the works. The output is a
    straight AVI file unencoded (mpeg2 I think) so it is huge, 1.4 gb for a 8
    minute capture.

    I'm running an athlon XP 2.4 1gb of ram and a Geforce 5900. The max capture
    speed I can get is 25fps at half screen size. Any bigger settings and game
    play FPS drops way off. So I guess its upgrade time ( A nice athlon 64 3.4
    :-) would be good). It also seems less choppy if the output file is on a
    different hard disk. I don't know why but there you go.

    I now need to reencode the huge avi files down smaller with Divx or similar.

    One odd thing I recorded some ut demos in the usual manner and when I tried
    to run demoplay and use fraps to record them then it ran horribly at about 2
    frames a second.

    Still Its fun learning as you go.

    Vis
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > Thanks for the replies all.
    >
    > I have settled on FRAPS
    >
    > http://www.fraps.com/
    >
    > It captures everything on screen. Audio video the works. The output is a
    > straight AVI file unencoded (mpeg2 I think) so it is huge, 1.4 gb for a 8
    > minute capture.
    >
    > I'm running an athlon XP 2.4 1gb of ram and a Geforce 5900. The max
    > capture speed I can get is 25fps at half screen size. Any bigger settings
    > and game play FPS drops way off. So I guess its upgrade time ( A nice
    > athlon 64 3.4 :-) would be good). It also seems less choppy if the
    > output file is on a different hard disk. I don't know why but there you
    > go.
    >
    > I now need to reencode the huge avi files down smaller with Divx or
    > similar.
    >
    > One odd thing I recorded some ut demos in the usual manner and when I
    > tried to run demoplay and use fraps to record them then it ran horribly at
    > about 2 frames a second.
    >
    > Still Its fun learning as you go.
    >
    > Vis

    I think I read somewhere if you are using WinXP load the file into
    MovieMaker. Then save it compressed.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Yes done that. Windows movie maker works and is fast but the resulting file
    is blurry. I used DR Divx it takes longer but the resulting movie is much
    clearer. The file size goes from 1.4gb to 50-60mb depending on which prog
    your using.

    Vis

Movies Games Converter Video Games