Sign in with
Your question

What motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2010 9:00:49 PM

Processor: AMD Phenom ii x4 965
Graphics Card: Radeon 5850

what motherboard do i want so that that i could someday add another 5850 in radeon, i want to put in 4 GB of ram (1600) and it would be great to have the ability to put another 4 gb in eventually, as well as put in up to 3 or 4 harddrives, usb 3.0 would be cool but not necessary.

This is my first home built computer and I am a bit unsure on what motherboard will do all this for me at a decent price. All will be put into an Antec 902 if that is possible (too small for crossfire 5850?)

And finally what RAM do you recommend in this setup or how much? and should I set up the comp for the voltages that I would need for a crossfire 5850 and a few harddrives?

Thank You so much

More about : motherboard

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 9:05:15 PM

Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3 $90. ASRock is Asus' budget board brand. They're really cheap, yet fairly reliable and packed with great features. If the name worries you (and it does some people), the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 is fairly close to it's price.

RAM: G.Skill Eco 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $103. That's pretty much the standard. You'll only need 4 GB.

I don't get what you mean by "set up the computer for the voltages". You might need to elaborate. You shouldn't need to do anything other than just plug everything in.

I would also consider dropping to the X4 955. It's slightly cheaper, but its the same technical chip as the 965, just without a slight factory overclock. You can apply that yourself by just increasing the multiplier in the BIOS slightly. You wouldn't even need to get an aftermarket heatsink.
m
l
August 26, 2010 9:17:19 PM

both of those motherboards will support the 16oo mhz RAM without needing to overclock right?
and the other problem I have is the ability to get the drivers, would these both work when plugged in without updates...

as far as voltage is concerned I was just asking if iI should buy a power supply for all the upgrades I plan in the next year or 2 or just buy one when the time comes...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 9:47:23 PM

You'll need to overclock regardless. The current CPUs don't currently default to RAM speeds above 1333 mhz. You won't need to push much to get it to that speed though.

Everything will work once you plug it in. However, it is HIGHLY advised that you immediately update all the drivers as soon as you get into the OS. Older drivers can cause compatibility issues and newer drivers help improve performance.

Either would be fine. If you already have one that will work, don't get a new one. If you don't have one, buy one that you can grow into. The 5850 can be Crossfired on a decent (i.e. one from Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, SeaSonic or XFX) 650W unit. The number of SATA devices matters very little.
m
l
August 26, 2010 9:52:36 PM

i see, well i guess I will need to figure out how to overclock, i understand what is happening and all but having never done it before I will need to work on it haha. And if i were to buy the 965 would I need to overclock that as well?

sorry Im just making sure I know what I am doing before I start purchasing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 1:01:42 AM

You don't need to overclock, it's just how you get what you buy to perform as much as possible. Overclocking isn't difficult and there are plenty of guides on how to do it.
m
l
!