Old HDD with Windows 7 to new SSD with Windows 8

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 8
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 30, 2012 10:29:12 PM

I have a couple of questions. I recently purchased a 240GB Intel 330 and Windows 8. What I am planning to do is put Windows 8 in the SSD as a boot drive (and some games/programs) and use my HDD for storage for my other files, such as music or photos. I would like the know the process on how I should be doing this without messing anything up. I do not need to transfer any programs since I feel a lot better when I just re-download everything. From my past couple searches (and correct me if I'm wrong), I should be:

1. Turning off my computer and unplugging my HDD.
2. Put in my SSD and turn on the PC.
3. Go to the BIOS and change it the AHCI.
4. Install Windows 8 and make sure everything is working.

Then after these few steps I'm not sure what I should be doing. Do I just plug in my old HDD and turn on the PC? My main concern is Windows 8 on the SSD somehow interfering with Windows 7 on the old HDD. After the Windows 8 install is sorted out and everything is working, what do I have to do in order to delete everything off of my old HDD?

Thanks. :) 

P.S. I have a Sabertooth X58 motherboard and BF3 is having problems with the Realtek sound drivers. I also purchased a sound card. The Realtek sound drivers won't be automatically installed... right? :( 

More about : hdd windows ssd windows

a b * Windows 8
a c 211 G Storage
November 30, 2012 10:55:32 PM

The Realtek sound drivers won't be automatically installed... right? Might be , but just disable after you install sound card.
m
l
Related resources
!