HD video plays slow...help

w_angad

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
When i play a 1080p video or even a 720p video my hard disk led light is always on and also the video lags a lot. but when i play the same video on a integrated video graphics card its all smooth and fine.
i have a intel 865gbf motherboard with a max 95mb graphics card and a dedicated 256mb geforce6600 nvidia graphics card and a 512mb ram

Timop

Distinguished
Its your hardware, any integrated video on the market will perform better than your 6600GT in terms of video, and your CPU probably isnt picking up either.

Your specs are simply too low to play HD videos, you still have a P4 right?

w_angad

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

yup i have a p4 3.0 HT. but i dont understand even though the integrated memory is just at a max of 98 mb and the dedicated one at 256 why would the later give a lag....and trust me HD vids play SMOOTH with the integrated graphics...

w_angad

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
actually i kinda figured the problem out. coz when i play the 1080 files on my ide hard disk it plays very very fine (and same when playing from a pendrive)... but when i play with the sata thats when it lags...now this happens on both the sata hard disk i have and both are brand new...further the sata wont give a lag when on the integrated card...

6600GT should be faster than intergrated by quite a bit. When you say SATA do you mean an internal drive on SATA ports or do you mean external USB drives? It's a bit confusing why you say the onboard video plays video smoother.

Up your RAM to at least 1 gig also, 512 is too low to run video well. 2 gig would be ideal.

Timop

Distinguished
Even-though the 6600GT is faster power wise, its not until after the 8600GT that GPUs supported hardware acceleration (Purevideo HD/UVD2) of HD videos, and with an slow CPU like the P4, software decoding is bound to be laggy.

So say with an integrated 8200/HD3200, the GPU might be much slower than your 6600GT, but it is splitting the effort required by the CPU to decode HD, while your 6600GT might be alot more powerful(it isnt really) it isnt helping at all and the P4 is forced to do all the work.

w_angad

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
firstly thank you all for sharing your solutions...and yes sir your theory may be right but like i said why would it play on a basic pendrive or even the ide hard disk..in fact i am playing a 1080p file right now without a bit of lag while i type and no ram will not solve my purpose coz i already have 250mb free memory(i.e even after playing high end vids) ...and by sata i ment internal hard disk....

w_angad

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
in fact 3.... 1 ide and 2 sata...wats worse is tht dspite the ide being 6yrs old and having a cache of 2mb plays the vids without a prob...but the sata (brand new bought last week) are causing the lag when i play the video from them....

w_angad

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
i did that i have a seagate sata and a samsung sata...the seagate is giving more probs than the samsung(the led is almost always on) while the samsung though not doing as well as the ide but ya gives less lag and less led blinking(not to say it does not at all)...wats confusing me is why would it run so well on the ide which is prob even fragmented into a mil pieces...

w_angad

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
i did the latest firmware upgradation and its a 7200.12.... btw a poor sata controller was my guess too but i was proved wrong when it played smooth on the integrated graphics...okay now even if we assume the sata ports dont get along with my agp graphics slot (oh yes i have a agp not a pcie...my comps old) then should i buy a external port which is in the market...would that work....

GamersAreTheBest

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
same problem here , i have 2 sata wd internal drives and on the both drives a 1080p or 720p video is a bit laggy but in my 4 year old ide wd the video plays way better and smoother . These were both tested on a 9600 gt .
sata drive specs
16 mb cache
500 gb
7200 rpm
caviar blue

ide
2 mb cache
160 gb
7200 rpm
-

u know there is a saying that "old is gold" , well i guess thats true !!!