Windows Update error resolution problem

I keep getting the error code [Error number: 0x800A0046] when applying a
windows update.

The resolution for this can take three steps. I have tried all three but
have an issue with this specific step:

Method 3: Add the Local Administrator and Service accounts to the
Impersonate a client after authentication policy
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Local Security Policy.
2. Expand Local Policies.
3. Click User Rights Assignment.
4. Double-click to open the Impersonate a client after authentication policy
5. On the Local Security Settings tab, click Add User or Group, and then add
the Administrator and Service to the list of Users and Groups.
6. Click OK, and then restart the computer.

The problem is my Local Security Policy does not have an -Impersonate a
client after authentication policy- to chage! Any ideas. I am running XP Pro
SP1 as I can't upgrade to sp2?!?

If it's any consolation, I'm running XP Pro SP1 and I do not have
Impersonate a client after authentication policy either.

Did you try the other two methods?

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883821

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C981F740-982B-4685-851C-6381157516CE@microsoft.com,
Mr dB <MrdB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I keep getting the error code [Error number: 0x800A0046] when applying a
> windows update.
>
> The resolution for this can take three steps. I have tried all three but
> have an issue with this specific step:
>
> Method 3: Add the Local Administrator and Service accounts to the
> Impersonate a client after authentication policy
> 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
> then click Local Security Policy.
> 2. Expand Local Policies.
> 3. Click User Rights Assignment.
> 4. Double-click to open the Impersonate a client after authentication
> policy
> 5. On the Local Security Settings tab, click Add User or Group, and then
> add the Administrator and Service to the list of Users and Groups.
> 6. Click OK, and then restart the computer.
>
> The problem is my Local Security Policy does not have an -Impersonate a
> client after authentication policy- to chage! Any ideas. I am running XP
> Pro SP1 as I can't upgrade to sp2?!?

Hi Wes,

Well glad I'm not the only one!

I have successfully completed the other two methods. The user only belongs
to the administrator group - hopefully not restircted. It is the created
admin account I am using anyway.

Also after carefully mistyping the sdset command line several times I got it
to report back with the success message but still no updates can be run.

Look forward to any other suggestions.

Regards
Mr dB

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> If it's any consolation, I'm running XP Pro SP1 and I do not have
> Impersonate a client after authentication policy either.
>
> Did you try the other two methods?
>
> You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
> the Windows Update Web site
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883821
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:C981F740-982B-4685-851C-6381157516CE@microsoft.com,
> Mr dB <MrdB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I keep getting the error code [Error number: 0x800A0046] when applying a
> > windows update.
> >
> > The resolution for this can take three steps. I have tried all three but
> > have an issue with this specific step:
> >
> > Method 3: Add the Local Administrator and Service accounts to the
> > Impersonate a client after authentication policy
> > 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
> > then click Local Security Policy.
> > 2. Expand Local Policies.
> > 3. Click User Rights Assignment.
> > 4. Double-click to open the Impersonate a client after authentication
> > policy
> > 5. On the Local Security Settings tab, click Add User or Group, and then
> > add the Administrator and Service to the list of Users and Groups.
> > 6. Click OK, and then restart the computer.
> >
> > The problem is my Local Security Policy does not have an -Impersonate a
> > client after authentication policy- to chage! Any ideas. I am running XP
> > Pro SP1 as I can't upgrade to sp2?!?

Hi Mr dB,

I failed to add that Microsoft Updates does work for me.

CAUSE
• The 0x800A0046 error code may occur if one of the following conditions is
true:
• The Impersonate a client after authentication policy is missing the
Administrator and Service account from the list of Users and Groups.
You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883821

You can look through these if you like...
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?View=msdn&p=1&s=1&c=10&st=a&qu=Impersonate+a+client+after+authentication&qp=Impersonate+a+client+after+authentication&na=32&cm=512

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes