First Sandy Bridge overclocking results

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Calm down. 1.5 volts. Every time a new chip comes out it is overclocked extremely high. The fan boys then all go nuts over it. This goes for both Intel and AMD fanboys by the way.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Whoa, dont all drop ya pants just yet kids, would rather see the chips on the market to then be overclocked to see the results.

Whos knows ,that chip could be a market ploy from Intel to hype up Sandy Bridge.

Actually, why do i care? I have a i7.. Will worry about upgrading in years to come

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yeah - gaming wise new CPUs = meh.

As games progress to be more and more threaded the CPU is only going to be even less relevant than it is now.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
^You are wrong.Sandy bridge cpus will be extremely affordable.
May i know the source of your information Dipankar?
I am thinking of upgrading to i7..And I think the i7 is starting to become very affordable..I dont think Intel is keen on losing money even if it does introduce the Sandy Bridge..i7 has still a long life span from the marketing point of view(my guess is around 2 1/2 years)..You can of course give me your personal opinions..
But what i want more than anything is real based facts due to the fact of my interest in buying an i7..

Gulftown is still expensive around $999..

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

Sandy Bridge IS going to be the "new" i5s and i7s.......i5 2400 and i5 2500, and i7 2600.

All indications are that SB chips will slot in around the same price as the current lineups.

If Intel started every new chip at $1000.....how many new computers are Dell and HP gonna realistically sell? Doesn't work that way. Its like saying that Toyota is coming out with a new model Camry, so therefore it will be priced at $100,000 upon release just because its new and has 15 more horsepower than the current Camry. Think about it.

^ +10. That's what the Anandtech preview mentioned - i7-2600K in the $500 range, on down to a bit over $200 for the i5-2400 (which was the CPU reviewed, albeit an engineering sample with beta drivers, BIOS and some features like turbo disabled - still had a very good performance in gaming, comparable to the current flagship i7-980X in some benchies).

Of course these are merely the initial mainstream chips - we'll have to wait until Q2 - Q3 for the performance and extreme versions. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10-core, 20-thread monster priced over $1K for the absolute e-peen crowd :p.

kivan2400

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The way i understand this is, like the new CPUs SB are not really good for gaming ?

so would it be better to buy the I7 950 ? and have 3-channel ram ? = 3x2 gb

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

I think this is an exaggeration.

"Not Good" for gaming? Not true. Everyone used to say that the best price/performance combo was an i5 760 on an 1156 mobo. SB is the new generation of that, and kicks i5 760's butt. i7 950 and 1366 boards have more PCI bandwidth, which is important to SOME people when they talk about running 2 video cards at maximum together. Although tests have shown that with current vid cards, it doesn't impact real world performance much whether you run 2 cards at x8/x8 or x16/x16

popatim

Titan
On that overclock; keep in mind that intels engineering sample cpus are completely unlocked. You set your frequency and multiplier just like in the old days. I suspect that there are frequncy limits on SB thou, at least the ones with the integrated graphics core.

Btw Sandy Bridge chip are cool and can be overclocked on air to high clock which means its crap basically with LN2. You won't get as high clock under LN2 as you would on air. And yes that's on cherry items not retail chips. Retail chip they struggle to reach 5Ghz on LN2.

To get the high clock rates on sandy Bridge you'll have to start with temps around 10 to get it up to 6. -193 you won't get that high

And you know this how? because I am pretty sure getting a higher clock on air is a good thing as it means they need less cooling to hit higher temps.

And the LN2 crowd will have a newer one to come to them, one that has a BIOS that allows for higher multipliers than 57. So until then we should wait and see.

If it gets that high on air it will a big no no for LN2. It won't reach high clock rates on it

So even though a Phenom I couldn't reach much past 3GHz stable on air, it should have gone insanley high on LN2? Because it didn't. Phenom II did but that was a iteration on Phenom I, not the exact same CPU.

And I remember Core 2 45nm was hitting 4.5GHz with high end air cooling and still went pretty damn high on LN2.

TRENDING THREADS