Instead of reinstalling WinXP, I installed Win 7 Home Premium / 64-bit ver in a new hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 1 TB, 7200 RPM). Kept getting CPU error until I changed the rate down to 200 (default was 600). My system has been working fine for three days now. I got to reinstall all software packages (MS Office, Nitro PDF Pro, Google Chrome, Picasa 3, RealPlayer, etc.).
My system includes:
- MB: Asus P8P67;
- CPU: Intel Core i5 (i5-2400 LGA 1155);
- Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W;
- Mem: 2 ea 4GB Corsair XMS3, DDR3 1600; (at slots A2 & B2 as recommended)
- Hard drives: (1) Pri- brand new Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 7200 RPM) and (2) Sec- Maxtor 500 GB (from old system);
- LG BlueRay SATA Disc Combo CH12;
- D-Link Wireless USB card; and
- reused video card from old system.
So far so good.