Upgrade PSu on Acer X1301 ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I have an Acer Aspire X1301-u9052. I want to upgrade my 521mb graphic card into an Asus EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670. But the problem is the new graphic card require PSU at minium is 440 Watt , and mine is just 220 Watt. Anyone know how can i upgrade my PSU. My case is small so there are not much PSU that i can choise. Can anyone give me a product to try???

Solution
Nope, I meant the 6 screws that secure your mobo to the case. I think that mobo is a spinoff from mATX (it's shorter) but they kept some of the standard mounting holes.

http://i.imgur.com/MXMU8.jpg

In this pic you can see the 6 screws, 3 on each side. The first one is on top left side, beneath it it's the second one next to the battery and RAM and the last one on the bottom left side.

You should have 6.1" between the first and the second, 2.85" from 2 to 3.

On the right side the first one is 0.9" lower than the first one on the left side, the rest are aligned with the ones on the left.

The distance between the two rows from the left and from the right is 6.45".

5QZwS.jpg

If that measurements are the same...

That PSU is really blurry I cant really tell if it is an OEM design made to fit in that case only, or if it is flex ATX PSU

Is it like this?
supply-flex-atx-power-supply-omega.jpg

the 5670 does not require 400w, its just reccommended to use a 400w PSU. They give this reccommendation to account for poor quality psu's that label their products incorrectly or as a peak power rating. http://www.techspot.com/review/240-ati-radeon-hd-5670/page9.html you can see that its max is just under 250 watts at the wall for the full system. a power supply that can deliver 300w continuous power should be fine.

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I posted another video so you can take a look at my PSU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79j4I21jaH0
following is some information on the PSU which is in English ( some is Chinese) that i could read.
Model : DPS-220DUB A, REV:07F
INPUT: 100-127V~/6A
220-240V~/3A
50-60Hz
OUTPUT: CONTINUE POWER 220W
@iam2thecrowe: i dont know that we can use it with lesser power supply. Can i use the 5670 with the PSu at 300W??Because it doesnt say recommended , it's was minimum required...
This is the link for the new graphic card. pretty cheap with 1G memory and DDR5: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5648419&sku=A455-5670&srkey=Asus%20Radeon%20HD%205670

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
i used some software to find out my BIos ID and motherbaord.
here is the information i got:
BIOS Type: Unknown
BIOS Date: August 28th 2009
BIOS ID: P01-A0-None
BIOS OEM: P01-A0
Chipset: AMD 1200 rev 0
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: Acer
Motherboard: Aspire X1301
Here is result from another program.:

Operating System System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Acer Aspire X1301
System Serial Number: PTSCM0200894306A373000
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.70 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 215
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Acer WMCP78M
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD P01-A0 08/28/2009
Drives Memory Modules c,d
735.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
389.81 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]

Generic- Compact Flash USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Multiple Flash Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Samsung SAMSUNG Android USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Samsung SAMSUNG Android USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (750.15 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 6VP172ZQ, SMART Status: Healthy 4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hey _Aries_ , after doing alot of searching I really couldnt come up with a PSU to match the one you have in your PC currently without knowing the name of the form factor, its is quite difficult.

I have come across this: Diablotek PHD Series PHD380M 380W Micro ATX Power Supply, which may fit with its measurements of 4.8" x 3.8" x 2.5" vs 6.89" x 3.39" x 2.56" of the PSU you have now. This PSU will give you 160w more to power a nice video card for you.

Now the only questions are will the screw holes on this PSU match where they are on your case, which I cannot answer without knowing what the form factor is. And how much room do you have around you PCI-E slot to fit in a new GPU card?

If you can try to measure for how much room you have to fit a new PSU in your case and check and see if the PSU I mentioned above will fit. Also measure how much extra space you have around you PCI-E slot and post the measurments. One other thing, if you have another standard style PSU availible to you, check and see if the mounting holes for the screws match, this will be very helpfull to know

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Here is a GPU I found that will most likely fit into the space you have in your case, I is slightly less powerfull than the one you linked to, but it is quite a bit cheaper @$55 and comes with a VERY NICE free 8GB flash drive. SAPPHIRE 100293DP Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit. That is the fastest ATI low-profile card I can locate.

You may also want to take a look at these, both the same specs as the one you link to but both are cheaper and slimmer than it also.
XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5
ASUS EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

Personally I would recommend the XFX.

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Thank alot for your help. I checked my PSU. This is form factor, it's not the exactly number but it's very close.
it's about 3.8in x 2.1in x 8.8in (this long side , i still have about 2.3in free space so it can be up to 10in).
This GPU has the same shape with mine. ASUS EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670 1G . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121362&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3899435&SID=skim1402X558040
If i used this one the GPU'sfan will face with my case'top roof.
my case have about 1in free space for the side that face the top roof and about 2in free space for other side.
This is another video so you can take a look at me GPU.The reason i put my finger in there is so you can know the distance between case's top roof and the GPU. Each of my knuckles is about an inch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XHMj2W4pdc
It's ok if the GPU is a little bit higher my old GPU because i can take out the side case's shield( i dont what it's called).
IS THERE ANY KIND OF POWER SUPPLY THAT YOU CAN USED IT OUT SIDE FROM CASE . LIKE THE ONE THAT WILL SAVE POWER WHICH HELPS YOUR COMPUTER RUN MORE ABOUT 30S TO SHUTDOWN IF YOU GET POWER CUT???LIKE AN EXTENDER POWER??

Here is a low profile 5670 that willl fit. its HSF is kind big though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127523&cm_re=5670-_-14-127-523-_-Product

IS THERE ANY KIND OF POWER SUPPLY THAT YOU CAN USED IT OUT SIDE FROM CASE . LIKE THE ONE THAT WILL SAVE POWER WHICH HELPS YOUR COMPUTER RUN MORE ABOUT 30S TO SHUTDOWN IF YOU GET POWER CUT???LIKE AN EXTENDER POWER??
That would be a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) which has batteries which would allow the system to run for a few minutes upon a power loss.

Your PSU sounds like a flex ATX PSU, maybe TFX, I am not really sure.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I'll answer this one first since I know what your talking about right of hand. These are called UPS(Uninterruptible Power Supply) these are like a battery for your PC so to speak, what you do is plug your PC's own PSU into them and then in-turn plug the UPS into the wall. The purpose of these are to protect your PC from a power outage so you can contiune to finish your work/save it and shut the PC down safely or use the PC for a short time while you do not have power. Instead of having your PC just lose all power and you lose what you were working on.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Ok, I am still unsure of what PSU will be able to work in your case without doing more research with the dimensions you listed, but I can give you my thoughts on the GPU. From watching your video you have posted it seem that you have very little space between the top of the case and your GPU, it is kind of hard to tell how much clearance you have. But with the ASUS EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670 it seems to me the fan will be too tall:
34eq3v9.jpg
ASUS

So I am going to stick to my suggestion of the: XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 It has the same specs as the Asus, it is $10 cheaper right now, it is slimmer than the ASUS, and you get a lifetime warranty rather than 3-year.
nyu1qf.jpg
XFX

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
OK, thanks i got everything i need with the GPU. I just found out that i still have my warranty on my pc. I think i will came to ask the Acer's customer service. Anyway , thank guys. You guys helped me alot.

Problem is he has a low profile case, those cards will stick out 1-2 inches, he wont be able to screw it in so they will only be held in my the motherboard PCI-Express connector. So if he trys to plug in a cable into the graphics card slot he could accidently disconnect or loosen the the pins from the motherboard causing a short which could damage either the VGA, motherboard, or PSU.

Edit: I see you have sorted out the problem yourself, best of luck.

The best thing would be to take out everything and put it into a new case and the PSU/GPU problem is solved, you can get anything and cheaper. In order to do that we need to know what form factor is your motherboard.

Anyway, ATX is 12 × 9.6 in (305 × 244 mm)
mATX (that's probably what you have) is 9.6 × 9.6 in.

Is this your mobo?
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=978&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=20&LanID=0

Thew next best is to get a PSU that fits in your case or put it outside and a single slot low profile video card but I suggest changing the case.

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah, i know my case is small, and it's a big trouble for upgrade. My friend told me that there is not an official way to upgrade my GPU and PSU. Another friend said that if i want to upgrade it , i need to do it in the unofficial way.Like the PSU will stay out side the case but still work as an official PSU.My friend he had a thing like a usb cable which used for a VGA. He plug his VGA into it and then plug that cable into the motherboard. It worked perfectly , except that he needs to keep it clean from the dirt. His case is opened .That why i posted here and looking for a way upgrade my case. i'm gonna come to Acer's customer service tomorrow. Guess that if they say no , then i need to buy a new PC.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
---[EDIT/UPDATE]--- Well I was typing this up while you guys posted those last two comments, I never considered changing the case since that wasnt the question asked but it is a good solution to the problem I guess. Well, I hope I didnt just do all those hours of searching and researching for nothing. :cry: But it sure looks like I did, now Im sad :(

Alright _Aries_ ,

I think I have this all figured out for you now. Far as I know the PSU in you PC is called a TFX form factor or Mini ITX IDK, as I suspected but I didnt want to throw out any guesses, and snipergod87 also suggested it could be TFX.

So I put your PC specs into Antec Power Supply Calculator and came up with 263w to power you PC, thats with the new GPU. I gave you the link to the calculator so you can check this yourself also.

When it comes to the TFX or Mini ITX form factor PSU's they seem to not exceed a 300w limit, so I have found this one: SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W on Newegg.com that should fit your needs as long as its the right for factor and not Mini ITX instead, but IDK, and you dont add anymore componets to your PC, that is after your video card of course. Seasonic is the TOP manufacture of PSU's so you do not have to worry about quality, it also is a 80+ bronze rated PSU so you will have good power efficiency.

As for your video card, just to say it again, I recommend you get this, unless as mosox says its low-profile then forget about this card: XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB You have unitl Nov. 30th to still qualify for the MIR.

Well I guess that does it, I hope that answers the questions you had. If you have any other concerns about what I have covered just let me know. :)

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

Thank for this. I think this will work better than think about what PSU and VGA will fit my case.
the motherboard that you gave in the link wasn't look like mine.
I will check my motherboard and post it's form factor on.

_Aries_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
i just found out how to post picture into my post. I take some pictures and post on here, hopre it will help you guys to find out about my motherboard. ( i can't measure the exactly about my mobo because the cd-room is blocking my view. i measured it and they are about 10in x 8in.And about the expansion slots : there is just one slot for the VGA, and another slot for some thing that small. This SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W will not fit my case, because it's measure is 6.9" x 3.3" x 2.8" ( mine is 8.8"x3.8"x2.1")

Here is some picture:
In right top is my VGA and on it's right side is two expansion slot ( one for VGA and one for that small black thing)
DSC02656.jpg

This is my PSU, if you could zoom in then you can read the information on it.
DSC02659.jpg

DSC02662.jpg

DSC02663.jpg

DSC02664.jpg

DSC02665.jpg

DSC02666.jpg

This is my damn Cd-room which the RAm is under it and this Cd-room also block me from taking the ram out.
DSC02669.jpg

DSC02670.jpg

I'm searching the exactly model of my mobo now so ill post it when i found out.

Edit: I think im sure my mobo form factor is Mini ITX ( not exactly the same with the mobo i see on this websites http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Model.aspx?CategoryID=1&TypeID=72&MenuID=15&childid=M_7&LanID=0) but they have same side.

Status
Not open for further replies.