Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cooling and noise computer case comparison

Last response: in Components
November 15, 2010 3:28:38 PM

Does anyone know if tomshardware or another link that has used an Intel build and AMD build to compare the cooling ability and measure the noise of the different available computer cases?

COMPUTER CASES change less frequently than CPU, it would be great if Tomshardware did a Bi-annual or at the very least annual comparison of the cooling effect and noise production of different available computer cases.

Should be easy to do:

1. Use default case fans and test with same exact innards of an Intel build and an AMD build for all cases tested. Then measure decibels at same distance for noise produced and benchmark the temperatures of each case performing under the same conditions.

2. Repeat test with Computer Case fans maxed per case specifications for each case.

3. Repeat with different options offered under cooling specifications for each computer case. For example: Back of computer case: one 200mm fan or two 120mm fans.

4. Repeat test with OC'd CPUs.

Has this been done anywhere? Link (s) please

Any ideas to improve on how computer case comparisons should be tested?

Any way Tomshardware would perform these computer case vs computer case tests and comparisons?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 15, 2010 4:09:43 PM

Hello redrumzombie, Welcome to THW.

I belive you are looking for something on the lines of these articles by Tom's: (I belive they used i7 internals no AMD, and I doubt they added fans only used what is included with the case)

Part 1: Four Gaming Enclosures Under $50

Part 2: Four More Gaming Enclosures Under $50

Roundup: Four Gaming Cases Under $150

There are probably too many articles to list really, check out the rest here:

Cases: Articles & Reviews

As for your other questions:

1. See Above
2. Also See Above (I belive they use stock case parts to thier full potential)
3. I doubt Tom's would do a comparison review of different fan options other than the stock fans, too many variables.
4. Tom's uses OC'd i7's on some of the tests I listed
November 18, 2010 9:25:00 PM

Thanks for the response thechief73. I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such a chiefly manner (hey hey is everybody happy?) Seriously though, I like your answer and love the information you provided.
I only wish the cpu cooling and noise test could be part of every Computer Case review, that tomshardware.com does. But HEY, that’s the greedy, geeky wishful thinking stat lover in me. I’d love to be able to see all the cases I’m considering under a list which I could sort by price, overall cooling ability, noise produced, and other options. And of course graphs, yummy yummy graphs (I’m drooling thinking about the possibility).
OPPS, sorry I got off my main subject and that was to thank you for your answer and the valuable (I love this stuff) data you provided.
Related resources
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 9:39:34 PM

Its a tricky thing that you are asking for.. Most cases are made as per the needs and requirements of systems divided categorically.. As such, a standard setup will be inappropriate to sort out the comparisons between two dissimilar (mostly on the price front) cases.. For instance, if an Antec 300 priced around 50$ can handle a highly overclocked i7 980X along with a couple of high end video cards and few other standard components adequately, then, aesthetics aside, there is little point putting up a 200$ HAF-X against for comparison..
November 18, 2010 10:01:33 PM

Emperus said:
Its a tricky thing that you are asking for.. Most cases are made as per the needs and requirements of systems divided categorically.. As such, a standard setup will be inappropriate to sort out the comparisons between two dissimilar (mostly on the price front) cases.. For instance, if an Antec 300 priced around 50$ can handle a highly overclocked i7 980X along with a couple of high end video cards and few other standard components adequately, then, aesthetics aside, there is little point putting up a 200$ HAF-X against for comparison..

I can kind of see your point, but at the same time don't we do this all the time with anything worth comparing?

That's why there is always a value to performance chart with many of these things.

Plus, look at it this way, if a $200 case can stay to the exact same degree of a $50case (or has the same noise level), then one will look at the other options a case offers to meet their needs.

Disagree? Please explain why.

a c 91 ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 10:29:48 PM

Well, my point was that certain cases are built keeping certain criterias in the view and as such, a standard rig wont suffice to value or test for every case out there.. Noise and temperature don't always go hand in hand.. Certain cases (Antec 1200 for example) is primarily made keeping airflow in view and little has been done to keep the noise levels down.. Then again, someone opting for it wont exactly be building a home theatre pc.. As I said before, its a tricky topic for discussion.. Expect more insights to come from others soon..
a c 164 ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 11:13:40 PM

redrumzombie said:
Does anyone know if tomshardware or another link that has used an Intel build and AMD build to compare the cooling ability and measure the noise of the different available computer cases?

COMPUTER CASES change less frequently than CPU, it would be great if Tomshardware did a Bi-annual or at the very least annual comparison of the cooling effect and noise production of different available computer cases.

Should be easy to do:

1. Use default case fans and test with same exact innards of an Intel build and an AMD build for all cases tested. Then measure decibels at same distance for noise produced and benchmark the temperatures of each case performing under the same conditions.

2. Repeat test with Computer Case fans maxed per case specifications for each case.

3. Repeat with different options offered under cooling specifications for each computer case. For example: Back of computer case: one 200mm fan or two 120mm fans.

4. Repeat test with OC'd CPUs.

Has this been done anywhere? Link (s) please

Any ideas to improve on how computer case comparisons should be tested?

Any way Tomshardware would perform these computer case vs computer case tests and comparisons?

1. most of the people who purchase after market cases use after market coolers. So comparing an i5-750 build to a phenom II x4 955 build would be pointless. we know the stock coolers get loud and there are plenty of after market cooler reviews on the web that will tell us how loud the fans are.

2. both bit-tech and kit guru run similar tests.

3. cooling specifications? there are cooling specs for a case? as in this case must be run with stock fans only and in a 25c room? care to go into more detail here?

4. why? once again, this is after market cooler territory.

Cases are all about looks, budget, looks, some added value (some are gimmicky, some are nice) and looks. One person's idea of a nice looking case could be someone idea of junk. Some people may like a tool free HDD, others want thumb screws. Some people like side windows, some don't, etc.,
a c 164 ) Power supply
November 18, 2010 11:19:54 PM

redrumzombie said:
I can kind of see your point, but at the same time don't we do this all the time with anything worth comparing?

That's why there is always a value to performance chart with many of these things.

those are mostly quantitative charts. CPU #1 has this benchmark Y result, CPU #2 has this X. Therefore one has a better figure then the other.

cases are mostly about qualitative decisions; the HAF 922 holds more fans then the Corsair 600T but the HAF looks like a mini-fridge painted black plus the corsair has cooler door panels, etc.,
November 18, 2010 11:59:01 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I guess my wanting to be able to pick the case is that is the best stems from someone posting the case they are getting ‘case X’; then someone else saying that Y case is better.
I know my case now gets easily overheated and I have aftermarket fans on it everywhere possible. So, I want to do everything I can to avoid this.
So, thank you all again. I guess I need to be more specific , for my next thread I will post the Computer Case options I have and see what the best one is by everyone's point of view and why.
a c 164 ) Power supply
November 19, 2010 12:37:59 AM

you need to go into more detail of what is inside your case in terms of hardware and how your fans are positioned. what temps are you getting, what are your room temps? tossing a fan in every spot in your case can actually ruin air flow and create more heat.
November 19, 2010 9:25:23 PM

Best answer selected by redrumzombie.
a b ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 6:33:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!