murch

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have to make a deicison now between two builds.

I do NOT use it for gaming (I have an xbox 360). I use it mainly for general multi tasking stuff (photoshop, web browser, music, movies downloads, email - often with numerous apps running at once.)

I really just want a quick and responsive PC that I can also play around with regarding overclocking.

Here's the options:
* CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W
* MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
* RAM: DDR3 PC 12800/1600 (2x1gb) Corsair XMS3 - dual channel setup - (this RAM is alitte more high spec to cope with overclocking - would this be accurate??)
* HSF: None Required
* HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
* PSU: what ever comes with the case = will be 420w
* GPU: None Required - This system will use on the onboard video, since graphic power is not a priority.
* DVD: Lite-on Super AllWrite SATA - 24x OEM
* Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 341 MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

i3 System
Same setup as above with
* i3 530
* MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
* Cooler Master 355 Black tower

As I said, I will plan to overclock.

AMD system would cost approx $550 and i3 system approx $610 ($AUD)

Thanks team.

mfernicola

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I agree with Saaiello's analysis of what both chips are capable of.

If you are not running multi-threaded apps I would go with the i3. If, however, you will be using this for general multitasking I would think that the four core processor would would more suit your needs for the next 1-2 yrs as more multi-threaded apps are released.

xaira

Distinguished
u just basically asked, 2 fake cores or 2 real cores?

sounds like a no brainer 2 me

handbrake.gif
x264.gif

pov_ray.gif
photoshop_cs4.gif

Although I agree with the 630 as being the better option, it would be best for you to link us to the actual article where you got those graphs. To show us that you didn't cherry-pick them and are biased.

Actually, my experience is purely with the 620, which I have been unable to push past 3.3GHz stable even with voltage as high as 1.6V. I've determined that it is the CPU that is to blame because lowering the CPU multiplier, I am able to push the base clock even higher. However, it is stable at 3.25GHz on stock voltage. As for the i3 capabilities, I have no experience.

daship

Distinguished
The i3, the i3 will OC to 4.0 on stock voltage. Both overclocked the i3 will always come out on top. I have both cpus in hand so, I know first hand. Currently running my i3 @ 4.2. It out performs and stock non i series quad, including AMDs entire line.

murch

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
A appreciate all the replies.

Well.....I'm thinking the Athlon II 630 quad! Simply due to it's multitasking prospects and cheaper price tag. I can spend the savings on more ram if necessary, or a better PSU as mentioned above.

I was leaning to the i3 initially due to the excitiment of being able to clock it to, or past, 4ghz. But going dual core these days is getting a little old. (and the can of worms is opened!!)

Thanks to all.

murch

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

What is the problem with using the PSU that comes with the case? Is it really that bad? (also the shop that I was going to buy from doesn't seem to give the option of which PSU is included. I could ring them I guess).

Actually, for this build what PSU would you suggest. Keeping in mind it's a budget build with no need for gaming or heavy video card.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I love how everyone ignores the cheaper price tag option that I told him at the very beginning and goes into benchmarks and irrelevant options. It won't matter because you will not notice a difference between a dual and a quad with the things that you use your computer for.

4745454b

Titan
Not everyone werxen.

What is the problem with using the PSU that comes with the case? Is it really that bad?

With the notable exception of Antec, most PSUs that come with cases are junk. I don't know which PSU comes with that combo, nor do I know how much your paying for it, but usually when people come here and talk about doing this its rather cheap stuff. For example, I bought a case that came with a 450W PSU and it cost me ~$30 SHIPPED. I was smart enough to not use the PSU.

Have you ever heard that a cheap PSU will be light? This is because when they make it, they literally don't include things they should. For example, the input filtering might be missing parts, or not be present at all. The heatsinks might not be as large as they should be, causing the parts to run hotter then they should. (metal costs money.) By cutting corners (read as by not including things a quality PSU would have) X company can sell a 600W PSU for $20. It could fry itself and anything attached to it however on the first good power surge.

As for what PSU should you run, I have no idea whats available in AU. Here in the states you can get the Corsair 400W pretty cheap. Other options would be units from Antec. Look for something in the 400-550W range.

Those FPS benchmarks you listed will of course be better then the I3 that is a no brainer since those benchmarks can actually use 4 cores to do the rendering. If you were to put an I3 vs the Athlon x4 against each other in a benchmark that can only use 2 threads the I3 will be faster. So what I am saying is that those benchmarks do not fit into real life scenarios I mean of course 4 cores will be better then 2 real and 2 virtual but you really can not make your decision just on that.

Now that I have said that I would still say go with the Athlon for 1 reason and thats price tag. For a budget aspect of it the Athlon makes more sense since it will really provide the same amount of real life performance although dont expect to overclock it that much higher then 3.4ghz.

What? Gaming was never mentioned. In case you haven't noticed, everyone is talking about photoshop and multi-tasking. With a bit of video encoding thrown in for no apparent reason.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

I think what we mean is PS is not a general task. Sure, you can get a Thuban because you MIGHT run FSX every BLUE moon but that does not justify its 6-core 125watt TDP purchase over anything. We categorize people on amount of time running a software and what kind of software not theoretical hardware ability.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I was poking fun at the "CS4 is not a real world app" post. It was a joke. When I make a joke people laff. Or not understand the joke.

Darn.

Oh well, guess it's back to the drawing board.