Closed Solved

Phenom II X4 965 Running too hot?

I have a Phenom II X4 965 C3 Revision at stock 3.4Ghz speed with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. At idle Im getting in the mid 40's (celsius) about 50% load with small encoding or editing it gets in the 50's and after some heavy gaming (Bad Company 2) Ive seen it get as high as 63c. Now the max temps for the processor is 60c so that worrys me. Im using the thermal paste that was on the cooler and when I stuck it down I had to take it back up again to adjust something so maybe it didn't get spread evenly.

So Is that too high? Anyone else have this cooler and can comment? Id like to keep the cooler becuase It has good reviews on the same processor even overclocking. Maybe ill just get some AS-5 and re do it?

Thanks for help/input
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom running
  1. solidsteel said:
    I have a Phenom II X4 965 C3 Revision at stock 3.4Ghz speed with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. At idle Im getting in the mid 40's (celsius) about 50% load with small encoding or editing it gets in the 50's and after some heavy gaming (Bad Company 2) Ive seen it get as high as 63c. Now the max temps for the processor is 60c so that worrys me. Im using the thermal paste that was on the cooler and when I stuck it down I had to take it back up again to adjust something so maybe it didn't get spread evenly.

    So Is that too high? Anyone else have this cooler and can comment? Id like to keep the cooler becuase It has good reviews on the same processor even overclocking. Maybe ill just get some AS-5 and re do it?

    Thanks for help/input


    I wouldn't say thats alarmingly hot but you could get it cooler with a better cooler.

    Also is your fan running using cool n quiet?

    Check this for installation, too much thermal paste is just as bad as not enough.

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#
  2. beanoslim said:
    I wouldn't say thats alarmingly hot but you could get it cooler with a better cooler.

    Also is your fan running using cool n quiet?

    Check this for installation, too much thermal paste is just as bad as not enough.

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#



    Thanks for the link. Ill read into that. I lmao'ed when it said:
    Arctic Silver Thermal Compound Precautions:
    1) Don't put it in your mouth.

    I dont really want to have to buy a new cooler I think the one I have will suffice. Maybe I smeared it a little or maybe its not tight enough becuase I remember it was a corny install. First build too. But I mean its still running since I built it in Febuary and Its never even blue screened or crashed during an application or game due to temps or instability. And what is cool'n'quiet? I have an MSI 790FX-GD70. So IDK about that you tell me.
  3. Best answer
    Quote:
    Thanks for the link. Ill read into that. I lmao'ed when it said:
    Arctic Silver Thermal Compound Precautions:
    1) Don't put it in your mouth.


    Its a good starting point. :lol:

    Quote:
    I dont really want to have to buy a new cooler I think the one I have will suffice. Maybe I smeared it a little or maybe its not tight enough becuase I remember it was a corny install. First build too. But I mean its still running since I built it in Febuary and Its never even blue screened or crashed during an application or game due to temps or instability.


    Yeah it should be fine, you'll probably lower your temps a bit with a fresh install.
    Just take your time, you hardly need any paste and give your cpu and heatsink a good clean before installation.

    Quote:
    And what is cool'n'quiet? I have an MSI 790FX-GD70. So IDK about that you tell me.


    Cool n quiet basically lowers your fan speeds when cpu is cooler and raises fan speeds as it gets hotter.
    If you were to get a fan speed controller you could set the fan to run at a constant speed and turn it up manually when needed, this could possibly enable you to keep your cpu cooler overall.

    http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/cool-n-quiet/Pages/cool-n-quiet.aspx
  4. Cool n quiet basically lowers your fan speeds when cpu is cooler and raises fan speeds as it gets hotter.
    If you were to get a fan speed controller you could set the fan to run at a constant speed and turn it up manually when needed, this could possibly enable you to keep your cpu cooler overall.

    http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/cool-n-quiet/Pages/cool-n-quiet.aspx


    Im sure Im not using cool n quiet but how do I find out to make sure. And I thought my CPU fan was fixed at ~2000rpm I didnt know I could change it to improve cooling. But coming from a person who didnt know I could change my GPU fan speed I wouldnt be suprised. Where can I find a fan speed controller, is it software?
  5. Quote:
    Im sure Im not using cool n quiet but how do I find out to make sure. And I thought my CPU fan was fixed at ~2000rpm I didnt know I could change it to improve cooling. But coming from a person who didnt know I could change my GPU fan speed I wouldnt be suprised. Where can I find a fan speed controller, is it software?


    You need to enter the bios, press f2 or delete at startup. These are the screens you are looking for-

    This one has cool n quiet option-



    This one has different fan speed settings and will also tell you cpu temp and fan speeds.



    You can get loads of different fan speed controllers, this is just a cheap one but allows you to set your fan speed at an everyday working speed and then ramp it up if your gaming or encoding etc at the twist of a dial.

    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/casefanaccessories/fanmate2

    Or the expensive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NPA9W6/ref=asc_df_B000NPA9W61311307?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000NPA9W6

    Loads to choose from - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OGZ92O/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000NPA9W6&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0YBM2B7ZH99PHQGAW8F9
  6. Best answer selected by solidsteel.
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Phenom