3 questions from a newbie

hi, this newbie has 3 questions about UT:

1. is there any particular input device that optimizes the gameplay?
(joystick, any particular mouse.......)

2. i see that the experienced players in online servers (and godlike bots
too) are able to make particular jumps (like jumping left or right) that i
am not able to make. is there any control that i don't know? or this too
depends on any special input device?

3. Can you suggest me a link in which i can find useful tips about UT?

tnx
Giovanni

Andrew

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:55:39 GMT, "Montag" <inventato@nonesiste.it>
wrote:

>1. is there any particular input device that optimizes the gameplay?
>(joystick, any particular mouse.......)

Good optical mouse and lots of practice.

>2. i see that the experienced players in online servers (and godlike bots
>too) are able to make particular jumps (like jumping left or right) that i
>am not able to make. is there any control that i don't know? or this too
>depends on any special input device?

Double tap left, right, forwards or back.

"Montag" <inventato@nonesiste.it> wrote in message
> hi, this newbie has 3 questions about UT:
>
> 1. is there any particular input device that optimizes the gameplay?
> (joystick, any particular mouse.......)

The best device so far has to be the optical cordED mouse.

- Optical means no need to clean the surface tracking mechanism.
- Corded means you won't have to risk the mouse disconnecting when the battery
dies out.

> 2. i see that the experienced players in online servers (and godlike bots
> too) are able to make particular jumps (like jumping left or right) that i
> am not able to make. is there any control that i don't know? or this too
> depends on any special input device?

All you need to know is:

- Double tap in any direction gives you a quick dodge in that direction. Do it
near a wall and dodge away from it makes you wall jump.
- Double jump - by jumping, then at the highest point of the jump, jump again.

- These "fast jumps" you mentioned are actually a combination of the two above.
That is, dodge then at highest point of dodge press jump. A LOT of people do
this. This double-jump dodge skill is a must-know for pros!

> 3. Can you suggest me a link in which i can find useful tips about UT?

Google.

tnx!

these tips for whose versions of UT are?
because i understood and tried the thing of double tips, but about the rest,
i am not able to do it. nothing happens.. (i have Unreal Tournament)
maybe i am supposed to install any patch?

> tnx!
>
> these tips for whose versions of UT are?
> because i understood and tried the thing of double tips, but about the rest,
> i am not able to do it. nothing happens.. (i have Unreal Tournament)
> maybe i am supposed to install any patch?

Ops sorry, I thought you were talking about UT2004! My mistake.

Well the points I raised still applies up to the one about double taps!

In the original UT is quite basic, just move and double tap. The double tap is
first difficult to get used to but you'll get used to it. Just like double
clicking you're mouse button...that isn't hard is it?

Tim

The best place for newbie's is UT Bible, I went there when UT first came
out. You can even download demo's that show you how to make certain move's
that you may find hard to do. Very helpful.

http://www.ocrana.de/utbible/

Hope this helped.

Tim-a.k.a-{AGUT}ODIN

DB

Montag wrote:
> tnx!
>
> these tips for whose versions of UT are?
> because i understood and tried the thing of double tips, but about the rest,
> i am not able to do it. nothing happens.. (i have Unreal Tournament)
> maybe i am supposed to install any patch?

You won't see yourself actually do it but other will. It'll seem like a
quick side leap.

kaito_1000

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Montag wrote:
> 1. is there any particular input device that optimizes the gameplay?
> (joystick, any particular mouse.......)

Personal choice. I prefer optical mice, but mostly because I'm a lazy
ah heck who hates cleaning them.

> 2. i see that the experienced players in online servers (and godlike bots
> too) are able to make particular jumps (like jumping left or right) that i
> am not able to make. is there any control that i don't know? or this too
> depends on any special input device?

Dodging. Double-tap a direction key to dodge in that direction.
Forward-tapping results in a forward roll that will be seen by others,
but not by you (unless you're a freak who's playing with "behindview 1"
third-person).

Note that dodging has to be enabled in prefs.

Ut Bible: http://www.ocrana.de/utbible/menu.htm

Truffs - nice community, especially newbie friendly: http://www.truff.net/

--
Flash