Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to connect 2 ethernet cables

Last response: in Networking
April 11, 2010 7:00:41 PM

If i have 2 ethernet cables can i use a roiter thats not Ctually connected to the internet as ac oupling device?
Anonymous
April 11, 2010 7:18:27 PM

You could, but you could also use a simple block connector which has two female ethernet connectors back to back.
m
l
April 11, 2010 9:26:05 PM

Let me give you the situation. Im getting my highspeed internet activated on tuesday. Ihave a 2wire modem already though. The modem has a built in 4-port router. I have one computer in the kitchen, which is adjacent to the office where i am keeping the modem/router. I have 2 sortof long ethernet cables, which hooked together are the perfect lenth. Of course, i need to somehow hook them tigether. I do not have one of those things u mentioned, but i know what you are referring to. Could i confgure an extra router i have lying around to serve as a passthrougj? How do i do this? I havent been able to get into the settings of the router becusse i dont know how. Strange as my other equipment, the modem and yet another extra wireless router i have are. Gateway. 2wire.net and the netgear is routerlogin.net. If u have any ideas as to how to access my trendnet outer, its a tw100-s4w1ca. I have tried the one i found on the website, 192.168.1.1, along with 192.168.1.1. Thans in adbance
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
April 12, 2010 8:15:30 AM

I think you need to disable DHCP and change the default IP address in the second router but have a look at this (though obviously it's about using second router as a wireless booster).

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Accessing Trendnet router setup screens ? I don't have one of these models (though I do have about 5 other brands for some reason). I'd suggest getting the manual from the maker's site. On most brands it's usually 192.168.0.1 and User Name admin, Password admin (or blank). If the default address stated in the manual is not responding, use the reset button on the router to restore factory settings.
April 13, 2010 3:10:37 PM

Tried that ip adress. I looked at that article, and got an idea: i do have another netgear wireless g 614 omg!!!
m
l
April 22, 2010 11:58:56 PM

Best answer selected by shovenose.
m
l
!