Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba 500 GB external drive error

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 1, 2012 11:35:11 AM

Hello,
I have a problem with my toshiba drive. I bought it from Germany before three months. It worked ok, but now when I plug it in it makes a sound like a tik every second for 30 seconds then it stops for 1 minute and then again for about 20 seconds the tik noise. After that it don't appears in the auto play. When I go to device manager there is a yellow sign with an ! in it. it has the name usb mass storage device.
I don't know what to do I have about 200 GB storage on it and it is very important to me.
So if anyone knows what should I do please write me!
Thanks for reading!
a b G Storage
December 1, 2012 4:21:09 PM

Try to avoid using or connecting the drive to the system unless necessary.

Create a live boot disk (ubuntuu) and boot your computer with it, however ensure the problem drive is connected. Once the system is up and running via the live disk, try to access the problem HDD and if allowed to do so, copy the contents off the drive where possible.
December 5, 2012 12:23:44 PM

Thank you, but now that is not the problem. I opened the disk and it seems that the disk has a scratch in the middle like a circle. I made a video. Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYdQLrQmu64&feature=plcp

Please if you know if this can work with a scratch tell me what should I do. I am not so good with HDD and i broke my laptop HDD and this is my second one :/ 
Thanks again for the info!
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 6, 2012 12:48:51 AM

Sorry bud, but you are SOL!!!
December 7, 2012 2:53:26 PM

NO WAY DUDE!!! YOU OPENED THE DRIVE???? you are a viking!!!
!