HD HIS 5870 minor freeze

Blind898

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
I wasnt sure were about to post this so trying my luck here. Im having an issue that only happens ONCE per-game untill i reboot my system. Iv only seen this happen when playing games so not sure if its a video issue or not. The game(s) will freeze for a sec or half then run fine. The audio will do the loud "Durnn" sound then everything's good. I can turn the game off and turn it back on and will never see this happen until i turn my system off then back on, or i play another game that i haven't played in that time of turning my system on. I thought it was a Audio issue or drivers. Iv updated all my drivers Audio and video, Mobo and flashed my bios and still no go. Tried disabling the ati HDMI audio thinking it might be arguing with my sound card and still no go. I haven't had any issue with anything elts other then the Video cards shadowing with games on maxed settings. The shadows do this odd clipping thing or from afar its looks blocky / dos a crosshatching effect. But that's only rarely iv seen it. So far the games iv played are wow - GTA 4 - Fallout 3 - Alien swarm (new steam game).

My system is
Video - HIS 5870 turbo 1gig
mobo - Gigabyte 890fxa-ud5
cpu -AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
Sound - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Blind898

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
1k watt corsair HX PSU. Card temps around 50-60c on load. I have not tryed gaming without a sound card yet. Once i can get the next chance to sit down and pop it out and run a game i will post.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
If these stutters are during Alien Swarm, be warned that that game is an absolute b***h about overheating/killing hardware. Seriously, just check their forums -- it's full of people, with top-of-the-line builds, having this game make their computer wildly overheat/malfunction when every other source game (and many later games with more intensive engines) works just fine.

Blind898

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
The freezing pause for a sec happens on all games but the shadow deal happening on wow / fallout 3 and GTA 4. Heres a SS of what it looks like in wow. Iv tryed drivers 10.4 .5 .6 and its all the same. Thats shadows on max and i know that card can handle wow NP. Its got plenty of power goin to it. Its getting rather annoying =/ and im betting the lil freeze might be the card or something now looking at it.

wowscrnshot072510180138.jpg

Blind898

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Catalyst 10.7 should be out tomorrow so maybe that might fix this issue? Ill have free time tomorrow to take the sound card out and try onboard to see if that is the cause of the freeze. Will post tomorrow.