IJPOOI

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
So far ive been through hell and back looking for a new headset but have still come up with no standouts or any idea of what i want to get, only more reasons not to buy certain headset.

Just so people get an idea of the quality im looking for, i don't mess with creative sound cards anymore, i am in the process of saving for an ASUS Xonar sound card, mostly because i cant afford the really high end cards, and ASUS kicks the s^&* out of Creative. I love crisp clear sound with balanced highs and lows, i only like overpowering bass when im in my truck, and even now its becoming more of a nuisance (JL High Mids and Lows). i play everything from flight sims to FPS on PC, i dont care about console headsets or anything to do with console, so please leave console related things out of this. i dont like USB headsets because i want to be able to take advantage of a good sound card, but if there is a usb headset that really stands out i can probably use the 170 from the sound cards and put it towards the headset.

my price range right now is right around 100$, im burned out on the idea of surround sound headsets because its not true surround, and i cant find anything but problems related to all the 5.1 headsets, weather it is faults in the equipment, or problems with the company.

please do not recommend Razer or Creative Fata1ty

D

Deleted member 217926

Try Sennheiser. I am not sure what models are new but I have had a set of PC 155s ( I think ) for about 5 years now and they still sound as good as the day they were new. Mine is a headset with mic. They were around $100 new.

IJPOOI

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
ive looked into Senns but im just not totally sold on them, ive been looking at turtle beach, sennheiser, and the new soundblaster. any thoughts on these?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I have heard alot of good things about Turtle Beach headsets, but I have not used any of these high end models myself. I have also heard, like you have learned, alot of these "high end" headsets are cheaply made and do not offer any benifits over a normal costing set, so their is alot of risk in buying a product like these.

Here is a nice set of turtle Beach:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/pc-gaming-headsets/ear-force-hpa2.aspx

Here is a cross comparison review, but I thinnk alot of these go over you budget.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2325839,00.asp

Are you looking exclusively for a headset or a headphone.? In the latter case, you can try one from the Audio Technica range.. They have pretty good all-round sound making them suitable for use for both gaming and music listening..

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Also check the Roccat Kave 5.1 headset...
Some time ago I was also searching on good gaming headset that should be also good for movies & music. I changed 3 headsets until I found this one. Since I got this one, I've stopped looking further :)
and no, I'm do not work for Roccat. I'm just happy customer... :D Until this headset, Roccat was totally unknown to me.

These days, given the difficulty of implementing true surround on headsets, I tend to go the virtualization route. Your "best" option is probably to get a good 2.0 headset and use your Xonar's (when you get it) Dolby Virtual Headphone.

That being said, there are a few good true 5.1 headsets out there; I rather liked my old Tritton AX Pro's (before they fell apart), and during my brief try with a friends Astro A40's, I liked what I heard.

Likewise, I shy away from USB implementations, but I'm willing to recommend the Logitech G35. It does a VERY good job of implemented virtaulized 7.1. Quality wise, can't compare to a Xonar paird with a decent headset, but for gaming, barring a 7.1 surround system, I've yet to see something better.

IJPOOI

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
@stupido - do you know of any places that sell the roccat that i can look at and maybe look into some more reviews, and are they line in jacks or USB

IJPOOI

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
@gamerk - looked the the astros, waaaaaaayyyyy out of my price range lol, i wish i could get those tho, any other suggestions, ive looked into trittons but it looks like they have build issues and tend to break easily

IJPOOI

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
@Emperus - im looking mainly for a headset with a mic, but if the quality is there im willing to get a nice clip mic.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Ive just bought (about a month ago) the Plantronics GameCom 777 USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headset.

To be fair to these, i have yet to be more pleased with a headset for comfort and sound quality. At the moment im using it via the USB option, but have tried it both connected to the Sound card and via the USB 5.1 surround.

Both options have very good quality of sound and seem to be a genuine good buy. Miles better than my previous Creative headset.

The only gripe i have with these is that the level of sound for me is low. But i do like to have it blasting in my ears so they hurt. And i have yet to find a headset to satisfy my needs in the loudness department. (even though these are pretty near as damn it)

But loudness isnt everyones cup of tea, even flat out the clarity and quality is superb!

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Just a friendly warning you might like that now, but your guaranteed to regret it later in life.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

By the time it will damage my ear drums beyond hearing, there will be implacations or procedures in the future to sort out inner ear problems in the years to come, if not more fool me :)

And I thought god is the most crazy..

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Laser Eye Surgery is a prime example, there is bound to be Surgery or a medical procedure to help with hearing problems some time in the future... :)

Haven't you ever heard of the term 'prevention is better than cure' .!

D

Deleted member 217926

Don't you want to be the first of your friends to get a mouse ear? :p

IJPOOI

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
and back to the topic at hand....

right now i have the Gamecomm 377, and i like the quality and response, but the cups crush my ears and make it really uncomfortable to have them on for more than an hour, i took the pads off thinking i could dremel the inner cup down some to make it more comfortable, but the part that is raised up and only a few millimeters thick so i cant modify them at all, without the extra foam i added under the pads the headset is almost unwearable for me. are the 777s any better or are the inside of the cups still raised

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
IJPOOI - Since you mentioned you use the Gamecomm 377, I thought I let you know about the headset I have been using the past year now, KOSS SB45.

I use them in online multiplayer/single player gaming and when I get the felling, I use them to listen to music off my PC. I know you really cant call these audiophile headphones, but I consider myself to have a good ear for bad sound, that said though I have never been able to afford high priced headsets to compair these to.

As for their quality have never had them produce any type of static/distorsion over the speakers or the mic, never had anyone complain to me about the mics sound or quality, and it stays in place, no need to worry about it falling down away from your face. Also they are very comforatble at least for me, I know head size makes all the difference, but I never had a problem with ear pain from pinching, and I can use them all day gaming and not even now I had them on when I am done. They are not expensive and come with a lifetime-warranty.

All I can really say is that I am happy with them and the sound quality that they produce is quite good and nothing to complain about. One thing I can say is they may sound a little flat with very high volume or during a big explosion but that sould be expected from somthing at this price point, and very well may be caused or helped by the fact that Im using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value soundcard.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

The 777's fit my newly created mouse ears perfectly, but ears are different per person so not sure if they are the similar shape/padding as the 377's..

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
All depends on if your wanting a deffinate audio jack based heatset or if usb is an option,

Either way 1 thing that seems to be the best for audio quality, from my experience, is a gaming headset as there made moreso to give good surround quality.

I personally use a USB based headset the logitech g35's, 7.1 surround sound with its own nice UI for settings which you want, other that that i could only reccomend the razer megalodons as they give just as good quality but are very comfortable for long time use.

Often though it goes on personal experience with each headset, I found that the creative fatal1ty gave good quality for a sterio based audio jack headset.

In conclusion, for audio quality the logitech g35, but for comfort and less noise reduction go for the razer megalodons and if your on a budget then go for the creative fatal1ty.

These are all headsets ive used and had good experiences with I feel its a little unfair for me to rule out or recomend any other product without actually having experienced anything from them

Cheers
Signor

IJPOOI

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

thanks for the input but the g35s are a little pricy for me, and i havent had very good experiences with usb headsets, driver issues, getting the right thing programed for teamspeak or what ever.

as far as razers go i will never buy anything electronic from razer again, bought one of their keyboards when i first built my computer, and the day i hooked it up i was playing COD and had a driver screwup where the w key stuck and wouldnt unstick till i resarted my computer, how ever they make a nice mouse pad.

the fatal1ty's ive looked at but once again were back to USB.

sorry im being so picky guys ive just spend more money on headsets than i want or need to, only to turn around a few months later and start looking for another one.