Annoying desktop "reset"

Hi.

Why does XP think it is necessary to reload all the desktop icons every
second time i access something, especially after using Explorer?? Kinda
annoying since it takes a while to access "everything" including CD drives.

Using XPSP2, all Windows Update patches.

Thanks,
Goran
3 answers Last reply
More about annoying desktop reset

    Shell restart as such can mean the computer is infected with malware or
    virus.

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:34:36 +0200, "Goran Ekstrom"

    >Why does XP think it is necessary to reload all the desktop icons every
    >second time i access something, especially after using Explorer?? Kinda
    >annoying since it takes a while to access "everything" including CD drives.

    A window will repaint in response to something changing in it.

    More particularly, an Explorer window (includes desktop, which is the
    zeroth instance of Explorer.exe) refreshes itself if something changes
    the way files might be displayed - such as something that touches the
    file associations in HKCR (HKLM...Classes + HKCU...Classes), or
    possibly something that changes the namespace, like a newly-discovered
    drive letter. The firsi affects the right pane, the second, the left.

    It's disturbing to think that something's "touching" the file
    associations all the time, so if there's no dynamic drive letter
    effects (polling for optical disks, or external devices that may have
    the same effect), I'd want to formally exclude malware activity.

    Are you on a LAN?

    If so, what's shared?

    Do you have drive letters mapped to LAN resources, or "web folders"?

    Do you have any items on the desktop that are neither files or
    folders, nor have shortcut arrows on them?

    Does the problem persist in Safe Mode?

    Does the problem persist if you suppress all loads in MSConfig?

    Do you have active desktop enabled?

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> skrev i
    meddelandet news:gs2cb19tl44v6rot458u93j277s5e2cf4m@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 23:34:36 +0200, "Goran Ekstrom"
    >
    >>Why does XP think it is necessary to reload all the desktop icons every
    >>second time i access something, especially after using Explorer?? Kinda
    >>annoying since it takes a while to access "everything" including CD
    >>drives.
    >
    > A window will repaint in response to something changing in it.
    >
    > More particularly, an Explorer window (includes desktop, which is the
    > zeroth instance of Explorer.exe) refreshes itself if something changes
    > the way files might be displayed - such as something that touches the
    > file associations in HKCR (HKLM...Classes + HKCU...Classes), or
    > possibly something that changes the namespace, like a newly-discovered
    > drive letter. The firsi affects the right pane, the second, the left.
    >
    > It's disturbing to think that something's "touching" the file
    > associations all the time, so if there's no dynamic drive letter
    > effects (polling for optical disks, or external devices that may have
    > the same effect), I'd want to formally exclude malware activity.
    >
    > Are you on a LAN?

    Well, sort of... Home XP computer behind a D-Link ADSL broadband router.

    > If so, what's shared?

    Except for windows defaults, a printer. "Client for MS Networks" and "File
    and Printer sharing" installed under TCP/IP.

    > Do you have drive letters mapped to LAN resources, or "web folders"?

    No.

    > Do you have any items on the desktop that are neither files or
    > folders, nor have shortcut arrows on them?

    Don't think so. What would that be?

    > Does the problem persist in Safe Mode?
    >
    > Does the problem persist if you suppress all loads in MSConfig?
    >

    > Do you have active desktop enabled?

    No.

    Seems to be somewhat random, been trying to stress test the explorer but
    messing around, opening and closing, does nothing. Suddenly, when closing
    the Control Panel, a re-draw appears.

Configuration Windows XP