Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire a SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2010 3:36:45 AM

I want to Crossfire a graphics card, however, the original one that I purchased seems to be discontinued:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ideally, I want to use the same one, but I'm not familiar with other strong vendors. If it can't be found elsewhere, what options do I have for Crossfire with this graphics card? Thank you in advance!

Aerdan
August 28, 2010 4:53:00 AM

Bump? :) 
m
l
December 11, 2010 7:02:29 PM

Bumping again, still looking to see what may work. Thank you!
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2012 6:20:38 PM

I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same issue. I can't find the Sapphire 5850 HD anywhere (100282SR). Unless you were able to find a place to get one I guess I may just end up having to upgrade instead of using crossfire.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 144 U Graphics card
January 19, 2012 9:12:48 PM

This is often the problem with Crossfire/SLI. If you don't set it up at the time of building the system, there may not be any available (or any reasonably priced) when you do decide to get the second card.

In this case, if you simply google, HD5850, there are plenty of cards available. However, since they are older, higher end cards, the price for them has increased.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 20, 2012 2:40:40 AM

Thanks, that's pretty much what I'd expected after searching around, I had my fingers crossed that someone might have seen something I'd missed. I'm probably going to hold out since my computer does everything I need for now. It just seems too bad that I can find other 5850 HD's at a low cost but not my specific model. Such is life.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 144 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 11:22:08 AM

@ septentriones - Is there any reason why you need your specific model? You can crossfire your HD5850 with any other manufacturer's HD5850.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 20, 2012 3:17:36 PM

Thanks djrabbit I'll have to go through those. There isn't a real reason to have to have the same exact model Wolfshadw, I just thought that it might complicate things to use 5850's from different manufacturer's and since I'm still rather new to building systems I wanted to make everything as simple as possible for myself. (I also recalled a friend who had two gpu's from different manufacturers and that he had to flash one to crossfire with the other, I don't remember the specific model.) I would assume from your answer that it isn't that important to have the same manufacturer?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 144 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 4:31:23 PM

Having the same manufacturer is not a requirement at all for either Crossfire or SLI. The two cards only have match in model number. In some Crossfire cases, the two cards only need to be very similar.

I can't be certain as to what your friend was trying to do, but it sounds like he actually had two different cards (like an HD6850 and an HD6870) and was trying to flash the HD6850 to the HD6870 specs. While you can crossfire an HD6850 with an HD6870, the HD6870 would slow down to match the HD6850. If your friend flashed the HD6850 to match the HD6870, then both cards would run at the HD6870 Crossfire performance level.

-Wolf sends
m
l
January 20, 2012 9:48:02 PM

septentriones said:
Thanks djrabbit I'll have to go through those. There isn't a real reason to have to have the same exact model Wolfshadw, I just thought that it might complicate things to use 5850's from different manufacturer's and since I'm still rather new to building systems I wanted to make everything as simple as possible for myself. (I also recalled a friend who had two gpu's from different manufacturers and that he had to flash one to crossfire with the other, I don't remember the specific model.) I would assume from your answer that it isn't that important to have the same manufacturer?

As long as it has a 5850 chipset then you can cross fire it. Also you're welcome :) 
m
l
!