Computer restarts itself when running graphics intensive programs

ezrude25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hi all,
I'm using an off-the-shelf Gateway FX6800 and lately my Computer will restart when I do anything more graphics intesive after a few minutes. It just shuts off and auto-restarts, but during the restart it usually can't even get to the Windows login screen and then it auto-restarts again. This sounds like an overheating issue to me, but I can't find the source of the overheating. I downloaded SpeedFan and it's telling me that my "IT8720F" temperature is stable at 97C without running any complicated programs (Just firefox). I also downloaded GPU-Z and it's telling me that my graphics card temp is around 60C so I don't think that it is the issue.
I'm not sure where the "IT8720F" temp. is, but it sounds like that's the issue. Does anyone know where I can find it, and what if anything I can do to address this issue? I've tried spraying the whole computer with compressed air, but that hasn't helped at all.

Thank you so much, I'm out of ideas!

So with Speedfan are you getting any specific CPU temps or is the ITF the motherboard/north-south bridge temp? I agree though that it sounds like an overheating issue. Until you can pinpoint the issue, your best bet would be to clean out the case with a can of air to remove dust and such and to look for any obvious signs. Perhaps the heat sink/CPU cooler has become dislodged over the CPU?

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Stable at 97C is not good.
IT8720F is the device that controls the hardware monitoring I believe. This 97C is one of the system components or a CPU core.

Something is up.
Have you done as buwish suggested and dusted out the PC?

I agree with checking if the cooler is attached properly Intel HSF's have been known to wiggle themselves lose

ezrude25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hi all,
Thanks for the responses so far!
Speedfan is reporting three temperatures listed as IT8720F (temp1, temp2, and temp3), but I don't know which corresponds to what; the labeling on speedfan isn't very helpful (or maybe I just don't kno where to look). temp1 is the one that's near 100C.
I've tried cleaning out the case with compressed air (no effect), and I've tried retightening the heat sink down over the CPU, which also didn't work :(.

I'm thinking of trying to remove and reapply some of the thermal compound between the heat sink and the CPU - not sure if this will help though.