Gateway FX6840-03E or Dell 7100-Budget Gaming PC!

parth95

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hey!
I am planning on buying a gaming PC for under $1,000 give or take a little.
My mom strictly said NO for building my own so please dont recommend me that.
I have customized the perfect Dell PC i could think of. The only thing is that I dont mind a cheaper CPU, but I DO want the 5870 graphic card!
I dont see why I need more than 4GB, and I think 8GB is a waste!
Anyways here is my build:

PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD AMD Phenom™ II X6 1035T + ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
SOUND CARD THX® TruStudio PC™
WIRELESS Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card
KEYBOARD Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
MOUSE Dell Laser Mouse

And here is the gateway:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+FX6840-03e+Desktop+%26+20%22+LCD+Monitor+Package/9999133000050024.p?id=pcmprd133000050024&skuId=9999133000050024&childSku=9974337&count=1
I posted the link because the spec sheet is messed up if I copy and paste.

Here is the link to the Dell computer,so then you can customize and recommend to me:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-7100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-7100&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~studio-xps-7100-cto2~~

Gateway FX6840-03E
Pros:I can pick up from store, free monitor, more RAM, Cooler case, bigger PSU, better CPU
Cons: Dont need the extra RAM and good CPU, More expensive, not as good graphic card, no WIFI, Gateway customer support

Dell 7100
Pros:Great CPU, Good Price, WiFi, Better GPU, Dell customer support
Cons:470W PSU..................................Less RAM? Not as good CPU? cant think of any actually!

Yes i am favoring the Dell due to the fact that I like how I customized it, it has WIFI, and the 5870 graphic card is twice as good as the 5770!
If you can think of a better prebuilt or customizable name brand PC, please tell me, but its gotta be around these specs, and have a video card atleast 5770.
Please give me feedback that is helpful, thanks!

parth95

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Dell customer support is 50-50 at best but that cam pertain to a lot of places.
Go with the Dell, I understand moms...
And if and when something goes wrong, you can say that you told me to buy a prebuilt.. lol
I wouldn't worry about the less RAM, you can always upgrade at a later time and you're good for right now.
I'm sure you can upgrade that cpu now or later, try contacting Dell or where you will buy from and ask.

Thanks!
I am really happy that you saw this thread and replied, since there are A LOT of threads after mine, like someone posted a thread like 5 minutes after mine! haha

Thanks for understanding. A mom is like a boulder(in pushing the limit-wise)
So yea, i cant go homebuilt or I doubt im gonna get to upgrade the RAM like you said. I personally think that the 4GB is plenty as I saw in this one comparison thing. And, I dont really know if the CPU is good...

I just wanna play GAMES!!! like Crysis series(maybe not, but i say this so you understand the fact that I need a good graphic card) and Bad company battlefild 2, and other cool games ......

Can you give me a reason why you said go with Dell? Besides customer service.

And i am posting from a dell inspiron 1526(copy of 1525 but a AMD model, purchased at best buy)
And, the customer support of Dell was great for me. I havent ever called, but the computer chat thing is great. When two power supply cords stoped charging, they replaced it no questions asked! So yea your right 50/50, it was good for me, but maybe not for others

OK, so no gateway because I think it is a no good brand because you can ask anybody, the most famous brand would be dell or HP. And HP dont give good options for graphic cards, so bye to HP! Dell is my only option, unless someone can point me in the direction of another brand that can do this for me.

If you dont wanna read all of that because i wrote too much then here(i know i'd be too lazy to read all of that! haha):
Why would you pick the Dell 7100 instead of the gateway?
Is there any other model/brand that you wanna recommend to me? Because I feel that Dell is not the only option, but the only option that I know of.
How is the build that I posted? Here it is again if you want it:

PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD AMD Phenom™ II X6 1035T + ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
SOUND CARD THX® TruStudio PC™
WIRELESS Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card
KEYBOARD Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
MOUSE Dell Laser Mouse

How is the processor? Is it good? That is the cheapest I can get it with that specific graphic card.
THANKS!!!!!!

parth95

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Haha....i wish the dell had some cool lights.
I saw the gateway in the store. What I hate is that everything is hidden, but i guess that is a plus to some.
I just hope that the Dell is a good purchase