Is it possible my GPU damaged my Wireless PCI Card?

amplex007

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi, I bought a Zonet 802.11N Wireless PCI Adapter ZEW1642 for my pc anout six months ago. Unfortunately, things are a little cramped inside my case, so I had to place it in the PCI slot directly below my ATI Radeon HD 4830 GPU. The Wireless card is pretty slim, certainly not blocking the GPU fan, but its still getting a pretty heavy blast of hot air.

So anyways, about a month ago I started having issues with the wireless card. Sometimes it decides not to work at all, sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it just runs horribly slow. I have eight wireless devices on my network, and this is the only one that's had a problem, so I'm pretty sure I've ruled out problems with my router. After testing a usb wireless adaptor on my pc (which worked fine) I figured that the problem must be with the Zonet wireless card.

Now unfortunately Zonet's customer service wasn't so good. A half-asleep guy from Taiwan called me and told me to just return the card. No questions, no troubleshooting, just told me to return it. That would be great except I don't have the receipt and I don't want to pay for shipping on a cheap $25 wireless card.

So to get to my original question, do you think having the wireless card beneath the GPU ruined it because of the constant heat, or is it more likely that it was some sort of hardware failure?

Thanks for your help!

Helltech

Distinguished

+1, I think your problems lies in, as you said "don't want to pay for shipping on a cheap $25 wireless card". It probably just went bad, being cheap and all.

TRENDING THREADS