17in laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are there site(s) and/or mag(s) that have reviews of the current
and upcoming 17in laptops? I am in the market for one. TIA
Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

HP ZD7000 series machine are the best value on the market in 17 inch
screens.

If you need extremely high resolution, the zd7260 has an SXGA+ screen at
1680x1024. The 7380 has the same screen but adds toys: remote control for
watching DVD's without booting, a TV tuner, WindowsXP Media Center. The
lower end 7180 and others have WXGA screens at 1440x900. Even the high end
Toshiba "P30-QR7" which also feature Windows Media Center and a tuner only
has a 1440x900 screen. I use the machine for video editing and needed a
MINIMUM vertical resolution of 1024.

Both use P4HT chips at 3.2GHz and the Intel 82865G chipset - in short,
desktop machines designed to travel from power outlet to power outlet. I'm
happy to get one hour of battery life, ecstatic to get 2 hours. But I was
looking for a portable NLE workstation.

If you'd rather sacrifice performance for battery life, look at an "M"
series processor and something with a Centrino badge.

Chris

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> writes:
> HP ZD7000 series machine are the best value on the market in 17 inch
> screens.
> If you need extremely high resolution, the zd7260 has an SXGA+ screen at
> 1680x1024.

Wow, those are really excellent deals. If you remove the overpriced
options you and get a stripped-down unit with that screen (actually
WSXGA+, 1680x1050) for about $1300. Unfortunately there seems to be
no way to get that screen without Brightview, which is good for watching
movies but doesn't seem so great for working on text.

> Both use P4HT chips at 3.2GHz and the Intel 82865G chipset -

All they need is an Athlon 64 version and I'll be drooling.

> in short, desktop machines designed to travel from power outlet to
> power outlet.

Yeah, that's the way I've been using my A20p. For more portability and
battery operation I just got an X40. My A20p is pretty trashed by now,
but I guess it still has some life left in it, so I can wait to see
what 17" machines come out in the next several months or whatever.

Thanx all for your recommendations. Maybe I should have mentioned
what I am looking for:
1. 17in widescreen
2. pentium m (or athlon 64)
3. eraser head (e.g. trackpoint) (you'd think all 17in laptops
had this!)
4. 256 mb video card (or at least 128mb that can be used for
occasional gaming). An upgradable video card is a real plus.
5. 7200rpm (at least 5400) HD
6. 10 lbs or lighter.

So far, I have not seen a laptop that has the above. Sager NP9860
supports upgradable vid card, e.g. PCI-express, but it has P4 thus
poor battery life (P4 is not that faster than PM) and no eraserhead.
I would get the 9200 but Dell kind of taken the easy route on
it (weak video card, no eraserhead, etc). I may have to wait longer
but I am getting sick of waiting...

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance

_cygnusx-1_@excite.com writes:
> So far, I have not seen a laptop that has the above. Sager NP9860
> supports upgradable vid card, e.g. PCI-express, but it has P4 thus
> poor battery life (P4 is not that faster than PM) and no eraserhead.

If you want a 17 inch screen and a fast cpu and fast video, forget
about battery operation. These machines are basically desktop
machines that you can move from one place to another without having to
lug multiple boxes around. They are too big to really be portable.

Not many laptops have eraser heads these days. IBM is one of the
holdouts. I think some Toshibas have it. I think Toshiba has a
super-expensive 17" machine but I don't know if that machine has an
eraser head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts