Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

500GB sata hard disk not detected in BIOS and Disk management using USB sata cab

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 1, 2012 12:55:01 PM

Hello,

Recently I had a issue with my Hard disk in my laptop. After diagnostic test, it was giving Hard disk : partition 0 status 7 error. Then I replace this not working hard disk with new Hard disk.
Now my laptop is working with the new hard disk.

But I have some important data in my old hard disk and to recover those data from that old hard disk, I connect this hard disk to my laptop using USB SATA cable. But after rebooting , this old not working hard disk is not detected neither in BIOS nor in disk management.

What do I need to do , so that this old hard disk is detected in both disk management and also in BIOS ?

Thanks,



laptop-Dell Vostro 1550
hard disk- SATA, 5400RPM, FW-T3


a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
December 1, 2012 8:36:08 PM

Can you see a USB mass storage device in Device Manager?

How does Microsoft's UVCView utility see the external drive?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.ex...

Can UVCView see the USB-SATA bridge board if you disconnect the drive from the board?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 2, 2012 9:26:17 AM

fzabkar said:
Can you see a USB mass storage device in Device Manager?

How does Microsoft's UVCView utility see the external drive?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.ex...

Can UVCView see the USB-SATA bridge board if you disconnect the drive from the board?


Hi fzabkar,

I can see my faulty device in device manager as following "<faulty hdd model name >USB device" after expanding "Disc drives" section.

Here faulty hdd model name is the one which is printed on the hard disk.

But I can not see any information related to this faulty hard disk in "disk management" section.

Microsoft UVCView saw this as USB mass storage device.
With UVCView, I can not see USB-SATA mass Storage device when I disconnect the drive from the board.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
December 2, 2012 3:11:18 PM

It appears that the drive is spinning up and identifying itself to the bridge board but not allowing read access. Was it password protected?

Can you give us a report of what HDDScan or HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo are able to see? What is the drive's security status? Reported Capacity?

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

CrystalDiskInfo:
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-...
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 4:51:26 PM

fzabkar said:
It appears that the drive is spinning up and identifying itself to the bridge board but not allowing read access. Was it password protected?

Can you give us a report of what HDDScan or HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo are able to see? What is the drive's security status? Reported Capacity?

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

CrystalDiskInfo:
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-...


Hi ,

It was not password protected. It's state was the default one. I did not enable password for this drive.

All the above , HD Sentinel, HDDScan and CrytalDiskInfo , only displays the details regarding the working HDD. It does not display any details regarding the older hard disk. How to find the details for this older one ? Any specific steps to execute , so that this drive is also displayed in HDD Scan and in others ?
Disk size is 500.1 GB.

Thanks
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
December 3, 2012 5:42:55 PM

When the drive spins up, it should respond to an ATA Identify Device command with a block of 512 bytes that includes its model number, serial number, firmware version, capacity, and feature set. Sometimes a drive will have internal problems, in which case it may report a "factory alias" instead of its model number, or it may report a capacity of 0 bytes or 2TiB, or it may report a strange serial number.

What is the model number reported by Device Manager? What is the model number on the drive's label?

Do you have some way of accessing the drive directly, ie from a SATA port on your computer's motherboard?
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 4:14:45 AM

fzabkar said:
When the drive spins up, it should respond to an ATA Identify Device command with a block of 512 bytes that includes its model number, serial number, firmware version, capacity, and feature set. Sometimes a drive will have internal problems, in which case it may report a "factory alias" instead of its model number, or it may report a capacity of 0 bytes or 2TiB, or it may report a strange serial number.

What is the model number reported by Device Manager? What is the model number on the drive's label?

Do you have some way of accessing the drive directly, ie from a SATA port on your computer's motherboard?


Hi,

Yes, the model number which gets displayed in the Device manager is Same as the one which is printed on the hard disk.
No there is no way to access the SATA port on Computer's mother board externally.

HDD scan and other does not show any details specific to this hard disk(connected by SATA bridge). it only does show the internal one . I did refresh many a times also, but it only displays the internal one.

Is there any specific way to execute " ATA Identify Device Command" from HDD Scan and other's ?
m
0
l
December 14, 2012 4:53:31 AM

This issue is solved using linux OS.

I execute the following steps in linux based syetem

1. Connected my external not working hard disk using SATA USB cable.

2. Laptop is up with Linux OS . Please note that it takes few minutes longer than normal boot up. Please wait.

3. Open the terminal and log -in as root user.

4 . execute fdisk -l command to list all the disk connected to the system . Here it displays the faulty hdd also. Identify correctly the
faulty drive .
5. mount that drive to some other location , say for e.g in /media/ .

Now after mount is successful. I am able to see the contents of my faulty drive .

6. Next copied to appropriated location ,as required.

Here linux really helps me to recover my data.

m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
December 14, 2012 5:43:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
m
0
l
!