JPEG to TIFF ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 31, 2004 11:09:33 AM

Hi,

I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything in
a compressed JPG format.

I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
as TIFF with LZW compression.

Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
not losing picture quality.

More about : jpeg tiff

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:37:10 AM

Is there a point in saving a jpeg file as tiff? You camera already
compressed it in the first place, why waste hard disc space?

It is a good idea to use a losless format while editing and multiple
saving, but if you edit the file only once (contrast, brightness, etc.)
and save it as a jpeg again, you will not lose much quality, but rather
save disc space.

Have in mind that it is a good idea to use less compression for jpeg
files - in your camera and in your editing software, both.
I think my 2MB jpeg images are big, but that is in my opinion.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:42:34 PM

"Amamba" <egroy@mailexcite.com> wrote in message

> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
> not losing picture quality.

You could try saving them as .png files. The compression's lossless, and
the resulting files will fall somewhere between a .jpg and a compressed .tif
in size. Probably a bit closer to the TIFF, but still more manageable.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:02:35 PM

On 31 Dec 2004 08:09:33 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Amamba"
<egroy@mailexcite.com> wrote:

>I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything in
>a compressed JPG format.
>
>I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
>as TIFF with LZW compression.
>
>Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
>camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
>uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
>not losing picture quality.

Do you care about the contained exif info at all? Or do you use one of the
utile to read that out and store in another place?
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:19:11 PM

In article <1104509373.412835.158070@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Amamba" <egroy@mailexcite.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything in
> a compressed JPG format.
>
> I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
> as TIFF with LZW compression.
>
> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
> not losing picture quality.

What's wrong with saving the post-processed file as a JPEG? JPEG is
only a problem if you intend to edit it and save it repeatedly.
Actually, 8 bits per pixel is a problem too for heavy editing. If I
decide that a post-processed file stinks, I start over with the camera's
original file. Use 16 bit per pixel TIFF or PSD as a file format during
extended processing.
December 31, 2004 7:24:01 PM

Have you tried minimal compression of JPEG ie setting 1 in PSP ?. The
resultant file will be approx half size and appears to lose very little.

..

"Amamba" <egroy@mailexcite.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything in
> a compressed JPG format.
>
> I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
> as TIFF with LZW compression.
>
> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
> not losing picture quality.

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 9:15:21 PM

IMO while TIFF is lossless, and a standard that some like, or even require,
TIFF as an 8 bit format is rather useless.

As your jpg image is 8 bit, you have already lost detail that a 12 (16 bit)
format offeres.

IMO just same the original jpg. If you work with the image, save the final
copy as a high end jpg. That is very close, or as good as a TIFF.

If you really want to get the most out of your images, start with RAW.

Ron

"Amamba" <egroy@mailexcite.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything in
> a compressed JPG format.
>
> I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
> as TIFF with LZW compression.
>
> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
> not losing picture quality.

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 10:27:15 PM

"Darin Kaloyanov" <dkaloyanov@gmail.com> wrote in

> Is there a point in saving a jpeg file as tiff? You camera already
> compressed it in the first place, why waste hard disc space?

Post processing, as he Amamba mentioned.

I'm wondering if they are overthinking the process. Does *every* pic really
need post? I usually store the RAW+JPEG (easy quick contact sheets with the
JPEGS) that comes off my camera, and apply post only to what is needed as
needed.
January 1, 2005 1:11:31 AM

Hi,

JPEG at maximum res. and minimal compression should be fine for most
amateur users. I get beautiful 8.5 x 11" prints these settings. No matter
what you think you'll do with the image, shoot it at best quality. You can
always change it later.

Mort

Amamba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything in
> a compressed JPG format.
>
> I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
> as TIFF with LZW compression.
>
> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
> not losing picture quality.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:23:06 AM

"Amamba" <egroy@mailexcite.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything in
> a compressed JPG format.
>
> I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
> as TIFF with LZW compression.
>
> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
> not losing picture quality.

If it's real important to you, to save in a lossless format - because say
you plan to edit and save many times, you can use pse3 to save as a jpeg2000
(and select lossless as an option). I think you'll find the resultant file
less that half the size of a tiff. You cannot preserve layers though. Will
jpeg2000 files be around in 10 years? I don't know.

See:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2003/11/14/d...
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/10/1068329478819...
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=jpeg2000+lossless+comp...
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:33:38 PM

The Fuji E550 can shoot in RAW format (go to the SET function under
menu to set to RAW). Good luck.
Amamba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything
in
> a compressed JPG format.
>
> I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
> as TIFF with LZW compression.
>
> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
> not losing picture quality.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:58:48 PM

<amyjer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Fuji E550 can shoot in RAW format (go to the SET function under
> menu to set to RAW). Good luck.
> Amamba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Fuji E550 6mp camera that, unfortunately, saves everything
> in
>> a compressed JPG format.
>>
>> I always post-process all pictures in Adobe PhotoDeluxe and save them
>> as TIFF with LZW compression.
>>
>> Is there a better way to save them ? E.g. a 1.4MB JPG file from the
>> camera turns into a 10.5 MB file as compressed TIFF, or 14 MB as
>> uncompressed TIFF. I'd like to keep the file size to a minimum while
>> not losing picture quality.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons _not_ to use RAW, especially as
your -so-called negative which you plan to save forever (I don't mean _you_,
exactly, but mean _you_ conceptually. Check out the link below. The author
is a bit maddening, but he has some interesting points on file formats.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Cheers
Don Forsling
ddforsling@msn.com
"Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"
!