480M vs 5870 Mobility
I am looking into purchasing a gaming laptop as I will be away from my desktop for a year or so. I am doing my research but I also wanted some input from you guys. As far as graphics should I go for Nvidia's 480M or ATI's 5870 Mobility graphics? Thanks in advance.
Well the 480m is the a better card than the 5870. So if they're the same price... its clearly the 480m.
If I was going ot buy a laptop to use for a year straight of gaming (in a reasonable price range) Id definately reccomend the Asus G73- Runs fast and cool all the time, and has an amazing keyboard and touchpad
- Best answer
I'm actually having a hard time trying to decide between that ASUS and this Sager:
Sager NP8690 (Built on Clevo W860CU) Custom Gaming Laptop
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Intel® Core™ i7-740QM, 1.73-2.93GHz, (45nm, 6MB L3 cache)
- -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
- ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5870 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
- No Video Adapter
- ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (Requires 64-Bit to utilize Full 4GB)
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- No Back Up Software
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless A/B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- 11.1V Smart Li-Polymer battery pack 3800mAh, 42.18Wh
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- No External Keyboard or Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs
- No Xotic PC Gear
for $1443.59 + $28 shipping + $30 for Win 7
The differences I see are: 720QM vs 740QM, 8GB vs 4GB, 17 vs 15.6 inches and the ASUS comes with an OS. oh and lost of support for ASUS vs Sager, a brand I have never heard of.
Which would you pick?
Sager is sort of like alienware... but not as popular. basically make gaming computers.
Well the asus is better for teh same price. I mean its a 17" (sager 15") - and has 8gb of RAM (which would be like a $200 option to go from 4gb to 8gb) - this double ram and bigger screen are WAY better than a 740 vs a 720. You wont even notice that difference.
Plus I can personally say teh Asus G73's are amazing fit and finish. Sure its bulky, but its built like a tank (very sturdy and great fit/finish) - and the keyboard and touchpad are phenominal. I'd absolutely without a doubt pick the Asus. Runs ultra quiet and cool as well... two thigns very important if you're going to game on a laptop for extended periods