Upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBPackerNut

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Here is the question:
Would changing my current CPU (Core 2 Duo E4500) for a newer (Pentium E6800) be an decent upgrade.
I have heard that the current "Pentiums" are actually Core 2 microarchitecture, but cannot seem to be able to confirm it.
My current processor feels a bit pokey, and would like to do an upgrade so I dont know if this would be even worthwhile.
I want to be able to update it a little to make it better for another 6 months or so, would like to wait until SandyBridge and Bulldozer come out before shelling out hard earned cash on a full upgrade.

Here is my current system:
Antec Mini P180 case
Corsair HX750 PSU
Intel DQ45CB LGA 775 Motherboard
4x 2GB DDR2 800 Ram (8GB)
2x Seagate 7200.12 250GB HDD
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP Video Card (Nvidia GTX 460 1GB)

Current Processor:
Intel Core 2 DUO E4500
2.2Ghz, 2 cores, 800Mhz FSB, 2M L2 Cache, 65nm, Allendale

Potential Processor:
Intel Pentium E6800
3.33Ghz, 2 cores, 1066Mhz FSB, 2M L2 Cache, 45nm, Wolfdale

By the raw numbers I would assume the 3.33 should walk away from the old 2.2, but its not a "Core 2" does that actually matter?
The reason I am looking at the E6800, is right now I can get it for under $100 at newegg, and I wouldnt mind spending $100 to make it perform a little better. And then next summer when the new slew of boards and processors are out (I sure hope they natively support USB3.0 and SATA 3 by then) I can consider spending a larger sum of money building a proper rig.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Solution
Hello GBPackerNut, Welcome to THW.

You are right you should get a good boost in performance, but I do not have personal expierence with those CPU's so I cant really say exactally how much.

Here is a link to benchmarks compairing your Intel Core 2 DUO E4500 vs. Intel Pentium E6300 - 2.80GHz . Now this CPU is 2.8GHz and your replacement will be 3.3GHz so the difference in performance should be even greater than whats is shown between these two CPU's.

I hope that helps you put the performance difference into perspective a little better. On the other hand you could look into the possibility of doing an OC on your current CPU, I am not sure how high you would be able to go with an OC on that CPU though as its dependant on its own...

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello GBPackerNut, Welcome to THW.

You are right you should get a good boost in performance, but I do not have personal expierence with those CPU's so I cant really say exactally how much.

Here is a link to benchmarks compairing your Intel Core 2 DUO E4500 vs. Intel Pentium E6300 - 2.80GHz . Now this CPU is 2.8GHz and your replacement will be 3.3GHz so the difference in performance should be even greater than whats is shown between these two CPU's.

I hope that helps you put the performance difference into perspective a little better. On the other hand you could look into the possibility of doing an OC on your current CPU, I am not sure how high you would be able to go with an OC on that CPU though as its dependant on its own abillities, the motherboard, RAM, and your cooling setup. But if your interested in that route maybe you could hold out until you want to do your next full system build.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.