Upgrading my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amer9417

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hello,Im looking to upgrade my pc i have a Intel Pentium D processor an ASUS EMERY motherboard two gigs of DDR2 ram and an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GPU, also any information i need to know before i upgrade myself would be great

Solution
Your windows operating system reads a small bios file unique for your motherboard when it boots up. Any non hp board won't let windows load, so you'll need a new windows coa for any other board. Many oem systems are like this; microsoft sells them the software cheaper with this type of setup.

Amer9417

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

What if i were to swap out the motherboard and any other outdated part but keep the hard drive, would that work instead of getting a new windows coa

Your windows operating system reads a small bios file unique for your motherboard when it boots up. Any non hp board won't let windows load, so you'll need a new windows coa for any other board. Many oem systems are like this; microsoft sells them the software cheaper with this type of setup.

Solution

Amer9417

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

I see, so there is no way around the purchasing of a new COA? What if i were to find a HP motherboard, im guessing it still wouldn't be commpatible ? Sorry about all the questions but im new to all this an i wanna be sure i know what im doing.

I've already had the same issue come up with vista and hp. Do what you want, but most likely your old windows won't work; you can backup your files first or make backup dvd's before changing the board. But my backup dvd's wouldn't even work with a non hp board. So choose your board carefully and be sure it will last you awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.