Which is better athlon II x4 or phenom II x2

harusame

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
to all experts out there....
im planning to build a rig and im choosing between this two processor

ATHLON II X4 635 2.9ghz or PHENOM II x2 555 BE........

and pls give me some good but affordable motherboard...
my rig is for online gaming and surfing only...
so pls help me... thanks experts

Solution

A quick look at Tom's best gaming CPU hierarchy chart suggests that the Phenom II X3, Athlon II X4, Athlon II X3 and also the Intel core i3 processors are rated better compared to the Phenom II X2.. Thus, bearing a similar price tag, the Athlon II X4 is the better choice.. To be noted is that even the Athlon II X3 445 will suit your usage profile adequately giving you a little extra savings to invest towards a better motherboard or ram or video card etc..
just compromise between the two, with the correct motherboard (ddr3) you can always upgrade chip at a later time:
AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition
Core Heka
No.Core 3
Frequency 3000 MHz
L1 cache 64 KB + 64 KB
L2 cache 512 KB
L3 cache 6072 KB
Socket Socket AM2+/AM3
Technology 45 nm
FSB 200 MHz
HT 1800 MHz
Voltage 1,15-1,425V
Power 95 W
Oem HDZ740WFK3DGI
Steep C2
Max. temp. 73
Date 0000-00-00

http://www.cpu-data.info/index.php?grp=HDZ740WFK3DGI&gr=-1
I concur

Spend the money on the right AM3 board with ACC, whats the budget?

Get the 555 for pennies and have a go at unlocking it.

If it doesn't unlock OC the hell out of the 555 and upgrade later.

If your lucky you'll get the good board and end up with a very cheap triple or quad.

If the emphasis is on spending on the board for now then going for the Athlon II X3 445 will be my recommended option.. I personaly would not suggest to rely on the core unlocking feature.. If getting a Phenom II processor is somewhat more tempting then listen up to Malmental's recommendation and go for the X3 740 BE..

Cache to put it simply is the on-chip memory dedicated to the cpu.
L1 closest to cpu and thereby fastest and also smallest
L2 second fastest and can be substatially larger
L3 farthest from chip and can be large
It is important when comparing two processors of similar archictecture and speed to use cache as a deciding factor.
If one processor is signifactly faster though than that outweighs the cache difference (ie. 3.0 L2 2mb > 2.6 L2 6mb).
Also L2 is more important than L3 (ie 3.0 L2 6mb with no L3 > 3.0 L2 2mb L3 12mb)
Really the Phenom II is a newer more sophisticated arch. (more instruction sets + plus better faster memory addressing = more done per clock cycle)
I am more of an Intel guy so AMD guys could explain it better.

BTW you have the best of the best experts on Tom's helping you.
Enzo,Hellstorm,Malmental, Emperus,Iam2theCrowe etc are awesome.
Listen up they will take you to school...

Close, but that's the Athlon 64 vs Phenom II or phenom vs phenom II. The new Athlon II is a phenom II with the L3 cache not included. same arch. just no L3 cache.

I should have asked this before:
What kind of online gaming? Flash games? or games like MW2? This makes a huge difference as to the impact of the CPU. As does knowing what is in the rest of the computer. What's the rest of your planned system?

BTW you have the best of the best experts on Tom's helping you.
Enzo,Hellstorm,Malmental, Emperus,Iam2theCrowe etc are awesome.
Listen up they will take you to school...

This is true, I am no expert and experts are usually right. I just know what I know through personal experience. :D

Another take on things isn't always a bad thing, hopefully different views will help you in your decision. [:bohleyk:1]

Hey no insult intended and there was an ETC there by the way to include everybody.
What do I know I spend most of my time fixing P4 junk computers for refurb or repairing for customers
Sigh Sob Sob
I am happy if I run across a PentD to fix
If i have to install another copy of XP Pro I am going to electrocute myselff with a 12v rail!
I need better customers or a new line of work.

[:bohleyk:1] ^ No offence taken at all.

I just thought there was a lot of different input and was trying to help this dude with the decision making.

I'm sure your customers appriciate what you do, that piece of junk could be their pride and joy.

Stay sain Brother. :pt1cable:

I like what i do but sometimes it get monotonous.
Just got back a HP Evo for the third virus removal in one year.
I told them what to do and what to avoid.
Users never listen...good for me
Removing Vundo trojan virus just isnt as exciting as it used to be.
One good thing about Vundo and Koobface they put food on my table.
I just for once want somebody to hire me to build them an I7!!!

"I'm sure your customers appriciate what you do, that piece of junk could be their pride and joy."

^1 very true
Just had a customer tell me today that I was the best and she would never take her computer to anybody else
Kinda gives that warm fuzzy feeling ya know

Ok we were straying off topic...
To the OP this is the best post in this thread IMO

Agreed
Going to rent a cabin in the mountains for the weekend
during my daughter's holiday break
Though of course I will have wireless internet there...
I do love what i do I was just trying to be funny.
I used to work 70 hour weeks as a store manager (babysitter essentially for the kids (associates)) for RadioShack (electronics store) now
I make my own hours and work from home.
Though trying to work from home with a 9 year old girl stomping around can be a pain! LOL

harusame

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
to all:
sir thank you for the reply..... so many reply.... i dont even understand the reply of others....

so last question.... athlon II x4 OR phenom II x2????????

i use it for online play like CABAL, watching youtube video, and just for surfing.....
or maybe i go withh intel core i3 2.9ghz..... hehehehe... what do think

sorry thanks

A quick look at Tom's best gaming CPU hierarchy chart suggests that the Phenom II X3, Athlon II X4, Athlon II X3 and also the Intel core i3 processors are rated better compared to the Phenom II X2.. Thus, bearing a similar price tag, the Athlon II X4 is the better choice.. To be noted is that even the Athlon II X3 445 will suit your usage profile adequately giving you a little extra savings to invest towards a better motherboard or ram or video card etc..

Solution

harusame

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
second question sir....
phenom IIx2 555 BE or intel core I3 530

and going to use this board for i3 Asus P7H55-M LX H55... what do you think sir.... thank you so much