Sign in with
Your question

New Comp Freezing issues.

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2010 2:14:30 AM

Hello. I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me a hand with this. I recently had a new system put together, and while its been reliable for the most part, it has had the occasional issue. The main one I seem to be getting is just a random freeze up. not necessarily during anything particular. Whenever I reboot the computer, and check the system logs, I always see the same error causing it:

The DES2 Service for Energy Saving. service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I cant find any info online about someone having the same issue. My best guess is it has something to do with the MOBO and the Dynamic Energy Saver system on it. The Mobo is a Gigabyte P55-USB3. I dont have the Dynamic Eneergy Saver utility installed, so I really dont know how to go about just maybe disabling the service all together. Any info someone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

More about : comp freezing issues

August 27, 2010 12:45:13 PM

Hello

Please post your complete system specifications, including PSU model and wattage.

If the Dynamic Energy Saver is similar to the Cool N Quiet my Gigabyte board features, then you could go to your bios and disable it, that may solve the problem. It could also be hiding somewhere in the startup menu so type 'msconfig' in Start and disable it if you want.

Other than that, you could actually install the software related to the service and see if the freezing goes away.

There are many other possibilities, although, it may be a dying or insufficient PSU, unstable overclock settings, bad RAM, bad GPU and overheating, so if you could post your system temperatures and RAM voltages/timings that may help too.

Cheers

.C.
m
l
August 27, 2010 1:07:16 PM

Mm... it seems I was confusing DES with other software, I just found the CD where it came along with some drivers of my MoBo. Sorry, my bad.

Well, I can tell you I used it for some time last year and found no specific problems It names itself EasySaver, so maybe you have it installed and missed it, you can use CCleaner to get rid of it.

Are you running Windows 7? If so change your Power Options plan to High Performance as some PC's can crash if they go in sleep mode under Win 7.

.C.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2010 5:07:33 AM

I am running Windows 7, but the power option is already set to High Performance. Here's a breakdown of what my system consists of.

Gigabyte P55-USB3 Mobo
Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield processor
4 GB (2x2GB Sticks) Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair 650TX 650 Watt PSU
XFX Radeon HD 4890 GPU

I'm fairly new to system building, and I had a lot of help getting this one up and running, so some of this is still slightly over my head. If you could point me in the right direction of where to find the RAM voltages/timings, I'll gladly post them up to.

I don't know if it might help shed some light on things, but I've also had several blue screens, the most common being the Bad Pool Header, but tonight I also received one that said "IRQL Not Less or Equal"

Thanks for your help, and any more you can give me.
m
l
August 28, 2010 9:21:30 AM

To see your memory voltages download and use CPUID and check the SPD tab, there you should find all the info on your memory modules.

To check temperatures download and use HWMonitor, it will display a complete tab of them including fan speed and other goodies.

OK, bluescreens are good or at least better than sudden shut downs, look for a program called WhoCrashed and get the home version, it will automatically interprete the minidumps generated by Windows and may help pointing the culprit.

Your BSOD's seem to be driver related as far as Google say. It's always advisable to do a fresh reinstall of video/sound drivers using Driver Sweeper in safe mode, if you have time you may try that.

Cheers

.C.
m
l
August 29, 2010 5:45:27 PM

Sorry it's taken me a bit to respond, I was pretty busy yesterday. Checked out the timing/voltages on my RAM, and what I can tell it was running at 9,9,9,24 at 1.5v. The one thing I did find out, after doing some research on my exact RAM, is that MOBO's have a tendency to pick them up at 1333mHz by default, when they're supposed to be 1600mHz. I read some reviews on Newegg (where I purchased it) that some people we're getting random BSOD's with the RAM at the MOBO's default, and it fixed it when they went in and manually set it at 1600mHz. I've went in and done that, and I'll see if it makes they system more stable.

I've also downloaed CCLeaner and WhoCrashed like you suggested. Unfortunately, like an idiot, I had already ran CCleaner and cleaned out the dumps before I downloaded WhoCrashed, so there was nothign there for it to analzye. I also haven't had a BSOD since I've done it, so I haven't had a chance to run it yet.

I'm hoping that the issue was the memory frequency, and that this fixes things. However, if something happens again after this, I'll be sure to post up on here what I've found out.
m
l
August 29, 2010 8:20:07 PM

OK, some new info....

I finally had some time today to just sit at the computer and see what I can figure out. While the memory settings may or may not have fixed the BSOD issues (haven't really had them set long enough to know, since the BSOD's are so random), it certainly did not fix the freezing issue.

What I did find out, however, is how to make it lock up basically on command. I downloaded Prime95 to run some stress testing. I noticed that running a test with ONE worker (whatever that means) the comp handled just fine. But as soon as I did anything with MORE than one, it would freeze almost immediately.

I did a little bit of observing with the HW Monitor utility from Gigabyte. One thing I noticed was my system temp was in the red, so I turned the 3-way fan up to high instead of medium. This will probably be a simple matter of rearranging where I have the computer sitting into an area with better airflow. After this, i left the monitor running while I ran a one thread Prime96 test, and I noticed the CPU temp jump into the red. This initially led me to believe it's a problem with the CPU overheating. Th eonly confusing thing is, Gigabytes default "redline" for CPU temp is only 40 C, and everything I read said a core i5 could run much hotter than that. The other odd thing is the HW Monitor is showing my PSU fan at 0 RPM, but from what I've read that can be quite common if the fan simply runs slower than what the monitor recognizes.

So, thinking that it MIGHT be an overheating issue, I went into the BIOS and changed the smart fan control. I disabled it, allowing the fan to constantly run at 100%. I saved the changed, and booted up the computer again. However, I ran into a whole new problem. At this point, for some reason, the computer wouldn't even let me boot windows up. It would get to the "Windows Error Recovery Screen" where I would have to choose how to start windows, and it would lock up. I restarted the computer, and this happened multiple times without fail. Seeing as how the only thing I had changed was the CPU fan setting, I went back into the BIOS and set it back to auto. This time I was able to restart the computer with no problem.

This is leading me to believe that the problem is a faulty PSU. In my mind, I'm thinking that a fan at 100% is going to draw more power then one that normally runs less. And, more Prime95 threads are going to draw more power, hence why it locks up when I run more than one. I wanted to monitor the voltage when i ran more than one, but the comp locks up so fast I cant. Is my logic in thinking this is the PSU sound?
m
l
August 31, 2010 2:33:08 PM

Hi

Most CPUs should hit 70 degrees to be in trouble, the threshold of your particular CPU is 72.7 and if it ever gets there I think the MoBo will start squealing and beeping to warn you.

Your PSU theory sounds logical to me, as usually more performance draws more power and produces more heat.

Strange is the fact that you have a Corsair which seems to be the apex PSU of everyone in the forums.

Well, as I see it you have these options now, one is to take out the graphics card and run stress tests on the rig, if it does work with no crashes/freezings, then it means the PSU is not providing enough juice for the GPU and or may be dying.

Another one is to get a similar or superior PSU, maybe you can RMA the one you have if you it's still covered by the warranty period, and use the PC for some days.

Finally you can use a multimeter or a PSU tester to measure the PSU's voltages, this is said to be the best option to check PSU performance since software readings are not 100% accurate.

Although it sounds like PSU issue, we can also consider a faulty CPU cooler, you can try checking if the heatsink and the fan are firmly seated on the CPU. If you have some thermal paste you may take out both parts, clean the remains with isopropyl alcohol, apply the new paste and put everything back.

After that up the fan speed to 100% again from bios and check if it's spinning correctly. If it still crashes you can run the PC without the case cover and use a common fan to blow air directly onto the MoBo.

That's all that comes to my mind right now.

Read you soon

.C.
m
l
September 24, 2010 6:42:05 PM

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond, been pretty busy lately. The problem seems to have been a defective stick of RAM. After talking things over with the guy who helped me put the system together, I decided to RMA the RAM. I've installed the new sticks, and haven't had a problem since. I can stress test it with Prime95 and not have any issues, and I haven't had a random freeze since. Even the BSOD's have stopped, though i think they might have likely been caused by some outdated drivers i was finally able to update, or by some new ATI drivers that had been causing issues that I rolled back.

Thanks a lot for all your help!
m
l
!