Status
Not open for further replies.

null2005

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Hey so i have a friend that needs help runing Cod black ops. Everything else is fine but the Cpu he has AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000.
and im an intel man and cannot help because i don't know how the measurements work for AMD. So im wondering what would be a good Amd Cpu for him to buy with good temps. I know the game it self wants an AMD Phenom™ X3 8750, but im not sure if that is a good Cpu for overclocking and other games.

Solution
Hello Null2005,

^Yep thats an AM2 motherboard.^

[EDIT] Sorry, but I see now that the CPU does not meet the minimum system requirements but that does not always mean you cannot run the game. I could run MOH just fine and I was below the minimum. The biggest difference between the two is 1mb of chache and one less core. But I am not an AMD expert and really cant off much more advice without doing alot of poking around the web.

One thing your friend might want to consider Null is that I have heard(I do not own it....Yet, anyways I taking a wait and see approach) that COD Black Ops is full of bugs and not running very well for anyone right now really. Maybe he can wait a week or two and see if they get the game and the severs more polished...

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello Null2005,

^Yep thats an AM2 motherboard.^

[EDIT] Sorry, but I see now that the CPU does not meet the minimum system requirements but that does not always mean you cannot run the game. I could run MOH just fine and I was below the minimum. The biggest difference between the two is 1mb of chache and one less core. But I am not an AMD expert and really cant off much more advice without doing alot of poking around the web.

One thing your friend might want to consider Null is that I have heard(I do not own it....Yet, anyways I taking a wait and see approach) that COD Black Ops is full of bugs and not running very well for anyone right now really. Maybe he can wait a week or two and see if they get the game and the severs more polished and running smoother and then see if he wants to do a upgrade.

Solution

null2005

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Okay thank you so i will tell him that he needs a new motherboard and wait a few weeks to for the game to patch. And now i have another question what kind of motherboard should we be looking at for Amd and does this mean that he has to buy a new Cpu?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
As I said Im not an AMD expert and you may want to wait for ct1615 to get back to you on that one, as he is quite smart and very helpfull around here.

What I can tell you is if he wants to upgrade, like ct1615 said it would be best to save up for a new Mobo+CPU+RAM. It would be a good idea to upgrade to an AM3 board like this one( ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 ) or ( GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 ) and this CPU is very popular and will give nice performance ( AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz ) then pick up some DDR3 dual channel 1333MHz like ( G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK ).

That is a nice AMD system but he will have to look at some parts and decide on his own what fits his budget and the features he wants.

I hope that helps. :)

null2005

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

Thank you i will take a look at this and decide what way to go.

But money is a problem for now. would it be good to buy a heatsink and just overclock the Cpu to like 3Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.