Sign in with
Your question

Building First Computer

Last response: in CPUs
November 14, 2010 5:30:08 PM

Hello,
I need some help building a really awesome gameing computer, under $800 I would like to be able to play the newest games in the highest setting. I would also like to know which hardware you would recomend. Ex Video card, how much memory stuff like that, Im builing this computer from scratch and i will be ordering the parts from Newegg.com so..... Any advice would be greatly appritated. ^_^

More about : building computer

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 5:34:49 PM

what resolution are you planning on gaming at?
m
l
November 14, 2010 5:37:43 PM

I suppose I would like 1600x 900 but im not sure, i havent really looked much into computer screens. I would also most likely like it to be HD 1080, I dont know if that would make a diffrence so.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 5:39:34 PM

So is the monitor part of the 800.00 budget, or do you plan on buying that separate?
m
l
November 14, 2010 5:43:59 PM

That will be Separate.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 5:46:40 PM

Ok i'll see what i can do for a build, try to get a full HD monitor if your buying a new one. 1680 isn't full hd.
m
l
November 15, 2010 8:03:00 PM

I have another question, I have a 32" tv, Sony Bravia 1080p 120hz Could i just use that as my monitor i know its kinda big but hey, that would be kewl.
m
l
November 15, 2010 8:07:19 PM

Just So you should know one of the games I probably would be playing alot is World Of warcraft, but I'm also going to buy Modern warfare, and I like to play sims 3 alot too. Right now i cant run these games very well with my laptop, I was wondering with the build you suggested, if its powerfull enough to run most of these games at the highest settings? Also Future games being relased to the pc, like Force Unleashed 2 stuff like that Thanks.
m
l
November 15, 2010 8:16:10 PM

One More thing too, I was just talkin to my mom, and she asked if i could go under 500? But my question to that is, How much peformance would i loose going this much cheaper, say for example. If i tryed to build a computer for 800$ or less would it be only 20% more powerful then a 500$ or less computer?
m
l
a c 334 à CPUs
a c 269 U Graphics card
November 15, 2010 8:29:06 PM

1) Plan on using your 32" TV. I assume it has a HDMI input.
2) Plan on the graphics card first, it is most important. I suggest a GTX470 or 6870. Read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-rad...
3) A dual core cpu clocked at 3.0 or higher should suffice. In some games, 3 or 4 cores is helpful.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co...
4) get a 4gb kit of ram(2 x 2gb) that is supported on your selected motherboard. Don't spend extra on speed or timings, particularly on intel builds.
5) Don't spend extra on motherboards. Consider a micro-atx, or even a mini-itx sized motherboard. They tend to be cheaper, and can fit in smaller HTPC style cases.
6) GET A QUALITY PSU. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX are a couple of good brands.
7) Download and read the motherboard and case manuals now. It will raise and answer many questions.

---good luck---
m
l
November 15, 2010 8:29:46 PM

here's my build I just completed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298477-31-final-build...

It comes to $850 so its a little higher than your budget but its a super solid machine capable of playing all games on high on 90% of resolutions normally used.

To lower your cost, take the CPU cooler off (if you dont plan on OC'ing) and that will reduce it by $35 right there.

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2010 8:58:44 PM

Hi jsbabyjay, Welcome to THW.

For starters, yes you can use your 32" Sony Bravia tv, but just to make sure check the PC input in the manual and read the accepted resolutions and refresh rates just to be safe, I know it will take in 1920x1080, but the refresh rates are what is important. I have been using a 37" HDTV for a monitor for 5years now and for the last 2years I have used a Sony Bravia XBR6 37", if your wondering thats my TV also, saved some $ not buying a PC monitor.

Newegg has been having alot of deals since the start of November, if you have not signed up for all their sales newsletters do that ASAP as they can save you alot if you get lucky.

----ALL parts and PRICES are from Newegg.com----

With a $800 dollar budget you should go with:

i7-760 CPU $200, to get the best gaming performance you can, Tom's agrees( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overcloc... )

Cpu cooler, COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $30.

For a Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E LX $120 , thats is you want USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s otherwise you can save more here.

RAM G.SKILL 4GB $70 (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

For GFX(I like AMD so thats what I will recommend) XFX 6850 $200 they offer a life time warranty

HDD Western Digital $45 Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive needs SATA cable $2

PSU Antec Basiq BP430 $45 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner $16 Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM needs a SATS cable$ 2

Xigmatek ASGARD II B/B $40 CPC-T45UC-U01 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case , you can also save $ here on the case but this one looked nicer than others

Total ~$770 To save $ you can take off the CPU cooler if you like(its not nessisary) and you can find a cheaper case. Dont foget if you buy OEM HDD or DVD burner you'll need to get a SATA cable for each.

Also I started this before you posted the below $500 price, to do that you will have to make alot of sacrifices when it come to the performance and or quality of you build. For $500 you will most likely be best off with AMD as you can save a good deal going with them over Intel. You really cant go cheaper on the HDD unless you dont need 320GB same with the DVD drive as you need that. You can get a cheaper PC case but it may not be best of quality or look as nice, The best place to save is with going to AMD CPU and AMD Mobo. The PSU is not where you want to cut conners either.

[Latest EDIT?] Hey malmental, are asking me or the OP? I am not going through all that work again without and update from the OP on what his REAL budget is. :??: 
m
l
November 16, 2010 2:09:24 AM

Wow all this insight is soooo overwhelming haha... Thank you so much The chief and sports fan boy, I looking into what u guys suggested, and seeing what would be the best The chief From the build that Sportfanboy gave and what u suggested what do you thnk is best there both come out to almost the same price.. so what do you think, and also if i tryed make a computer under 500 would it be possible to run most current games on high settings?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 2:30:29 AM

I'm only a guide, it is you that must walk the path :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 2:31:52 AM

Well to figure out what kind of performance you will get for $500, you really need to know:

1. What CPU your going to use
2. What GPU you can afford after buying all the other nessesary parts.

Just to be clear you have no parts that you can use on this new system to help lower your costs? Maybe an Old case, DVD drive, Hard Drive? Is $500 the new set in stone budget? or are you still looking into $800 as an option?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 2:34:55 AM

lol, monday night at the bar, hehe

anyway, like thechief said you will need to have specific goals, because 500 going to be tight for a viable gaming machine. Doable but a bit tight.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 2:40:36 AM

Here's a 500 dollar build you might have to pony up an extra 50 to 100 dollars to up grade the video card, but not a bad build for the money.

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 3:18:29 AM

Dang it sportsfanboy, stop beating me to posts :fou:  :lol:  Oh and my build is better :kaola:  and you forgot a DVD drive.

Well I got board so here is my version of a $500 gaming PC, I hope that or the $800 build is what you are looking for, they both have quality parts that wont dissapoint you.

**--[EDIT]--** Ok, I concede to defeat sportsfanboy, you have put together one nice system. With that Nvidia GPU, an AMD cannot compete for that low of price, but I did get close. I have removed the old CPU I reccomended to remove the risk of core unlocking and changed the Mobo to all a better GPU.

[EDIT] ^^^I have updated the parts list as of 11/16^^^
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 3:52:14 AM

Go for amd althon quad..and go also for the Nvidia gtx 460 it really is the best value in the market today..
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 4:29:28 AM

@zulfadhli, the OP is working within a budget to build his PC and without providing him with the rest of the system parts and a good reasoning for your choices, your suggestions are, sorry to say, kind of meaningless. Also the athlon CPU's are outdated and perform slightly slower than the newer Phenom in gaming and benchmarks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 12:09:23 PM

thechief73 said:
Dang it sportsfanboy, stop beating me to posts :fou:  :lol:  Oh and my build is better :kaola:  and you forgot a DVD drive

I have to disagree :D  My power supply, chip, hard drive, case are all better/faster/bigger and I believe my video card is faster as well.My mother board has a newer better chipset as well,lol. DVD drives are like 18 dollars so he can add that, I figured people can do some work on their own.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 1:12:27 PM

sportsfanboy said:
I have to disagree :D 
I wasnt serious, just joking around. :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 1:37:16 PM

Wasn't being overly serious either, Just making some points :) 

m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 2:29:54 PM

Phenom 925 // Asus M4A79XTD EVO: $189 ($174 after rebate)

The Phenom 740 // AsRock 880GXH/USB3 is really tempting at $149 for a budget build but you would have to add a cooler (and you lose CrossFire)

The HIS Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB for $113 after rebate ($142 before rebate) will set you up for a killer CrossFire down the road.

This Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 kit is $67 --- really good stuff.

This Rosewill R218-P-BK Case is a good deal for $35 shipped.

Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB Hard Drive: $55

You could go low with the Corsair Builder Series CX430 but you might as well get off your wallet and snag the Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550w for $86 ($66 after rebate). The 650w 650TX would be $17 more, and would give you all the headroom you would ever want (for maybe an HD6870 CrossFire if the prices ever come down to earth!)

Throw in a $20 optical and off yah go ...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 3:22:56 PM

The seasonic520w for 59.00 is the best deal IMO
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 3:40:33 PM

^Agreed, that is a nice PSU and might be handel a mild crossfire setup though I wouldnt try it. But within this budget I do not belive many motherboards will be well suited for Crossfire or SLi, because they will either run in x16/x8(not bad only lose a few %) or x8/x8(lose a few more %) and some only allow for 1 x16. And the added cost of a higher power PSU, say 600w for Crossfire/SLI, it might take him too far out of budget. :??: 
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 3:50:03 PM

sportsfanboy said:
The seasonic520w for 59.00 is the best deal IMO

thechief73 said:
^Agreed, that is a nice PSU and might be handel a mild crossfire setup though I wouldnt try it. But within this budget I do not belive many motherboards will be well suited for Crossfire or SLi, because they will either run in x16/x8(not bad only lose a few %) or x8/x8(lose a few more %) and some only allow for 1 x16. And the added cost of a higher power PSU, say 600w for Crossfire/SLI, it might take him too far out of budget. :??: 

I've got no issue with the Seasonic 520. And though we may be banging a bit against the *minimum* recommended level, 2xHD5770s will most likely put the total rig in the 380w-400w range; either the Seasonic or Corsair will provide clean power at that level.

And PCIe Gen2 x8x8 Crossfire is fine. There is minimal performance to be gained at x16x16, otherwise, with little to no impact on game play.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 3:50:27 PM

He's not asking for a crossfire/sli build for 500.00. Certainly add a more powerful psu if sli/ or crossfire is in the future.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2010 4:07:51 PM

Wisecracker said:
I've got no issue with the Seasonic 520. And though we may be banging a bit against the *minimum* recommended level, 2xHD5770s will most likely put the total rig in the 380w-400w range; either the Seasonic or Corsair will provide clean power at that level.

And PCIe Gen2 x8x8 Crossfire is fine. There is minimal performance to be gained at x16x16, otherwise, with little to no impact on game play.

Wisecracker, I like Corsair PSU's(I just bought one) and Seasonic for thier reputation of good quaility parts, but I just agree that the Seasonic 520 offers the best value and features to the OP ATM, but they are all nice PSU and will serve thier purpose well.

You very well may be able to run a X-fire/SLi off that PSU, but going for the bare minimum needed IMHO is not a good idea, you run a risk of being underpowered, your PSU wont be as efficent, and you will be streesing it components resulting in a shorter life span.

I understand the minimal differences in performance when it comes to different PCI-E setups, that why I mentioned the difference of only a few % in my prevous post.
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 4:14:35 PM

sportsfanboy said:
He's not asking for a crossfire/sli build for 500.00. Certainly add a more powerful psu if sli/ or crossfire is in the future.

I understand ...

His stated intention is he "would like to be able to play the newest games in the highest setting" at 1920x1080. A single HD5770 will not quite get him there with his $500 build, but the addition of a second HD5770 for $110 will.

The Phenom 925 // Asus M4A79XTD EVO combp for $175 is like stealing :lol:  CrossFire is simply gravy on that larceny.

From Legit Reviews:

They are running an i7 --- the rig I spec'ed above should easily drop that total load by 20w. Either PSU we discussed will operate well in that power envelop.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 4:30:22 PM

^ Nice, the 5770 use a little less power than I thought.

The problem is there will be a sacrifice with a 500 build, your not getting two 5770's or comparable performance, with everything else for 500.00. Honestly a single 6850, or gtx 460 would be the way to go IMO.

Also one thing those charts don't talk about is how many amps on the 12v are being drawn. Both psu's have around 40 amps. What does the 5770 require, I think it's around 22 I don't remember. That would make it under the total wattage, but over the amps on the 12v.
m
l
a c 115 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 5:16:25 PM

sportsfanboy said:
^ Nice, the 5770 use a little less power than I thought.

The problem is there will be a sacrifice with a 500 build, your not getting two 5770's or comparable performance, with everything else for 500.00. Honestly a single 6850, or gtx 460 would be the way to go IMO.

Also one thing those charts don't talk about is how many amps on the 12v are being drawn. Both psu's have around 40 amps. What does the 5770 require, I think it's around 22 I don't remember. That would make it under the total wattage, but over the amps on the 12v.

He would be getting a single HD5770 within (or at least close to) his $500 budget.

To compute amps you have to divide the wattage by the volts. In the case of the HD5770 IIRC you are looking at 120w max (probably more like 110w).

120w divided by 12v equals 10 amps

That would be roughly 1/2 the claimed amps on one of the Seasonic 520 *rails*. My understanding is that Seasonic fudged on this --- instead of 2 21 amp rails, they actually have a single 42 amp rail (which is fine).

They just need to be a little more accurate with their specs - LOL
m
l
!